Cat jl5

David

Aug 11, 2012
Here is a review of the CAT JL5 by a dutch reviewer.
He liked my speakers but due to these being big / transport issues it never became a proper review.
I could see myself buy a second hand JL5 / black path and keep my JL2 sign but put 6550 s in them instead of the KT120 i have now

I know someone who has a CAT JL5 Black Path to sell in Europe ... just for your information.

Reactions: Stef

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I can make a trade in at a dealer for a JL 5 .
But i m just not sure if i wanna swap my 85 kg (big power supply ) beast for a 4O kg amp
What would i gain ??

Ps i have heard its quiter due to the amorphous core design

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Having owned the JL 5 black path now for about 9 months i can say its definitively better .

Most distinguishable characteristic is that this power amp is dead quit compared to the JL 2 sign.
No transformer hum nothing just music .
It has see through transparency and off course CAT humanness / realness and dynamics .
The old JL 2 is more like a old 6 liter V8 while the JL5 is a refined hybrid with the same horsepower.

I have listened to a lot of amplification over the past year and a half and to be honest i miss nothing .
Together with the latest version of the CAT legend SL1 i purchased it plays on top of the game imo .
For a lot less money , sometimes i think about changing but would it be better ???
I doubt it.

Different yes , but i would also lose something if the CAT was gone

Ps plus this JL 5 has only 8 KT 120 s so cheap to replace if ever needed
Never had a problem with the JL 2 sign in the 8 years i owned it .
CAT gear is great gear

Attachments

• CAT JL 5.jpg
    CAT JL 5.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211106_111819.jpg
    20211106_111819.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing