Cat jl5

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Anyone has any first hand experience with the CAT JL5 especially the amorphous core version? In Feb 2015 german magazine HiFi & Records reports it as the best tube amplifier they have ever heard (they have also tested the JL2 recently).
Tim

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Do you happen to have an English version of the review? What other amps did they compare it to? I have owned the JL2 for many years so am also interested in the latest developments including the Amorphous core. Many thanks

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Do you happen to have an English version of the review? What other amps did they compare it to? I have owned the JL2 for many years so am also interested in the latest developments including the Amorphous core. Many thanks

No english translation. I've used the google translate for the conclusions section.The original pdf can be located at the German distributor site.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Having heard many of the other CAT amps, I am sure that the new JL5 with the amorphous core is very special. I recently heard a new CAT Renaissance with the Black path cap mods...my new favorite preamp!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Anyone know what the amorphous core is all about?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone know what the amorphous core is all about?

Usually it means low loss, but they have other problems... best to ask CAT about this. Changing amps again????

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Usually it means low loss, but they have other problems... best to ask CAT about this. Changing amps again????

Need something to drive my new speakers.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Need something to drive my new speakers.

New speakers... OK; I must have missed a chapter. Or do you mean the Pass cannot drive your M-Pros...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I'm thinking of getting S7's.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
sorry to hear the M-Pros aren't doing it for you, MadFloyd - hope you can find a speaker that really suits you.

as far as CAT, working with that company requires patience. and you should be warned his amps can heat a small barracks :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
sorry to hear the M-Pros aren't doing it for you, MadFloyd - hope you can find a speaker that really suits you.

as far as CAT, working with that company requires patience. and you should be warned his amps can heat a small barracks :)

I never said anything about my M-Pros not doing it for me. I hug them at least once a week and at 400lbs each, they provide me with lots of exercise. :)

nextlevel

Aug 22, 2016
I never said anything about my M-Pros not doing it for me. I hug them at least once a week and at 400lbs each, they provide me with lots of exercise. :)
Hello MadFloyd. I see that you are using the CAT JL7S! Congratulations! How is the sound compared to the Pass XS-150? Are you using the KT-150 tube?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hello MadFloyd. I see that you are using the CAT JL7S! Congratulations! How is the sound compared to the Pass XS-150? Are you using the KT-150 tube?

The JL7's have a richer midbass & midrange than the Pass which is more extended (as you might expect between tubes and solid state). Yes, I have the KT-150's which I love. Both amplifiers have their virtues. The Pass can sound a little more mechanical and steely in the upper midrange (the latter can benefit some instruments). I think the Pass is also more detailed (or at least one can perceive it that way due to more high frequency energy) and has a wider soundstage.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi so did you get the S7s? What pre do you use with the CATs?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi so did you get the S7s? What pre do you use with the CATs?

No, I never got the S7's. I was actually just attempting to get a rise out of forum member ack (of course it didn't work). I wasn't starting a second system and I'm totally satisfied with my M-Pro's.

I'm currently using the Pass XS pre with my CATs. That may change. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, I never got the S7's. I was actually just attempting to get a rise out of forum member ack (of course it didn't work). I wasn't starting a second system and I'm totally satisfied with my M-Pro's.

Always wanted to listen to a quality SS pre into a quality valve power. Normally get to hear the other way round. It would be good if you can audition the CAT pre and see the difference.

What differences have you found in vocals, tones of violin and woodwinds, brass, and general orchestral?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The JL7's have a richer midbass & midrange than the Pass which is more extended (as you might expect between tubes and solid state). Yes, I have the KT-150's which I love. Both amplifiers have their virtues. The Pass can sound a little more mechanical and steely in the upper midrange (the latter can benefit some instruments). I think the Pass is also more detailed (or at least one can perceive it that way due to more high frequency energy) and has a wider soundstage.

I am glad you are enjoying some of the virtues of tubes!

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013

Many thanks for the update. What is recovery of low level info such as hall ambience like with the JL7s? Are you using any support under the amps and what power cable are using? Look forward to further updates especially if you get to try a different preamp such as the Legend.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Ian, if you do change your preamp to a CAT, I think you will then see why I am such a big fan of Ken's gear.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing