Cat jl5

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi Ian,

Congrats on the CAT amps with your M-Pro's! I bet they sound phenomenal. I have to agree with DaveyF about replacing the Pass XS Pre with the CAT preamp with phono stage. I don't think you have the final word on the CAT sound until you try this combo. IMO, it would be like having the Pass XS Pre with the ARC Ref250SE, instead of the ARC Ref10. You may be missing out on some serious synergy. Best to give it a try.

All the best,
Ken

My problem with using a CAT preamp is the actual usability - very large 2db volume steps (with dual controls) and no remote control. That said, have always wanted to try one.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
My problem with using a CAT preamp is the actual usability - very large 2db volume steps (with dual controls) and no remote control. That said, have always wanted to try one.

Keith, in all the years I have owned the CAT, the volume control ( with its slightly larger steps) has never been a problem. Ken believes that the purity that the resistor based control brings is well worth the step issue. ( although, I believe he does offer a lower step version as an option on his new Renaissance model). The lack of a remote control...good for a little exercise, lol. ( Ken says no remote, as the circuitry is also an issue for ultimate SQ).:)

Last edited:

tedtag

Jul 19, 2016
Georgia
Keith, in all the years I have owned the CAT, the volume control ( with its slightly larger steps) has never been a problem. Ken believes that the purity that the resistor based control brings is well worth the step issue. ( although, I believe he does offer a lower step version as an option on his new Renaissance model). The lack of a remote control...good for a little exercise, lol. ( Ken says no remote, as the circuitry is also an issue for ultimate SQ).:)

The Legend has pretty small steps so its easy to dial in the volume. I'm not sure about the Renaissance but I've got one of their brochures on the newest model and can check on that and report back. The Legend also has 2 gain settings that can be easily switched, but you have to take the top off. I've got mine on the high gain setting with the Maggies and listen mostly right at 12:00 on the dial. But those are not the most efficient speakers at 86 db. I was considering getting the Avantgarde Duo XD's with 107 db efficiency and if I had those speakers, that gain switch would have come in pretty handy. I might switch it to the lower setting with the Vivids that are 91 db efficiency, after a little trial and error.

Not having a remote was a big issue at first ........ but only in my mind! I don't miss it one bit but initially thought it would be a deal breaker. After living with the Legend for a couple of months, I've found that I usually listen within a range of about 3 clicks on the volume dial. I've started using small Avery labels (Office Depot) on my album covers to write down my favorite volume setting for each record. Then most of the time I listen to entire album sides all the way through. I miss the mute button more than volume because if someone walks in, like my wife, she has to shout to get my attention until I get up and turn it down. Of course that can be handled by a simple policy adjustment; "no visitors during listening sessions or visitors by invitation only!".

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Heat aint a problem with CAT imo , neither the pre amp vol control, today we have the hottest sept day of the century 27 degrees , and also in summer with 30 plus no problem .
The volume step " problem " can be kind of solved with a lower wattage power amp , when i use the CAT pre ultimate mk 2 / JL 2 sign with KT 120 tubes ,very dynamic / agile and the sound can be like a freightrain so powerfull on high volume , but it can be adjusted softer and with more steps when used with a 10 or 20 watt transistor " hawk A 18 " for a substantial increase in volume .
This is off course possible only if the speakers can handle both amps.
OTL s are heat monsters the Graaf GM 200 i had was really a heater .
Only downside i find of tube power amps is the slight transformerhum that fills the room and is noticable when switched off , i do have the poweramp between the speakers , maybe the JL 5 with the new transformer core is better in that regard , plus the transformercasing can have a bit more resonance control
Still a very happy cat owner , i own the pre for 5 years and the power amp for about 2 years, no problems , very reliable

PS if 2 tube monoblocs are used it might be a different story , i dont know , one more reason to design relatively high eff. speakers , less cost less heat less parts less problems ....:D

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree completely with the isolation on the CJ GAT. Those hard plastic feet just didn't cut it. I've tried several isolation devices and settled for now with Herbies Big Fat Tenderfeet for about $60. I've also got tube dampers on both tubes and found that to provide a nice improvement.

Can't really comment with total accuracy about the Gat2 upgrade because I switched from a Shunyata Titan V1 to a V2 at the same time. They both arrived the same day and in a state of blind enthusiasm, put them both in the system at the same time! I will say the upgrade from both was incredible but can't say how much of that was the preamp and how much the power conditioner upgrade. And since I sent back my V1, I won't get a second chance! CJ did turn the Gat around in 3 weeks as promised. They have been terrific to work with for years.

Thanks for that...good to compare notes with fellow CJ GAT owners!

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
What flavor of tubes sound the best in the CAT Preamp/Phono? We tried many tube dampers , most just choked the life out of the music. 6922's by Siemens was always my favorite tube.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
What flavor of tubes sound the best in the CAT Preamp/Phono? We tried many tube dampers , most just choked the life out of the music. 6922's by Siemens was always my favorite tube.

I happen to really like the NOS Mullards and the NOS GE's. Tele's are also nice. The stock Ei's are ok,but I think the NOS Mullards are a lot better.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
The Black colored capacitors in the preamp/phono .22uf 1000V. , are they film foil Teflons? Copper , Tin or Silver film?

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve used JJ ( i think thats what comes with a new unit ) i bought mine second hand so i am not sure, i like sovtek as well , to me its a class act ,i havent done much tuberolling i havent been able to get bad sound out of it no complaints
I did have the unit checked together with the tubes .
I made a mistake during transport and a switch broke of of the pre , so i had all the microswitches replaced , by shorter ones which dont stick out so much
In my pre( ultimate mk 2 ) i have white caps , the later pre s i believe use ,black caps, what foil they use i dont know , i think he makes his own

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Anybody have the CAT email? I am trying to communicate with Ken and the catamps@aol.com email does not respond ie emails are returned as undeliverable.

That email is correct. In fact I received an email from that address yesterday.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Any impressions on the new amorphous core amps versus the older designs ?

what i didnt know was that the JL 5 can run in full triode mode , couldnt find anything about it on the CAT website :p
from the web somewhere :
The amplifier can be run in a Push Pull Triode configuration for
100 watts per channel, or fully Pure Class A at 50 watts per channel, pure class A triode.

or on the noise level of transformer hum versus the JL 2 .

By the way still a very happy CAT owner , and i dont have the impression i m missing anything currently ;)

Last edited:

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Anybody knows the latest JL5 model designation and price? I read that the Legend has been upgraded to BPX designation (black path caps in both audio and power supply). Have they done anything similar with the amps?
Thank you

jbazz

Member Sponsor
Jun 20, 2011
Houston, TX
Anybody knows the latest JL5 model designation and price? I read that the Legend has been upgraded to BPX designation (black path caps in both audio and power supply). Have they done anything similar with the amps?
Thank you
From their AXPONA flyer:

JL5 BPE $14,995
JL5 LE (Limited Edition) $19,995

JStevens

Jan 1, 2020
Thank you
You can find this info on CAT's new website: catamps.com.

David

Aug 11, 2012
I'm not sure how to answer the question about hall ambience - I'll have to think about that.

As for the amp support - funny story: I had a pair of HRS amp stands that I used to have under my Doshi amps. I pulled them out to use under the JL7's. I got very little bass and the highs were VERY forward. I then got advice to not use any stand with any form of mechanical isolation (which seemed to describe the HRS) so I removed the stands and the amps changed dramatically - bass appeared and the edgy highs disappeared. The JL7's have interesting flexible (rubber?) legs that provide all the isolation it needs.

Hello MadFloyd,
Could you let me know how was the sound of your Doshi amps versus CAT amps ?
Your Doshi amps were models of the current catalog ?
Thanks in advance for your feedback ...

Another subject :
Any experience of someone with JL7 / JL5 amps in combination with Vivid speakers ?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Here is a review of the CAT JL5 by a dutch reviewer.
He liked my speakers but due to these being big / transport issues it never became a proper review.
I could see myself buy a second hand JL5 / black path and keep my JL2 sign but put 6550 s in them instead of the KT120 i have now

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
That is a very interesting and informative review.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing