The Adele appreciation thread

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Duffy is another favorite of mine. Although, I do not think she has either the range or quite the power in her voice that Adele enjoys. Her song writing is also somewhat second-rate to Adele's, IMO. Nonetheless, it is a shame that she seems to enjoy a lot less popularity than Adele....or for that matter Taylor Swift! ( don't get me wrong, Taylor Swift is ok...but IMHO not in anyway as great as the public seems to perceive her, and certainly not more talented ( if as much) as for instance,Duffy).

Duffy is a very genuine artist, very humble. I agree she does not have the power of Adele, but to me she is more understated by design like Dusty Springfield.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Duffy is a very genuine artist, very humble. I agree she does not have the power of Adele, but to me she is more understated by design like Dusty Springfield.
Agreed, although I'm not so sure that she is writing her own stuff like Adele. I wonder if she is doing a lot of 'covers' that are fairly esoteric pieces from the past and therefore not so recognizable.:confused:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here are my 2 fave songs (one each) from both Adele & Duffy.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Agreed, although I'm not so sure that she is writing her own stuff like Adele. I wonder if she is doing a lot of 'covers' that are fairly esoteric pieces from the past and therefore not so recognizable.:confused:

actually she did write the majority of her material..with Bernard Butler, of the band Suede.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Excellent way of describing her Andre!:D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Interesting. Perhaps it's the genre that is keeping her away from more fame. Or, the more usual issue...the quality of her manager/publicist.

No actually..her lack of exposure was self induced..she suffered from stage fright and self doubt. She apparently became a house wife and tended to cats.;)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Big Adele fan here. Great voice and a massive talent no doubt. The Royal Albert Hall Blu-ray is a superb performance. However, this new single as a song really does not measure up to her best stuff. I find the music a bit repetitive of some of her early work. Hopefully, the rest of the album is better.

+1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Adele is one of my five or so favorite vocalists. I wish the 21 album were better recorded and sounded better on LP.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's such a shame that all of the albums pressed on vinyl by Adele, Duffy and Amy Winehouse are of marginal quality.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Duffy is another favorite of mine. Although, I do not think she has either the range or quite the power in her voice that Adele enjoys. Her song writing is also somewhat second-rate to Adele's, IMO. Nonetheless, it is a shame that she seems to enjoy a lot less popularity than Adele....or for that matter Taylor Swift! ( don't get me wrong, Taylor Swift is ok...but IMHO not in anyway as great as the public seems to perceive her, and certainly not more talented ( if as much) as for instance,Duffy).

Adeles forte is her songwriting. There are many talented singers out there, but its the songs that set here apart

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Adeles forte is her songwriting. There are many talented singers out there, but its the songs that set here apart

Agree. Case in point, Candice Clover's version of "love song" on American Idol can easily go toe to toe with Adele's version vocally, but original Adele tunes are incredibly well written. She is not very generous in acknowedging co-writers though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wPWl6VCwX4

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Actually, I don't quite agree with that. IMHO, Adele's voice is a thing of beauty. Her voice has tremendous power and range and I believe this is one of the things that sets her apart from many/all of her contemporaries.

Last edited:

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Actually, I don't quite agree with that. IMHO, Adele's voice is a thing of beauty. Her voice has tremendous power and range and I believe this is one of the things that sets her apart from many/all of her contemporaries.

No doubt the lady can Sing!! But I think it comes down to what pushes your buttons;) So at the end of the day beauty is in the Ear of the beholder.....

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Adele's concert in New York City was on NBC tonight. All I can say is she knocked one out of the park...way out! Anybody else catch the concert on TV?

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Adele's concert in New York City was on NBC tonight. All I can say is she knocked one out of the park...way out! Anybody else catch the concert on TV?

I saw and and thought it was very good. Even though I think Adele is very talented I believe that there are songwriters and singers out there just as good but undiscovered. Only a few make it to the top. There is a lot of talent out there.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

When was the concert from?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing