Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Atma-Sphere introduced the Mk 3.3 versions of their products at RMAF a few weeks ago. The MP-1 preamplifier is among them and has captured attention since the upgrades are substantial. The tube complement changed (fewer 6SN7GTs and one more 12AT7 per channel), and the phono section has on the order of 6 dB more gain. On the Atma-Sphere product page it says, "The phono section of the new preamp has more gain and is significantly lower noise than any prior version. In fact it's so quiet that the only way we could achieve the same numbers before was with a Low Output Moving Coil step-up transformer. There is so much more output that the phono is usually at about the same level as many digital sources. The line section is now lower distortion and also has a new shunt-style Gain Trim system that allows for greater control of the gain of the line stage, so high output digital sources are no longer an issue."

Ralph Karsten was showing how with the phono input selected the volume could be turned up to the point the amplifier(s) would clip if the stylus were dropped, yet noise was inaudible. That's a mind boggling improvement.

I anticipate getting my upgraded demo unit back by this weekend and really look forward to it.

Here is a photo of the new MP-1 version control unit. This one (not mine) has the remote volume control option and a V-Cap option. Click on the picture below for the full size image.

8b264a65-9b1c-4b1f-8cb0-6be6782453d5.jpg

Reactions: kodomo

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks, Brian. The line stage remains 6SN7's...right?

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Yes, Sam, the tubes are the same, just different quantities.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Brian,

Can you tell me what retail on the MP-1 mk 3.3 is and what it is with any upgrades? Looks like a superb performer.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Hi Brian,

Can you tell me what retail on the MP-1 mk 3.3 is and what it is with any upgrades? Looks like a superb performer.

Joe, the MP-1 with phono section is $16,200. Popular options include V-Cap copper foil capacitors in the line stage $600 or $1900 throughout, remote volume control $950, and damping package $600.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Brian,

How can a MP1 mk3 be upgraded to 3.3 if the PCBs and tube sockets are different?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe, the MP-1 with phono section is $16,200. Popular options include V-Cap copper foil capacitors in the line stage $600 or $1900 throughout, remote volume control $950, and damping package $600.

Thank you so much Brian. I've always thought about Atma-Sphere gear.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Did they shift all the expensive components such as Cadocks and Vcaps?

Ralph can best answer questions about various component locations, if that's what you mean. V-Caps and Caddocks have been available options for quite a while, if that's what you are referring to.

Two 6SN7GTs per channel were deleted and one 12AT7 per channel added, but the locations are similar or identical.

I spoke with Adam (the guy who builds the MP-1 and does amazing work, and a helluva nice guy to boot) last week, and he said they were able to move some of the components on my unit over to the new boards.

Just got off the phone with Ralph, and my preamp is shipping today, so it'll arrive on Saturday. Yippee! :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ralph can best answer questions about various component locations, if that's what you mean. V-Caps and Caddocks have been available options for quite a while, if that's what you are referring to.

Two 6SN7GTs per channel were deleted and one 12AT7 per channel added, but the locations are similar or identical.

I spoke with Adam (the guy who builds the MP-1 and does amazing work, and a helluva nice guy to boot) last week, and he said they were able to move some of the components on my unit over to the new boards.

Just got off the phone with Ralph, and my preamp is shipping today, so it'll arrive on Saturday. Yippee! :)

Thanks Brian, I already got an affirmative answer from Ralph. My MP1 is going to flight again! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing