REVIEW: Pass Labs XS 150, XA160.8, XA160.5

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you, Peter. A friend of mine is happily using .8s in a passive bi-amped configuration to drive the cones in his Neoliths.

Is the .8 the warmest and harmonically richest solid state amplifier you have ever auditioned?

The XS150 is the warmest and harmonically richest solid state amplifier that I have ever auditioned. It is also the highest resolving in the context of the system and room in which I heard it. Perhaps the Magico M Pro's incredible transparency allowed me to hear what the upstream gear is actually capable of doing.

Edit: I have rethought this comment. It implies that the amp has a sound. Of course it does to some extent, but I don't think it can be described as warm. I think it is very neutral and is the best amp that I have heard in Madfloyd's system. The sound of that system is warm and harmonically rich, if the recording has this information on it. What this amp does not have is the typical cool/analytical sound of some SS amps. It portrays the entire note with a natural, whole and complete sound. I do think that the XS line is Pass' best effort to date as judged in Madfloyd's room and system context.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting Peter, thank you.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello Peter,

I`m wanting yours opinion about the differences in sound of XA100.5 and XA160.5. What can I expect in gain between those two models ?
I assume that you have the same monitors with the XA100.5 ?

I don't know if I can answer that in absolute terms. In my system with my Magico Mini IIs, I felt that the sound was just a bit strained with the XA100.5. With the XA160.5, the sound opened up, it became effortless and there was better control over the lower frequencies. I think it was also slightly more dynamic. In essence, the overall sound became more natural and resembled live music more. But I made that switch about four years ago, so that is what I remember.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The XS150 is the warmest and harmonically richest solid state amplifier that I have ever auditioned. It is also the highest resolving in the context of the system and room in which I heard it. Perhaps the Magico M Pro's incredible transparency allowed me to hear what the upstream gear is actually capable of doing.

I want to edit this earlier statement. It implies that the amp has a sound. Of course it does to some extent, but I don't think it can be described as warm. I think it is very neutral and is the best amp that I have heard in Madfloyd's system. The sound of that system is warm and harmonically rich, if the recording has this information on it. What this amp does not have is the typical cool/analytical sound of some SS amps. It portrays the entire note with a natural, whole and complete sound. I do think that the XS line is Pass' best effort to date as judged in Madfloyd's room and system context.

Robert < NxLT > Slowinski

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Hi Guys ,

I have ordered brand new XA 160.5 :) It will be delivered end of December. I`m so happy with and hope it will be my last AMP for many , many Years :)

I will report on it vs .8 and will drive those with XP20 like PeterA and my new Aqua la Scala MKII. Exciting time ahead.

Last edited:

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Guys ,

I have ordered brand new XA 160.5 :) It will be delivered end of December. I`m so happy with and hope it will be my last AMP for many , many Years :)

I will report on it vs .8 and will drive those with XP20 like PeterA and my new Aqua la Scala MKII. Exciting time ahead.

You are going to love the XA-160.5. I don't think you'll ever regret going this route. If you can manage to go for the XP-30 instead of the XP20, I think it would be a wise move. The XP-30 is a very organic sounding preamp which matches wonderfully with the XA.5 series. I loved my XP-30 when I had it.

Best,
Ken

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
My New XA 60.8 ar? replaced by XA 160.5
Those amps are huge compared to 60.8.
Now I' burning the properly in : 5 days straight on , 5 days 12h on and 12H completely off the nets. And the 5 days 12h on and 12h standby.
So in about 15 days I will begin some critical listening.

I hope those AMPs wil not let me down and I expect to keep them longer than point 8 amp.

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Hi All.

I'm proud new owner of brand new Pass XA 160.5
I have them now like 2 months and improve they still do. I'm playing those babies 24h during the weekends and like 10h almost everyday. And I know that they still get little better everyday.

I had a AX 60.8 and here is what I wrote till now about the XA 160.5
I hope someone will read it and it will help to make the decisions better suited to someone's needs.

My experience:

I was during those 2 days since I purchased the 160.5 hesitate to write something here. Ut I could not brake myself to do it.
First of al from the beginning it was very pleasant sound form 160.5. It sounded little like my pervious XA 60.8 , very good detail. But lifeless and with a little soft Bass. Very like Aleph X DIY amp yet more controlled because I think of the amount of power.
After like 24h the amps ware even more detailed and began have the crispy yet natural presence. Natural on the warm and very ORGANIC side of the sound. This is real sound for me! And I can't explain how, but I began to hear things in the treble that I was missing out my pervious XA 60.8 !!
After 36h they finally began to call me for attention with those extra information on the tracks. This nuances are very important for me and making in my head more realistic presentation. It is more emotional listening!
In comparison with XA 60.8 they are in Bass region not that detailed as I was already familiar with. The Bass punch me in belly, just not on my whole body like point 8. What I mean is that the bass on point 8 are more detailed. But this is for me less important to me. Maybe it will evolve during the burn-in time.
I have read on the net that during burn-in time the sound on the point 5 will be even more organic?! As for me I can't imagine that, but sure hoop for :)

What for me is very important that the bad records sounds bearable to my years with this amp.
Oh boy I'm so pleased with it so far, and I want more :)

I will update this post later on during the burn in time. For me the point 8 is very neutral amp with tight bass and the Point 5 is emotional amp and life like.

Take two:

After now 12 days of burn in those are my conclusions:

The amplifier XA 160.5 is very musical genius! It's quite emotional presentation what I was familiar to Aleph X but with far better neutrality and lighting speed and slam! They are fast compared to Aleph X with toons of meat on the bones. I mean that they reproduce very complex music with toons of information that have weight and on the same time in endless space. Just stunning for me.Believability to this music reproduction is on the top level.. This is amplifier hat combine the Aleph X series with Point 8 to me !
Now there is no comparing possible with my old XA 60.8 because there was never this kind of emotional connection between me and my point 8 Amp. I wrote about this on many more forums in desperate search for the soul in this amplifier!
What stroke me also that listening at quiet levels is more realistic then point 8 amp.
So I will now stop writing on the .8 amplifier because of this. I can't be anymore objective in 100% because of this. The point .5 is definitely my favorite series in Pass Program except the XS series that maybe will be the next big thing

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi All.

I'm proud new owner of brand new Pass XA 160.5
I have them now like 2 months and improve they still do. I'm playing those babies 24h during the weekends and like 10h almost everyday. And I know that they still get little better everyday.

I had a AX 60.8 and here is what I wrote till now about the XA 160.5
I hope someone will read it and it will help to make the decisions better suited to someone's needs.

My experience:

I was during those 2 days since I purchased the 160.5 hesitate to write something here. Ut I could not brake myself to do it.
First of al from the beginning it was very pleasant sound form 160.5. It sounded little like my pervious XA 60.8 , very good detail. But lifeless and with a little soft Bass. Very like Aleph X DIY amp yet more controlled because I think of the amount of power.
After like 24h the amps ware even more detailed and began have the crispy yet natural presence. Natural on the warm and very ORGANIC side of the sound. This is real sound for me! And I can't explain how, but I began to hear things in the treble that I was missing out my pervious XA 60.8 !!
After 36h they finally began to call me for attention with those extra information on the tracks. This nuances are very important for me and making in my head more realistic presentation. It is more emotional listening!
In comparison with XA 60.8 they are in Bass region not that detailed as I was already familiar with. The Bass punch me in belly, just not on my whole body like point 8. What I mean is that the bass on point 8 are more detailed. But this is for me less important to me. Maybe it will evolve during the burn-in time.
I have read on the net that during burn-in time the sound on the point 5 will be even more organic?! As for me I can't imagine that, but sure hoop for :)

What for me is very important that the bad records sounds bearable to my years with this amp.
Oh boy I'm so pleased with it so far, and I want more :)

I will update this post later on during the burn in time. For me the point 8 is very neutral amp with tight bass and the Point 5 is emotional amp and life like.

Take two:

After now 12 days of burn in those are my conclusions:

The amplifier XA 160.5 is very musical genius! It's quite emotional presentation what I was familiar to Aleph X but with far better neutrality and lighting speed and slam! They are fast compared to Aleph X with toons of meat on the bones. I mean that they reproduce very complex music with toons of information that have weight and on the same time in endless space. Just stunning for me.Believability to this music reproduction is on the top level.. This is amplifier hat combine the Aleph X series with Point 8 to me !
Now there is no comparing possible with my old XA 60.8 because there was never this kind of emotional connection between me and my point 8 Amp. I wrote about this on many more forums in desperate search for the soul in this amplifier!
What stroke me also that listening at quiet levels is more realistic then point 8 amp.
So I will now stop writing on the .8 amplifier because of this. I can't be anymore objective in 100% because of this. The point .5 is definitely my favorite series in Pass Program except the XS series that maybe will be the next big thing

Wonderful news! Now, all you need to add is the XP-30 preamp and you will never change your preamp/amp combo again.:cool: The XP-30 compliments the sound of the XA-160.5 like no other.

Best,
Ken

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
Wonderful news! Now, all you need to add is the XP-30 preamp and you will never change your preamp/amp combo again.:cool: The XP-30 compliments the sound of the XA-160.5 like no other.

Best,
Ken

Ken have you or anybody tried the Audio Research Reference 6 with Pass Labs power Amplifer? XP30 is about the same price as the Reference 6. Maybe if I prefer tube/ organic sound I can better go for ARC?!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Though people use it, I don't like the ide aof using AR with a SS amp as AR has a high output impedance. Try the VTL 7.5 which has a low output impedance and a high current, such preamps are better for SS amps. Marty actually uses the VTL to drive the Spectral DMA 400s

Ken have you or anybody tried the Audio Research Reference 6 with Pass Labs power Amplifer? XP30 is about the same price as the Reference 6. Maybe if I prefer tube/ organic sound I can better go for ARC?!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I actually currently use a Ref10 with Pass Xs300s and get excellent results. The Ref10 replaced an Xs pre amp because I preferred the Ref10.

In the past, I've also used a Ref 5 and Ref Anniversary with Pass XA 160.5s and again received very good results.

I wouldn't hesitate to use ARC with Pass.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Though people use it, I don't like the ide aof using AR with a SS amp as AR has a high output impedance. Try the VTL 7.5 which has a low output impedance and a high current, such preamps are better for SS amps. Marty actually uses the VTL to drive the Spectral DMA 400s

I heard ARC Ref 5 with pass 100.5 once and it sounded overly warm and soupy. The Xa.8 and Xs have 200K input impedance the .5 only has 20K. Even though that is well withing the ARC guidelines i would Try before I buy!

This is from the Arc website to the Ref10 : If your solid state Amp fits that bill you can give it a go:

OUTPUT IMPEDANCE
600 ohms Balanced, 300 ohms SE main (2), 20K ohms minimum load and 2000pF maximum capacitance. Outputs (3): 2 main, 1 tape (XLR and RCA connectors).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That output impedance is only at a certain frequency (I think 1khz and goes up quite bit, around 3k.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
That output impedance is only at a certain frequency (I think 1khz and goes up quite bit, around 3k.

Dont doubt that! the ARC Poweramps are all 300K Ohm input. But I dont see why running 200K ohm SS Amp should be a problem in general

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dont doubt that! the ARC Poweramps are all 300K Ohm input. But I dont see why running 200K ohm SS Amp should be a problem in general

I thought it was 20, not 200. With 200 should be fine. That's quite a difference in the pass models

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I thought it was 20, not 200. With 200 should be fine. That's quite a difference in the pass models

Yes it seems the new.8 and XS are all higher input Imp. Compared to the .5

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
The soupy effect cause the XA 100.5. Yet the 160.5 is slightly different sound signature. So maybe the combination of Ref 6 and 160.5 could be perfect match.
I have read somewhere that the 20k input impedance is Ok with Ref 6.
Is the 30k input impedance on the Internet specs is for the unbalanced input?

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
The soupy effect cause the XA 100.5. Yet the 160.5 is slightly different sound signature. So maybe the combination of Ref 6 and 160.5 could be perfect match.
I have read somewhere that the 20k input impedance is Ok with Ref 6.
Is the 30k input impedance on the Internet specs is for the unbalanced input?

Looking at it again the 30K is probably for the Balanced and 20k for the RCA, as the balanced is usually higher than the Unbalanced input...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing