Transparency vs "Symphonic coloration" in modern DAC gear.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Not quite, the Invicta goes into my preamp and from there to the behringer.

Did you try direct from the Invicta into the amp with passive speakers vs through the preamp and Behringer set in bypass mode?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
that's the confusing thing, it sounds much better than my previous DAC.
Also, I would challenge anyone to pick that there is an AD-DA conversion in my vinyl chain

I've used my Mirus through Hypex DSP boards that have ADC/DAC. I as well could tell the difference between the Exasound in the system vs the Mirus. But comparing with the DSP in the chain and out with the DSP in unity mode, massive difference. No where in the ball park. This is when I decided chip based DSP just isn't gonna work for me. The way to go is PC based DSP straight into a high quality multi channel DAC.

I highly recommend reading my active speaker thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18648-The-best-way-possible-to-build-an-active-system

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Guys - I don't dispute that you can pass your analogue through adda and not be able to tell under blind conditions. Where I am lost is the critical next stage - i.e generating a bunch of measurements that will emulate the sound of the recorded piece of equipment that can be applied to ANY music in your digital catalogue.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Guys - I don't dispute that you can pass your analogue through adda and not be able to tell under blind conditions. Where I am lost is the critical next stage - i.e generating a bunch of measurements that will emulate the sound of the recorded piece of equipment that can be applied to ANY music in your digital catalogue.

Yeah if it actually works it will be quite an distruptive technology.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Yeah if it actually works it will be quite an distruptive technology.

I don't know... Even if it works as-planned acceptance can be very slow.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I don't know... Even if it works as-planned acceptance can be very slow.

Yeah I suppose it would something people would have to try. 1000 systems for the price of 1. Not sure why anyone wouldn't like it if it works as intended.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yeah I suppose it would something people would have to try. 1000 systems for the price of 1. Not sure why anyone wouldn't like it if it works as intended.

Quick question - who provides the emulations or does the owner have to do that themselves? If the former, is there no legal issue with selling an emulation that you title the name of the component? If the latter, you'll have to hope that you know people with some excellent gear and time for you to rig up mics and measure their gear.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Quick question - who provides the emulations or does the owner have to do that themselves? If the former, is there no legal issue with selling an emulation that you title the name of the component? If the latter, you'll have to hope that you know people with some excellent gear and time for you to rig up mics and measure their gear.

It might come with a bundle of different profiles. But they won't have brand names attached to them. The user will have to find their own gear to take the measurement from. However nothing is stopping users from sharing profiles.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Doesn't the Smyth Realiser already do this (or am I missing the point here?)

That looks like some sort of virtual surround emulator. Totally different purpose.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
its a speaker emulator, it reproduces the ear transfer function of various high end speakers

You are oversimplifying it. It emulates a speaker/room setup by obtaining a mike calibration of that setup in the room, plus a mike calibration of the user's head transfer function. Both those calibrations are done with mikes positioned at the user's ears, so each calibration is very personal for one user at a time. It is 8 channels and it uses DSP. It has other features, but, yes, that might be irrelevant here.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
its a speaker emulator, it reproduces the ear transfer function of various high end speakers

When it comes to emulateing the exact sound of a complete system including speakers, this gets far more difficult for many reasons. For one, finding microphones that can hear exactly the same as human ears will be very difficult. It's impossible to emulate the exact on and off axis dispersion of speakers using different driver/cabinet designs. The acoustics of the room when the measurements are taken, can be far different than the room the other systems are in. Then the tonal signature of different drivers/cone/ribbon materials are impossible to exactly emulate. Speakers are mechanical, not just electrical. There's just way way too many variables at play.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
So i'm a bit confused (or quite possibly just a bit slow :) )... what are you trying to emulate?

I'm talking about software/hardware that can emulate the sonic signature/colorations of different electronics. It would mainly be used to emulate DAC's. However the measurement can be taken at the preamp outs, a well as amp outs if you desire to emulate the distortions/colorations of all the electronics in a particular system.

If you read this thread from the beginning, you'll see that I have explained it quite thoroughly.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing