Metro DC
Because of what we put in it?

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
They're gonna have to pry that standing rib roast from my cold dead hands!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Haven't eaten red meat in over 40 years, haven't missed it.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
And the difference in risk is high: people who eat red and processed meat have a 17 per cent higher chance of developing bowel cancer, but that's a comparison between groups of people who get bowel cancer, which is a very rare event.

How rare? According to the Cancer Research UK, "the WCRF's analysis suggests that, among 1000 people who eat the most processed meat, you'd expect 66 to develop bowel cancer at some point in their lives – 10 more than the group who eat the least processed meat." So assuming that Australian rates are similar, cutting your meat intake takes your lifetime risk of bowel cancer from 6.6 per cent to 5.6 per cent. Not high, in other words.

In other words: yes, you could probably stand to cut down on the amount of red meat you consume, but it's unlikely to make a major difference to your actual risk of getting cancer. Still, data is data and it's better to know this stuff than not.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/view-from-the-street/view-from-the-street-bacon-probably-not-going-to-kill-us-all-20151027-gkjxdz.html

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, Andrew...this is all i needed to read to suss out AGENDA at work:

The report itself is the work of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), who did a meta-analysis of over eight thousand research projects, and the upshot is that red and processed meat seems to carry the same cancer risk as tobacco.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Well I'm vegetarian, so doesn't really effect me that much, and I don't tend to to get too excited about these types of stories in any event. But I like too put it all in perspective. Upshot is - it ain't that big of a deal.

Thanks for posting. I value your replies - always thoughtful and helpful. Cheers

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I would agree with the previous comment about what is in the meat (or chicken or "farm raised" fish). Chemicals and un-natural crap that these animals/fish are fed to grow them faster and bigger and reduce their chances of getting "sick". And then we ingest it.

And by the way, for all of the other stuff (fruits and vegetables) that we consume that is not organic, we ingest even more crap (insecticides, GMO, you name it).

The "food" we consume is not so much the issue. It is how it is grown, fed, fertilized, and treated.

This sermon is now concluded !!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing