Thread: Get High, Hear Less?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar

Get High, Hear Less?

This research on endocannabinoid receptors in the cochlea demonstrate, at least with rats, that getting high makes tinnitus worse.

Full disclosure: I'm a liberatarian and I don't buy into marijuana criminalization. However, I don't use drugs or alcohol.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/artic...015.00060/full
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Banned
    I don't do drugs either but have tinnitus that comes and goes. It was fascinating to read this in that paper: "Although the mechanisms underlying tinnitus are still not fully understood, the most likely cause of tinnitus is changes in neural activity in the brain, which is supported by both animal and human studies. In animals and humans with tinnitus, neurons in multiple areas of the brain become more active and more neurons fire at the same time in order to compensate for the hearing loss due to damage to the cochlear hair cells."

I had thought that the ear was actually producing these tones through resonances and such. Didn't realize it was the brain manufacturing the impression of the same.

The study also shows that there should be additional research done. I think the researchers could study the long term effect of cannabinoids on hearing loss and also try to administer the doses in a more isolated manner. It could be that the rats were so high that they develop an anti-fear response to the stimulus. They address that issue in the paper but I'm not convinced they could control for that variable.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

I'm not into weed, but I find when I drink alcohol, the volume always seems to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    No alcohol ,ever!
    Keith.
    Not in five years. I've lost 80 pounds. It's really nutritional. I eat really well and I workout/train 4 times a week early in the morning. My wife says I'm not the man she married. :-)
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    Did enough weed in my teens and twenties to last a lifetime. LOL! Haven't touched it in over 25 years. Now it's just beer and the odd glass of wine. I don't like spirits.
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    ..I had tinnitus temporarily after general anesthesia. I also lost my voice and never regained it...a condition called spasmodic dysphonia...17 yrs ago now. Luckily the tinnitus went away after several months and my hearing is quite good now...for an old fart..

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I'm not into weed, but I find when I drink alcohol, the volume always seems to increase.
    When I drink alchohol, my volume also increases.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] es347's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    When I drink alchohol, my volume also increases.
    ..loudmouth soup

I have had mild tinnitus for decades. But, honestly, I do not ever recall being aware of it when listening to music live or reproduced, watching a movie, etc. Usually, it is only in quiet surroundings. Maybe I am lucky.

I will stay away from the pot, thanks. Been there, done that without feeling the better for it. Booze, now that is different matter, drunk judiciously, of course, like the cocktail hour Bombay Sapphire Martini in my hand right now with afternoon cigar. For some reason, though, my music listening is best with my full, sober attention. I like to let the music intoxicate me rather than other substances. A little too much booze makes me drift off to sleep, though it is a pleasant sleep to classical music. But, I wake from that feeling I have missed something.