Hello

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Hello,

I am new on this forum, I was not aware it existed even though I have been a long time member of Audiokarma, Vinyl Engine, DIY, Pinkfish, etc.

I have a high speed Revox A77, it is in impeccable condition with new caps and have been wondering what options, other than copying LPs I own, I have to make more use of my tape deck.

Best regards,

Orazio

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome to the forum Orazio. As fellow tape deck owner, I can tell you there are a good number of us here.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Welcome. Check the tape forum, lots of discussions on commercial tapes available today. I actually use mine to record live performances of the BSO broadcast on FM.

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Welcome. Check the tape forum, lots of discussions on commercial tapes available today. I actually use mine to record live performances of the BSO broadcast on FM.

Find some local bands, get a pair of mics with a boom stand, and record live! Burn CDs for the band, and keep the master. I wish I'd kept a bunch of recordings I did with the high school jazz band. Some of those musicians were VERY talented, and I went to school With Renee Rosnes back in 1976...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome Orazio!

As someone who is beginning to explore tape playback I will look forward to your posts.

F456GTM

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2015
Pinecrest, FL
Chaps.

Thanks for the great tips. Last July the three South Florida radio stations [WKCP 89.7] were sold and stopped broadcasting classical music. As a consolation price I know listen to WQRX 105.9 from NY through an ipad and a 360° ipad wireless speaker.
But recording from a digital source to tape does not appeal to me. Curt Palme's suggestion makes sense to me but I would have to learn how to do a decent job. I wish Peter McGrath, a recording engineer, founder of Sound Components and now a writer for the Absolute Sound, were still living in Miami. He was a Levinson premier dealer and a good friend of Mark, he used a modified Studer A80 on 1 inch tape [¼-inch tracks] at 30 IPS. I used to hang out with some friends at his shop almost every Saturday in the mid seventies.

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
Chaps.

But recording from a digital source to tape does not appeal to me. Curt Palme's suggestion makes sense to me but I would have to learn how to do a decent job. I

A minimalistic approach. Two decent mics, that form a single point source, center of the band/group, aimed at 90 degrees. Google that, they've been using that technique forever. :)

Of course, you need a room with decent acoustics, but generally for non-enhanced recordings, that's a good way to do it.

Disclaimer: I'm a tech, not a recording engineer.

Bodyslam

Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco, CA
Curt Palme's suggestion makes sense to me but I would have to learn how to do a decent job.

Nothing like trying it--and listening to your results--to start figuring out how to do it.

I wish Peter McGrath, a recording engineer, founder of Sound Components and now a writer for the Absolute Sound, were still living in Miami.

I know he is thinking about moving, but as of the last time I spoke with him (the Newport show) he was still living in Miami. If you could go out with him on a few recordings that would certainly jump-start the learning process.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing