• No

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Maybe; I need to see it first.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have not yet seen the Vizio R but each of its individual LEDs are separately controllable which makes it different than your typical FALD display. Remember, the OLEDs are emissive displays and have had significant uniformity problems due to both manufacturing, QC and programming issues. Check out Home Theater Geeks episode 262 where we discuss those issues. I would love to get an OLED but will not accept the issues I have seen to date. Hopefully in the second half of 2016. CES should pove interesting in that regard.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The LEDs are programmable but with some 350 or so regions, it cannot by definition modulate each pixel. It will light up those regions even if there is a single pixel lit there. It is for sure superior to the rest of the bunch without full array local dimming but it is not in the same class as OLED with individually driven pixels.

But yes, CES will show wider choice of products. Let's hope they don't show a bunch of prototypes with no ship dates as they all did two years ago. I hate going there and hearing no price and no availability, or "Q3 shipping date."

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I would be shocked if the next generation of OLEDs didn't come with the dreaded Q3 2016 shipping date. I would hope Panasonic has some good OLED news at CES, namely flat and US availability. Oh, and better pricing too.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
I have not seen HDR yet, but I am quite sure it is in my future along with a "4K" UHD set, BD player, etc. However, my own years in the computer technology business taught me not to be too early an adopter. My understanding of technology business and pricing models makes me doubly wary at this juncture. I will let others have that privilege and the "fun" - the bragging rights, but also the high early prices and rapid obsolescence that inevitably ensue. For me, what bears close watching is the degree of UHD BD releases that fully utilize the technology, as well as the enhanced UHD color space, etc. Without a "critical mass" of source material, I do not see much point.

We are still in a period of rapid early development, hence obsolescence. UHD, HDR and related technologies are inevitable, to be sure. Everything I hear indicates this new stuff will be significantly better. But, trying to buy future technologies too early can be an expensive and frustrating proposition. So, I am probably at least a year away, likely more than that. I feel the same about OLED, by the way. It remains to be seen if Quantum Dot technology, perhaps, might be a better long run choice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing