View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to HDR?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 38.46%
  • No

5 38.46%
  • Maybe; I need to see it first.

3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDR: Will you upgrade?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar

HDR: Will you upgrade?

I've seen 4K and have never really been impressed. But HDR is different. The demos I saw at CEDIA made me a believer. HDR is a big improvement, IMO. It's almost like seeing an HDTV for the first time. You really don't need to see a side-by-side to know that it's a huge upgrade. Will anyone be upgrading their gear for HDR or any of the other new video improvements?
    MUSIC IS GOOD

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Need to see it first
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Waiting to see the next generation of OLEDs, and also wait out the "format war" between DolbyVision and the other implementations.

Lee
    Lee Aldridge

I post my own opinions except when posting as a moderator in green.

Addicted to Best!
    How do we even know if we can play this resolution? I have an Oppo BD 95 and will likely be ordering a JVC DLA-x700

Name:  dla-x700_awards_new.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  18.5 KB
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
    For those who may not know what HDR is and that there is a difference between HDR for TV and HDR for Photography, this may help.

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr...ould-you-care/
    I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
    John Adrian Spijkers - "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
    Dynavector DV20x2L - Genesis G7.1f - Marantz Reference PM KI Pearl - Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi - Oracle Paris Mk.V

Current OPPO players are not UHD compatible. As I'm not sure how HDR will be encoded on discs, I can't speak to the ability to play HDR content.

Lee
    Lee Aldridge

Banned
    Just a note that HDR is not dependent on video resolution. Any video from DVD to Blu-ray can be encoded to be HDR (in backward compatible way using technology such as Dolby's) and by using an appropriate display and connection to it, experience a much higher dynamic range.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    Just a note that HDR is not dependent on video resolution. Any video from DVD to Blu-ray can be encoded to be HDR (in backward compatible way using technology such as Dolby's) and by using an appropriate display and connection to it, experience a much higher dynamic range.
    Does HDR require any proprietary decoding in the player or does that all happen inside the projector/screen?
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    so does that mean if we buy an HDR blu-ray or dvd, that we can play on an existing oppo? or are we saying, as per RBFC, that we can NOT use existing Oppo players to work with HDR? i suspect the latter based on the article that suggested HDR players will be coming out end of this year.
    Speaker Wilson X-1/SLAMMS / Velodyne DD18+
    Source Zanden 4Box Digital
    Amp CJ GAT 2 / Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable SC/IC / PC TA Opus Gen5/MM2 / PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass
    Power/Ground/Shield 7 x 16A Furutech / Burmester948+NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard
    Headphone Sennheiser HD650 / Arcam rHead/ApogeeGroove

Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    so does that mean if we buy an HDR blu-ray or dvd, that we can play on an existing oppo? or are we saying, as per RBFC, that we can NOT use existing Oppo players to work with HDR? i suspect the latter based on the article that suggested HDR players will be coming out end of this year.
    I stated that current OPPO players are not compatible with UHD (4K) playback. I don't know enough about how HDR will be delivered as to whether it will work with "legacy" devices. In the case of DolbyVision, which is supposedly backward-compatible, your current player will work if this is true.

Lee
    Lee Aldridge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast