Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a high-end PC for 4K video and photography

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    I guess I never posted performance metrics, so here they are, after settling on driver version 355.82 (a couple newer ones offered worse performance):

Cinebench: At 4K resolution, the score is 1311, which is 104% of the 1279 score achieved by a 12-core 2.66GHz Xeon X5650
    Those are the processors in my old HP Z600, I have very limited upgrade ability with such and old computer. I am booting off one of these https://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Velo...=1&*entries*=0 with dual SSDs on it but it will never match the newer hardware, I only have PCIe 2.0 slots and the video slot is only good for up to 150 watt power draw without running a second power supply. The way HP made this computer makes it very easy to work on but hard to upgrade. The way computers lose value I would hate to spend a lot on a replacement, mine was about $7000 when new.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDB View Post
    Those are the processors in my old HP Z600, I have very limited upgrade ability with such and old computer. I am booting off one of these https://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Velo...=1&*entries*=0 with dual SSDs on it but it will never match the newer hardware, I only have PCIe 2.0 slots and the video slot is only good for up to 150 watt power draw without running a second power supply. The way HP made this computer makes it very easy to work on but hard to upgrade. The way computers lose value I would hate to spend a lot on a replacement, mine was about $7000 when new.
    The Cinebench performance of the Xeons I quoted is likely to be only HD, not 4K, but I am not sure. Total cost for this PC is still <$5K, including the 950 Pro M.2 PCIe 3.0 drive. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with SAS drives and motherboard, and everything else the same. It is characteristic how much my productivity has increased; for example, I was able to down-scale and transfer about 9000 5K-resolution pictures to my iPhone 5 in about 20 minutes; I assume a newer iPhone would offer higher transfer speeds; and I am able to transcode a 2hr Bluray movie (about 23.5GB) in half an hour, before burning it.
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

It looks like the new AMD Ryzen 7 1800X is a great bargain for a $500 CPU, it outperforms my 12 core HP Z600 at stock speeds, I saw the AMD chip hit 1600 on the Cinebench R15 CPU score. With the most recent version of Cinebench R15 my Z600 is only a little over 1300. Intel processors that are faster than the Ryzen 7 1800X cost a whole lot more.

VIP/Donor [WBF Founding Member] ack's Avatar
    Cool. Just installed a Samsung 960 Pro M.2 drive last night, replacing the 950 Pro - and it's quite a bit faster, anywhere from 30% to 200%. I/O performance is where I've been focusing lately. Also, really impressed with the Samsung Data Migration application, which clones a C: drive very quickly, while the system is running, and the clone is of course bootable. I have now sold the 950, keeping the original 850 for back-up - I simply clone the 960 now onto the 850 (NVMe --> SATA III), in 10 minutes flat (~272GB worth).

We are about to experience I/O performance explosion in the coming years, once PCIexpress 4.0 is released in 2017, which among other things, will also offer 300W of power from the socket directly - that means no more additional power connectors to high-end graphics cards, until they have to go beyond that limit.
    Sources: mod. VPI Aries 3;mod. JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90;mod. Pass XP-25;Spectral 3000SL xport/mod. Alpha DAC;mod. Magnum Dynalab Etude;mod. Revox B-77II Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-400RS Speakers: Heavily mod. MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods);mod. REL Cabling: MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strip, Magnum Z-Trap; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon Tweaks: EAR Isodamp c1002 References: Live unamplified music
    System link WBF

As someone who started using computer in the late 70's, I am amazed at just how far technology has advanced.

ack, do you watch ripped 4K movies on your machine?
    George

System Gallery

Pass Labs | Bel Canto | Martin Logan | Tara Labs | BPT | Shunyata Research | UpTone Audio

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > Bel Canto e.One DAC3.7vb > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Summit X Speakers