Help me w/reservations about taking the R2R tape plunge...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I guess this makes a more interesting diversion than the usual coffee discussions that arise when threads run out of steam.
I've got a bit lucky re a tech contact to make my journey into the world of tape more straightfwd.
Have been a bit anxious that if I'm on my own, and things go tits up :p, I'm left w/my pants around my ankle :confused:.
(Maybe I ought to stop here w/such imaginative images :eek:).
But I have a guy. And I've known him for years. My crt pj tech.
He's just an amazing guy who has worked in lots of challenging audio/visual engineering situations, from the heyday of commercial crt installs in shops and clubs, often installing dozens of crt pj's a year, and setting up sound systems in clubs, bars and venues, a dab hand at the analog and digital side of things.
So just now, I talk about tape w/him, and the first thing he says is, am I getting into it because of The Tape Project?
Whoa! I've found my guy, I just didn't know it.
He's a massive fan of tape even though he doesn't run it, and has boosted my confidence levels sort of confirming tape playback can be set and forget up to a point.
He's my go-to man if I make the dive into this alien sea.
Another barrier to ownership down.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Guys, my last post of the evening. I think my brainstorming of the last few evenings, w/the help of so many of you, is helping settle my thoughts/decisions.
There is enough of a consensus that the RS1500/Nortronics/King Cello is an excellent way to go. I've just checked out our old friend Myles B. Astor and he runs the same type of rig, and he is no slouch when it comes to getting good sounds.
Christian's thumbs up v.helpful.
Most critical was Ed Pong in very much endorsing my choice.

So, the deck is chosen, and if I go ahead, Jan next year is when the chequebook comes out, and I hit a deck and a handful of tapes.

My last area of concern before saying yea or nay, is day to day matters. Just what am I to expect in using the system as a new owner? There is so much about tape I have no idea about.

Can you guys talk about the major operational issues that would be relevant in informing me about, esp again those that makes tape ownership a difficult concern.

Hi Marc,

I am glad you now only consider going the route of that deck which apparently, according to the consensus feedback here among those who know, should give you excellent sound, but is more reasonable in terms of expense. Your GF will be happy too!

Al

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing