Jbl 4367

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes. I bet my system is the best sounding system in the world using H dolly speaker stands; Quite an accomplishment indeed.

I know folks in Japan like to swap out parts on the JBL crossovers. I'm not a big believer in all that. I'm a system guy all the way. The parts bin never impressed me since nobody, ever, seems to be able to demonstrate how these supposedly better caps make the sound coming out of the speaker any different, much less better.

I'm sure it is the best on H dolly's.

And that's not entirely true Michael.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've actually thought about this from a different perspective. I thought about bypassing the passive network and using Acourate's NT crossover instead. But there's more to it than that. One first needs to linearize each driver because that's part of what a crossover does. But speaker measurements are very different from measuring parts out of the bin. The crossover network were designed to work within a complex speaker system which was partly designed using a computer but also using million dollar anechoic chamber and verified with blind listening tests. The home user can't get a full impulse from this speaker. It's not possible. Maybe one could get close, but not close enough to surpass the design efforts in place. That's where it's not possible to demonstrate better measurements using different caps.

I'm sure it is the best on H dolly's.

And that's not entirely true Michael.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
They look great in your room...I hope they fulfill all your audiophile desires and tick all the boxes.
I too never have to listen to speakers in a room for too long to get a feel for whether they rock me or not
I would love to hear a pair..unlikely in south africa..

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
They look great in your room...I hope they fulfill all your audiophile desires and tick all the boxes.
I too never have to listen to speakers in a room for too long to get a feel for whether they rock me or not
I would love to hear a pair..unlikely in south africa..

Thanks Rodney! If you ever visit your family in Texas, you are welcome over at my place anytime.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
IMO, the biggest step forward for this loudspeaker was the compression driver design. That's Dr. Alex Voishvillo's patented design. It's the same design used in the JBL M2's compression driver. http://www.mixonline.com/news/news-...oped-m2-and-re-ignited-its-studio-line/383733

Voishvillo received an award from the AES for his work on transducer design and has done important research on distortion in transducers.
http://www.jblpro.com/press/nov08/JBL_Voishvillo.html
http://www.aes.org/e-lib/online/browse.cfm?elib=13744

Even other audio measurement geeks from AP, for example, tip the cap for Voishvillo's transducer designs.
See around minute 21:00.
http://youtu.be/2V6YN-mshmY

Who designed them Michael? ...The 4367. ...Main technical engine...ear. ...Audio scientist.

* Amir would know...main chief designer.

? http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/jbl-4367-preview

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You would have to have someone that is a regular speaker designing guy look at the crossover. There's so many parts on it I can tell you it's not just a simple 2nd order crossover. That means going active would require a lot of programming, most likely. It'd be easy to screw it up without having a someone who really knows what they're doing taking a look at it. On the other hand anyone that can solder can replace parts. But all in all you've still got a wonderful speaker! Nothing has to be done.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
No delivery into the UK until March.
Keith.

I don't know anything about overseas but Haramn's estimated delivery dates aren't always accurate. I originally ordered these in November and they quoted a two month wait time. So I cancelled. I then ordered again in mid January. They quoted a one month wait time. A couple weeks later, FedEx freight was calling me to schedule a home delivery. It was a nice surprise. I wish I had just waited from the beginning. :D

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
DJ do you mind saying a bit more how they compared/differed from the Giya? I recall those had really nice off axis polars as well.

One more question do the JBL Everest series have similarly good objective performance as M2/4367?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
No the Everest is from traditional JBL school of design.

I've heard some opinions preferring the Everest over the M2 though...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've heard some opinions preferring the Everest over the M2 though...
The M2 "suffers" from inclusion of DSP which is a turnoff to many traditional buyers. The 4367 is an answer to that by the way being a passive design and not requiring DSP. I have head both and my choice would be M2.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The M2 "suffers" from inclusion of DSP which is a turnoff to many traditional buyers. The 4367 is an answer to that by the way being a passive design and not requiring DSP. I have head both and my choice would be M2.

Thanks, hopefully someday I'll have the opportunity to compare...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
can't imagine Class D amps for this speaker - are you going to try other topologies?

Class D is THE perfect topology for a high efficiency speaker. I can set max volume and put my ear up to the horn throat. When I do that I hear infinite nothingness. Why don't you agree?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"Infinite nothingness" Can I borrow that one Mike?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing