Jbl 4367

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just a thought: A pair of speakers that keep improving their sound reproduction over the years, month after month year after year through their lifetime from generations to generations...a thousand years. ...Or make that hundred. The speaker designer who can create such a feat would probably be one of the poorest men on earth but filthy rich soul wise. ...His name synonym with immortality.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Okay. That's fair. I think this boils down to how one evaluates new gear. And there are two schools of thought. Some folks believe one needs a lot of time listening before a judgment can be made. I am of the other school of thought. We hold that the most valuable impression is the first impression. That's the time when listening memory differences most starkly contrast with the new music coming from the new gear. I go with my gut and what it tells me in the beginning. However, the first school of thought has value too. Speakers don't really change much over time but how we use them can change and therefore our preferences can change. Change happens.

Shakespeare said, "I never knew love that was not at first sight." But a relationship goes bad over time.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just a thought: A pair of speakers that keep improving their sound reproduction over the years, month after month year after year through their lifetime from generations to generations...a thousand years. ...Or make that hundred. The speaker designer who can create such a feat would probably be one of the poorest men on earth but filthy rich soul wise. ...His name synonym with immortality.

Stradivarious

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thank you Bob. Merci :D

Oh I missed that one earlier...Bienvenu Joe.

I miss few good people: Mike of course, Nelson, Barry, Allen, Paul, Doug, Bob, Dan, ...and others.

? Nelson & Barry. ...Mike, his generosity. ...You Joe, your good sense of humor.

Good people you get along with and with reciprocity; it's part of good audio journey too. It's a very good bunch @ audioshark.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Dallasjustice
So what did you do to form this first impression? How long did it take? How many recordings did you listen to? Did your favorite recordings change? Did you enjoy recordings you previously did not? Do you no longer enjoy recordings you once did? I assume you have a sizable collection of recordings.
Did you play one after another until your wife called you to bed. In short did you encounter the things that make this hobby great?
Or did you merely satisfy some philosophical technical b.s. In short did it make your music good? If not it is just a boat anchor that will wind up on ebay

Don't answer

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
I like compression drivers I enjoy properly implemented front loaded horns, ( single driver folded with whizzer cones are not horns)
their compromise is purely size, to create deep bass the horn has to be huge, so even Cessaros five way horns with two bass horns each the size of a grand piano 'only' extend to around 35Hz.
I understand JBL choosing a bass reflex design but I an not a huge fan of resonating air, how do you find the bass Michael, what are the Giyas reflextoo and the YGs ,sealed box?
Keith.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I just got them setup today. I think will move them around a little later. For now there three things which stand out:

1. They play loud. But if I didn't have an SPL meter next to me which I've used with other speakers, I would not really know how loud. They play loud without any edge or harshness. It's just pure and clean big dynamics. Just like a live full symphony would sound in the first 15 rows or so. The dynamix make live music sound very realistic. The wide dynamics also translates outstanding low level details. I think 94db sensitivity is being too conservative. I'm not sure how Harman reports that spec, but my guess would be closer to 100db sensitivity. Let's just say I don't mess with the volume much and find myself listening at 95db+ at MLP. I don't drink anymore but it reminds me of when I discovered vodka. I got drunk for sure but I really didn't know how drunk until much later on or even the next day. It just creeps up and up and up on me.
2. Midrange clarity, coherence and articulation is very Quad-like. I know to some that's like a backhanded compliment. But to me it's the highest praise. I think the special compression driver is a real hit. There's no crossover from 800hz to 40khz. Midrange magic is there in spades.
3. The highs are very extended. High frequency and especially piano and horns sound very natural. I'll prolly play with toe in and placement a little. Right now they point directly at the ears. They have a great sound stage even in the off center seats. The off axis is very good.

Michael.

Here is how it sounds. I hope that holds up over time.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I like compression drivers I enjoy properly implemented front loaded horns, ( single driver folded with whizzer cones are not horns)
their compromise is purely size, to create deep bass the horn has to be huge, so even Cessaros five way horns with two bass horns each the size of a grand piano 'only' extend to around 35Hz.
I understand JBL choosing a bass reflex design but I an not a huge fan of resonating air, how do you find the bass Michael, what are the Giyas reflextoo and the YGs ,sealed box?
Keith.

Not Michael

but Michael will likely cross it around 80 Hz well above where the port is of any use... I am intrigued enough. I will add that Audiophile prejudices (that includes those of your humble servitor) keep many from great components. In the US JBL speakers are not seen as "serious" audiophile speakers whereas in Japan..

Last edited:

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Not Michael

but Michael will likely cross it around 80 Hz well above where the port is of any use... I am intrigued enough. I will add that Audiophile prejudices (that includes those of your humble servitor) keep many from great components. In the US JBL speakers are not seen as "serious" audiophile speakers whereas in Japan..
But that is only because of marketing, JBL have a wonderful heritage and their modern compression and dynamic drivers are of the very highest specification.
I find marketing usually trumps absolute quality.
Keith.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Keith.
Frantz is correct. I cross them over at 80hz to subs. So the port group delay never comes into the equation. I will say that the bass sounds very clean and fast.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Dallasjustice
So what did you do to form this first impression? How long did it take? How many recordings did you listen to? Did your favorite recordings change? Did you enjoy recordings you previously did not? Do you no longer enjoy recordings you once did? I assume you have a sizable collection of recordings.
Did you play one after another until your wife called you to bed. In short did you encounter the things that make this hobby great?
Or did you merely satisfy some philosophical technical b.s. In short did it make your music good? If not it is just a boat anchor that will wind up on ebay

Don't answer

Why shouldn't I answer? Because you are incapable of asking a "clean question"? If you just want to argue, I'm sure you have legal matters you could be working on. If you want to genuinely share real experiences and learning, you are welcome to join in.

Michael.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
That's right. I am happily no longer a "serious" audiophile. I never could live up to that standard. :rolleyes:
I hadn't realised you had crossed them to the subs, that takes out the port, I also believe that it is those initial sessions that you really hear a new component ,one quickly becomes acclimatised.
So what do you think, do you still have the Giyas to compare to?
I find the whole 'not an audiophile' brand ridiculous, they have a superb history in professional audio and they measure better than
many/all 'audiophile' loudspeakers.
Keith.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Why shouldn't I answer? Because you are incapable of asking a "clean question"? If you just want to argue, I'm sure you have legal matters you could be working on. If you want to genuinely share real experiences and learning, you are welcome to join in.

Michael.

Well I did not see that coming.
It just dawned on me that the issue of first impressions is for another time. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.
The JBL may be homely but it is the sound that counts.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Well I did not see that coming.
It just dawned on me that the issue of first impressions is for another time. Sorry I ruffled your feathers.
The JBL may be homely but it is the sound that counts.
Greg I assume from your avatar that prefer the heavily marketed, but poorly measuring and to my ears deeply unconvincing ML's?
Keith.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
If I didn't have my Harbeths I would be all over these JBL's. Glad you are enjoying them Michael. It will be interesting to get your take on the vivid G3 after you have spent more time with the JBL's. I really like the vivids every time I have heard them but wide baffle speakers have a great presentation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing