Jbl 4367

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Thanks for putting it so kindly. I thought I was a home theater enthusiast earlier today. My buddies are already making fun of them. I've got thick skin so I can take it. :)
Do I see five way front loaded horns in your future!
Keep posting your impressions.
Keith

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks for putting it so kindly. I thought I was a home theater enthusiast earlier today. My buddies are already making fun of them. I've got thick skin so I can take it. :)

You, and Joe, and many others here and @ other audio forums...are all audio explorers and experimenters. ...With different/various audio gear and speakers.
Me I cannot afford in that vein...I hit a wall a while back...still searching for the soul of the music. ...And moderately, universally, and in multiplicity.

By the way Michael; the other day Gary K. said something to me and to this day it still resonates:
Something to the effect..."it must feel good to be back".

I simply replied by how much I appreciate his 'gentlemanship' and music taste.

It is right, it is true, it is life, it is good to be among some of the best educated intelligent people with good musical taste for the soul and spirit.
Nothing out of the wack, just right.
We don't forget our origins...they are all from the same directions. The music playing is similar, the voyage is shorter or longer for some.

And our words are what we are left with to communicate the music ? we love to listen to...

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
You, and Joe, and many others here and @ other audio forums...are all audio explorers and experimenters. ...With different/various audio gear and speakers.
Me I cannot afford anymore...I hit a wall a while back...still searching for the soul of the music.

Whatever I am, it's my sincere hope these speakers mark a personal turning point in this hobby.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Personal rant:

I read folks complaining about this album is too loud and dynamically clipped. You know the loudness wars. And I agree that I prefer music which retains appropriate dynamic range. However, I strongly believe that at least half, if not more, of the dissatisfaction folks express about recording/mastering quality is merely a reflection of their own system. IOW, loud music needs a system which is comfortable playing loud.

These speakers handle loud volume compressed stuff with no problem. The music retains an unstrained and relaxed character. Very few "high end" speakers can do this, IME.

Michael.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Ok, that's important. :b

I relied on a hand full of audio illuminati with whom I secretly communicate using top secret back channels.

Seriously, I have learned much from a handful of folks. I've listed them in the sticky for this subforum. I'd add Amir to that list. All of these folks are like mentors to me.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Personal rant:

I read folks complaining about this album is too loud and dynamically clipped. You know the loudness wars. And I agree that I prefer music which retains appropriate dynamic range. However, I strongly believe that at least half, if not more, of the dissatisfaction folks express about recording/mastering quality is merely a reflection of their own system. IOW, loud music needs a system which is comfortable playing loud.

These speakers handle loud volume compressed stuff with no problem. The music retains an unstrained and relaxed character. Very few "high end" speakers can do this, IME.

Michael.

IDK... a lack of compression requires the system to be able to play the peaks louder for the same perceived volume levels.

But I understand what you're saying, maybe now you get why I prefer large woofers vs smaller woofers with more excursion... smaller woofers just can't provide the same experience.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I admit it. I was prejudiced against a speaker pair which looks like a washer and dryer, as my cruel friends said this morning. I'm over it now. I kinda like these blue, black, short and fat beautiful music makers. :)

IDK... a lack of compression requires the system to be able to play the peaks louder for the same perceived volume levels.

But I understand what you're saying, maybe now you get why I prefer large woofers vs smaller woofers with more excursion... smaller woofers just can't provide the same experience.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Also, they are pretty low... if you need some additional height I'd consider IsoAcoustics stands.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php

The modular series is what you want...

I've tried them and am currently using them with my 15" woofer cabinets and the results are great. These stands will be incorporated into the speaker design and come with the speakers.

I admit it. I was prejudiced against a speaker pair which looks like a washer and dryer, as my cruel friends said this morning. I'm over it now. I kinda like these blue, black, short and fat beautiful music makers. :)

Lol, looks isn't the strong point... for a speaker they intend for home use they might have put a bit more effort into aesthetics.

For my preferences this type of speaker is the best, the speaker I'm working on is somewhat similar... very similar as far as functional design goals.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is only lesson that counts. The long term home listening experience. If you keep coming home to her... Otherwise she'll be on ebay.

Last edited:

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Dave Morrison is making a custom stand for the 4367. I hope to have them next week. In the interim, they are sitting on H dollies, which are 5.25" tall. That's a good height because the tweeter is at about 3'2". I listen 9' away.

I really think the waveguide is wonderful. I've never been able to get such smooth response from a speaker in my room. They do control unwanted reflections.

My friend Mitch certainly inspired me to be more interested in this speaker design. I agree that it's a powerful combination. Mitch has written quite a lot about his DIY active waveguide speakers.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...e-alignment-driver-linearization-walkthrough/

Also, they are pretty low... if you need some additional height I'd consider IsoAcoustics stands.

http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php

The modular series is what you want...

I've tried them and am currently using them with my 15" woofer cabinets and the results are great. These stands will be incorporated into the speaker design and come with the speakers.

Lol, looks isn't the strong point... for a speaker they intend for home use they might have put a bit more effort into aesthetics.

For my preferences this type of speaker is the best, the speaker I'm working on is somewhat similar... very similar as far as functional design goals.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The original was better :).

Michael, he says you need to live with them for a while to have a correct opinion of their sound.

The issue will likely be most other speakers have inferior woofers and will be hard to live with after the JBLs.

But I agree with that, you need to live with them and optimize everything else too. Compression drivers generally work best with a touch of warmth... Something like NCore NC500s with a tube buffer instead of op-amp input might be a good match, would be a fun amp to build...

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

Michael, he says you need to live with them for a while to have a correct opinion of their sound.

Okay. That's fair. I think this boils down to how one evaluates new gear. And there are two schools of thought. Some folks believe one needs a lot of time listening before a judgment can be made. I am of the other school of thought. We hold that the most valuable impression is the first impression. That's the time when listening memory differences most starkly contrast with the new music coming from the new gear. I go with my gut and what it tells me in the beginning. However, the first school of thought has value too. Speakers don't really change much over time but how we use them can change and therefore our preferences can change. Change happens.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Lol...home to her...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing