Jbl 4367

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Rob,

I did NOT want to use the standard amps, either Crown or Levinson. I personally could deal with basic setup myself but I know for a fact that many hidden "features" or "dealer only" options exist that we have no access to on our own. I don't like or want that. Give me a truly open system, tell me how to do it, or at least let me know what options are available but don't lock me out.

Complexity of set-up?? It's a piece of cake. All you have to do is load the preset into the amps using a USB stick and hook them up. What am I missing??

Rob:)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Joe

You don't have to go with either option you can use one of the BSS speaker controllers the 80, 160 or 800. It's right in the owners manual as an option if don't want to use the Crowns. Once you load the preset you can do whatever you want. I have HiQnet DSP software in my Crown amp I use for my HT subs. It is quite impressive and easy to use. The only limit you have are the number of filter resources used by the preset the rest is open for customization. You can even download and play with the software in demo mode. It is not a closed system.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Rob,

I'll have to check into the BSS gear. I do like the 4367 speaker packaging and may wait for them to come out before I make any decisions.

Hello Joe

You don't have to go with either option you can use one of the BSS speaker controllers the 80, 160 or 800. It's right in the owners manual as an option if don't want to use the Crowns. Once you load the preset you can do whatever you want. I have HiQnet DSP software in my Crown amp I use for my HT subs. It is quite impressive and easy to use. The only limit you have are the number of filter resources used by the preset the rest is open for customization. You can even download and play with the software in demo mode. It is not a closed system.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you Keith. I will look at these options and see what might be the easiest and most effective to implement.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Keith,

This sounds really exciting. It would be great to have a local dealer like you to help. I'll do more research on what you are recommending and see what's involved. Thank you so much again. I am sure I will have a few questions for you to get me more comfortable with the gear. This really is all new to me.

Would either of these pieces be something I'd need for 2 channel audio?

http://www.illusonic.com/audio-processors/iap-2/

http://www.illusonic.com/audio-processors/iap-4/

Could I do all the setup myself as far as measurements and get myself going?

bromide

Aug 20, 2012
I had the chance to hear these before Cedia, but a lot of the demo material was too loud for my tastes. I had already paid for M2's so I didn't give the 4367 a serious listen. That deal later fell through, JBL refunded the money, and now everything is back on the table.

Are the 4367 still intended to be used with an SDEC? I know passive crossover means you don't have to, but do they have the presets for the speakers? I would also be interested to hear a shootout between modern room correction systems and the SDEC. I know Harman did that a few years back, but it didn't include Trinnov or Dirac, which are both better regarded than the competition the SDEC originally faced.

I read there is a new SDEC 5500 in the pipeline, any info on the improvements over the 4500 ?

I was also curious if the SDP-75 Blulink connection to the SDEC would be able to send hires 24/96 audio? I know Blulink supports that data rate, but will HDCP force down res to 16/48 before transmitting on an unencrypted digital link?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was also curious if the SDP-75 Blulink connection to the SDEC would be able to send hires 24/96 audio? I know Blulink supports that data rate, but will HDCP force down res to 16/48 before transmitting on an unencrypted digital link?
That would only be required for Blu-ray content.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Bump for an update......

Are you still thinking JBL 4367 or M2's?

I had the chance to hear these before Cedia, but a lot of the demo material was too loud for my tastes. I had already paid for M2's so I didn't give the 4367 a serious listen. That deal later fell through, JBL refunded the money, and now everything is back on the table.

Are the 4367 still intended to be used with an SDEC? I know passive crossover means you don't have to, but do they have the presets for the speakers? I would also be interested to hear a shootout between modern room correction systems and the SDEC. I know Harman did that a few years back, but it didn't include Trinnov or Dirac, which are both better regarded than the competition the SDEC originally faced.

I read there is a new SDEC 5500 in the pipeline, any info on the improvements over the 4500 ?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
M2: (DSP corrected)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
"....ensure audiophile level of performance" So is that a bad thing or a good thing? :D

A good thing!! :D

I am interested to audition this speaker and perhaps the M2... Now that I am opening my eyes to this fact, there seem to be out there several serious "audiophile level of performance" offerings flying under the radar.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Japanese have been sort of the spiritual care takers of these types of speakers. What they are doing to JBLs, TADs, replacing caps, wiring harnesses, connectors, replacing resistors with autoformers. It's all great stuff and for little added in cost but a few hundred dollars and TLC. One doesn't need to go all tube either with the present day's growing wealth of mid-powered Class A amps. In the pro world you have to dig a little bit deeper into the underground. There you'll find custom monitor builders like Kinoshita from Japan, Jacobi in Benelux, people like Sides in the USA. Clientele are usually composers and arrangers. The growing dependence on in-box production suites has given birth to a new generation of active monitors. The boys and girls who started out in their folk's attics or basements have grown up and can afford better tools. "audiophile levels of performance"? Indeed. Too bad they are not cheap.

Fedde LeGrand's suite by Jacobi. Hypex'd and DSP'd.

52dc82eae952030ca02e28cb8ae4f0f2.jpeg

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Thanks. That's very interesting. I've noticed there's much more interest in JBL from Eastern nations than in the U.S. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. :D

The Japanese have been sort of the spiritual care takers of these types of speakers. What they are doing to JBLs, TADs, replacing caps, wiring harnesses, connectors, replacing resistors with autoformers. It's all great stuff and for little added in cost but a few hundred dollars and TLC. One doesn't need to go all tube either with the present day's growing wealth of mid-powered Class A amps. In the pro world you have to dig a little bit deeper into the underground. There you'll find custom monitor builders like Kinoshita from Japan, Jacobi in Benelux, people like Sides in the USA. Clientele are usually composers and arrangers. The growing dependence on in-box production suites has given birth to a new generation of active monitors. The boys and girls who started out in their folk's attics or basements have grown up and can afford better tools. "audiophile levels of performance"? Indeed. Too bad they are not cheap.

Fedde LeGrand's suite by Jacobi. Hypex'd and DSP'd.

View attachment 25124

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My guess is that it's partially or maybe even mostly due to being exposed to poorly done PA or worse poor knock offs. I think most of us grew up seeing JBL stickers slapped on plywood J or W boxes and the greater majority never really heard the real deals used right.

Mctwins

Feb 1, 2013
No doubt the m2 is smoother due to the DSP correction. I hope to get a pair of 4367s next month. I will use DSP correction as well. I bet I can get very similar results to the m2 with DSP.

Hallo!

I don't think you would need any DSP correction with 4367. It has passive network and this has allready been done contra the M2 is a active system with no network(tweeter has some protection). M2 is a true Bi-amp system with DSP settings inside the Crown amps or BSS-BLU DSP.

Here is a link from Floyd Toole, read the section "2.4 "Room Equalization" Is a Misnormer"

http://www.aes.org/journal/online/jaes.cfm?file=JAES_V63_7_8/JAES_V63_7_8_PG512hirez.pdf&elibID=17839

Nice speaker:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing