Jbl 4367

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I may have them in my room soon as well. We will see.

I've been kicking around a controlled directivity horn speaker for several months now. I've considered Earl Geddes and the JBLs. To me, those are among the best. I know Duke does it as well and I'm sure they are great too. I've followed a couple of threads on DIYaudio about waveguides too. I'm not planning on selling my YGs. I am looking for a different speaker design which can play better for really loud and dynamic music. My room is 14'6" wide and I want a speaker which can give me a wide sweet spot but be able to control at least some of the energy reflected from lateral walls. Waveguide speakers could be the answer depending on the setup.

Thanks M, the UK is largely an extremely 'traditional' market, I would expect the 4367 to be more popular here, allowing customers to choose amps and ancillaries.
Personally I am a huge fan of DSP for crossovers.
I will try and get a pair here ASAP, it will be interesting to compare them with my traditional horns ( Cessaro ) and pro monitors, Grimm and hopefully Kii THREE.
Keith.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Reflex ports cause increased group delay the closer in frequency to the tuning frequency. I use an 80hz NT FIR crossover to a pair of jl audio f113. I can also correct for time domain. Phase shifts or group deal won't be a problem in my setup.

Michael I will be interested to heard your thoughts, we have some two way horns here, that use a TAD 2001 mid/hf compression driver and cross to a Surravox bass driver, and some larger four way designs .Traditionally multi channel four or five way has been deemed the way to go ,with if possible front loaded bass horns if you have the space.
Bass reflex has been frowned on a little as some feel the character of the bass will be different from the horn loaded mids and highs.
The 4367's appear to cross the horn pro monitor divide so they should be interesting.
Keith.

Mctwins

Feb 1, 2013
Hallo!

Seems to be a great update to 4365!!

The difference I see is in the dimension, the size seems a bit smaller than the 4365. You gain 1dB in sensitivity, that's cool.

I have great result with one Crown MA5000i running in single wire and fullrange. Plenty off SPL level here:)

Attachments

• DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 2,807

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Very cool setup! Are those helmholz bass traps?

Hallo!

Seems to be a great update to 4365!!

The difference I see is in the dimension, the size seems a bit smaller than the 4365. You gain 1dB in sensitivity, that's cool.

I have great result with one Crown MA5000i running in single wire and fullrange. Plenty off SPL level here:)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I've been kicking around a controlled directivity horn speaker for several months now.

Hello Dallasjustice

DIY or are you purchasing a finished speaker?? You can get the M2 waveguides and the drivers. Based on some preliminary measurements the EQ for the M2 waveguide can be done using a passive network with good results. I have PTH1010 waveguides and Array horns in DIY projects and they image very well. CD horns can really sound great!!

Rob:)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Hello Dallasjustice

DIY or are you purchasing a finished speaker?? You can get the M2 waveguides and the drivers. Based on some preliminary measurements the EQ for the M2 waveguide can be done using a passive network with good results. I have PTH1010 waveguides and Array horns in DIY projects and they image very well. CD horns can really sound great!!

Thanks for the words on encouragement. I am interested in getting a pair of 4367. It should be very similar in performance to the m2. It has an updated woofer, the same compression driver and very similar specs. It looks a little smaller and doesn't go quite as low.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The M2 uses minimum phase filters to linearize the drivers' response.

The importer confirmed they were at the show, so I could have heard them, the organise of this show is a HiFi mag, they don't allow any rival reporting so there is zero publicity.
I am looking forward to hearing them here though.
On another forum a corespondent suggested that the Crown amps ,had the facility to 'correct' any anomalies from the M2's waveguide?
This seems unlikely, I understand that the software could correct the speaker room interaction, but correct the waveguide?
Keith.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm not sure how much DSP capability is inside the crown amps. I know they can do speaker linearization, delay and crossover. I don't know about other DSP. I believe the SDEC unit can do pretty much anything in the DSP realm. Having said that, it requires specialized training and gear to do more advanced functions.

Me personally, I generally don't like "closed box" solutions and that's why I cannot consider the m2. It sounds like the 4367 is an excellent alternative for someone like me.

I think I am beginning to understand the arcane JBL terminology, correct me if I am wrong!
M2's can be used with Crown amps to configure crossovers.
M2's can be used with other amps but you need the dspec unit.
The dspec unit is the BSS multi channel box, which can be used with JBL's ARCOS software, I imagine if you choose the Crown amps you still need the BSS unit if you wish to EQ etc ?
Keith.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
dallasjustice,

Seems your mailbox is full. I can't send you a pm.

I am so eager to read your feedback on the JBL 4367 speakers. I wanted the M2's but the complexity of setup and support after the sale was non-existent for me. The 4367 seem like the perfect alternative.

Joe

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I felt the exact same way Joe. Please PM me again. I emptied it out.

Michael.

dallasjustice,

Seems your mailbox is full. I can't send you a pm.

I am so eager to read your feedback on the JBL 4367 speakers. I wanted the M2's but the complexity of setup and support after the sale was non-existent for me. The 4367 seem like the perfect alternative.

Joe

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I will certainly post my honest thoughts.

The question can either be posed in the negative or in the positive. IOW, some folks ask; "what's wrong with your current speakers that you feel the need to buy new ones?" Others ask; "what are you aiming for with different speakers?" I choose the second approach because I recognize all speakers are nothing more than different combinations of compromises. Some have fewer compromises than others, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

JBL distribution within the UK is convulted to say the least, Harman don't distribute the more expensive speakers themselves, heavens knows why not.
The M2s are both Pro and domestic , the 4367's domestic only I believe, you will post your thoughts when you have had a chance to evaluate them,I would value your opinion.
BW Keith.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I wanted the M2's but the complexity of setup and support after the sale was non-existent for me.

Complexity of set-up?? It's a piece of cake. All you have to do is load the preset into the amps using a USB stick and hook them up. What am I missing??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing