Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jbl 4367

Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    I can't seem to find any information on the d spec unit?
    On the M2 site they mention the Crown amps, and the hardware available for controlling multiple speakers.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Keith.
    There are two packages for M2, one out of the pro group that comes with Crown amps and DSP within. The other is through the luxury division that comes with Levinson Amps and SDEC processors. The SDEC processor performs both the signal processing/crossover for M2 and room EQ. Alas, I don't think you can find a lot of information on it but ask me what you like to know and I may be able to answer .
    Amir
    Madrona Digital
    Founder, Audio Science Review Forum
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! dallasjustice's Avatar
    Amir,
    Are you going to get a 4367 pair for demo?
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Below link has more pix. I think it looks much nicer than the m2. I like the blue baffle and black walnut.
    http://dcoystaging.com/JBL_Synthesis/4367/index.html
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by dallasjustice View Post
    Amir,
    Are you going to get a 4367 pair for demo?
    It is not a good fit for our business since we specialize in architectural products and this thing screams "speaker!" I hear very good things about it performance wise. I hope I can hear it soon.
    Amir
    Madrona Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Purite Audio View Post
    I would like to know exactly what the SDEC box does ?
    Actually you are very close to the source of that technology. Harman bought BSS audio a few years back: http://bssaudio.com/en-US.

BSS makes extensive set of DSP hardware product. They are programmed using their software, London Architect in countless venues to shape sound reproduction.

What Harman did was use their audio research to implement room EQ and crossover using BSS hardware. They take standard BSS Audio DSP rack units, pre-program them with their software and sell them under the SDEC and JBL Synthesis brands.

Unlike all other competing systems, the room EQ from JBL does NOT come with ability to measure anything. Dealers are loaned an 8-microphone system that also uses BSS hardware to measure the room response. The software is told what loudspeakers you have and if it is one of Harman's it will know its capabilities so it will not try to ask them to unnatural things like boosting their bass frequencies and create a lot of distortions. For this reason, it is not very DIY friendly although post correction, you can mess with the system created filters.

There are some key benefits that come with this (please read all of this with a grain of salt given the commercial interest my company has with Harman and my personal relationship with them):
    1. With 8-mic measurement system, you can repeat the process as many times you want and evolve your room EQ. With a single mic that you walk around there is no way to duplicate the results a second time.

2. The EQ software called ARCOS, is able and will program multiple subs differently. It can apply independent filter, delay and level to each one to get them to all blend as optimally as possible with each of your loudspeakers. See this article on this technology called SFM: http://www.madronadigital.com/Librar...Acoustics.html

3. Crossover optimizations between the sub and each loudspeaker. Again, while using multiple subs and multiple loudspeakers, the system will try to find the optimal filter settings so that each loudspeaker blends well with the subs.

4. Once these things are done, then overall set of loudspeakers -- mains and subs -- can be treated as one and global EQ applied to them just like other systems do. If one skips the previous steps, then the correction is not nearly as effective. See this article on this and overall UI for the system: http://www.madronadigital.com/Librar...imization.html

5. The system is highly tunable. I can turn any correction filter on and off independently. I can listen by ear and see if a lift of 3 db at 68 Hz really made things better or just made the graph pretty. You can literally close your eyes and click with a mouse on a checkbox for that filter to hear the effect. And of course can choose to turn off all filters above certain frequency.

Everything I described works with passive loudspeakers. Where M2 is different is that it also comes with "anechoic" correction filters and crossovers in the DSP/SDEC processor.

Back to the hardware, the version I have and what started it is a two-box system: http://www.madronadigital.com/Showroom/HomeTheater.html

You get 14 output channels out of the system which you can configure to drive loudspeakers from 1 to 3 way and N number of them around the room. There are now other versions with different number of inputs and outputs.

I am not an expert on what you get when you buy the Crown amps with DSP in them. My sense is that it is a subset of all of this but I don't know. I can find out though.
    Amir
    Madrona Digital

Here are some specs I found:

4367 Specifications

15" 2-way Studio Monitor Loudspeaker

Specs
    Features:
    15" (380mm) low-frequency transducer for low-distortion, natural sound

Extremely smooth and wide frequency response

High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) horn technology

Frequency Response:
    30Hz – 40kHz

Speaker Configuration:
    3" (175mm) D22430K dual compression (U.S. patent no. 8280091) with High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) waveguide horn (U.S. patents pending)

15" (380mm) 2216Nd-1 Differential Drive® woofer (U.S. patent nos. 5664023, 5748760, 6768804, 6847726, 6774510)

Power Handling:
    300 watts RMS

Sensitivity 1W @ 1m:
    94dB

Nominal Impedance:
    6 Ohms

Dimensions (H x W x D):
    37-1/16" x 22-1/16" x 16-3/4" (941 mm x 560 mm x 425 mm)
    MUSIC IS GOOD

The crossovers don't appear to be soldered. Maybe the crossover can be bypassed?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 906
Size:  54.9 KB
    MUSIC IS GOOD

This is a VERY dynamic, low distortion speaker in a small package which doesn't need much power to reach ear piercing SPLs.
    MUSIC IS GOOD

I would love to get some listener feedback on these speakers. I bet they could be a lot of fun with the right gear.
    Joe

Here is a good shot of the waveguide. I talked to Kevin Voecks about how Harman designs their waveguides. He said they've written software which can predict the off axis response and it spits out the corresponding waveguide shape. Well I'm sure there's more to it than that. But that's all that I remember.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 774
Size:  43.6 KB
    MUSIC IS GOOD

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast