Jbl 4367

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Cool!

Am I correct in assuming that a pair with all the options will run around $2K-2.5K? I do want the warmer sound of the Sparko (?) op amp.

He has the mono blocks, but he also has a stereo unit for cheaper. But the stereo is dual mono. It uses 2 supplies. So really up to use if you want it split into 2 cases or not.

Loaded up with the Sparko discrete board, the stereo unit at today's exchange rate is only $1904 USD plus shipping. Dual mono blocks $2123.

Seriously insane deal. He's not making much money on these. I was going to sell the same things at 1 point but then I seen how many guys are coming out with amps based on these so thought screw it, and just gave my idea away for the buffer stage for free. He was originally going to just use the same board as Acoustic imagery. I told him that's pretty boring. We will have a bunch of clones in different cases with everyone trying to underbid each other.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
and I want to apologize to Michael for screwing up his thread - all I made is a simple suggestion to try a low power SS amp out. Good luck with your new speakers!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
and I really don't care as I don't know their experience, speakers, or implementation. if you're implementation is the best, I've offered to demo your amps vs. my current SS reference and put forth a detailed review for all on WBF to read. in fact, you can proofread the review before its posted. i've been interested in Class D for years, as you can see by my posted experience.

Try a decent class D amp like these Nord's then share your opinion. Class d Ncore amps modules sound exactly like the buffer used. They are 100% transparent. If you use a cold sounding buffer like an IC opamp, you get cold sound. If you use a nice warm rich sounding buffer like the Sparko Lab's discrete Class A opamp, you get a nice warm rich sounding amp.

Best test to prove it is to power a set of headphones with the buffer, then connect the buffer to the amp and the headphones to the amp output. Match the levels and they sound identical. Do the same with an IC opamp based buffer, and it sounds exactly like the IC opamp.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
Class D is THE perfect topology for a high efficiency speaker. I can set max volume and put my ear up to the horn throat. When I do that I hear infinite nothingness. Why don't you agree?
I have been using horns ,proper horns with horns and compression drivers for the last ten years or so, I have and continue to try everything, Bruno's designs are my favourites, I have tried other Class D amps, and they are not all equal.
Low powered class A, AB, valves is single ended, PSA and push pull, as Mike says you put your ear to the speaker with the amps turned up and you hear nothing.
I am perplexed when low powered amps ,designed specifically for sensitive speakers are so noisy, what are the designers thinking?
Keith.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I have been using horns ,proper horns with horns and compression drivers for the last ten years or so, I have and continue to try everything, Bruno's designs are my favourites, I have tried other Class D amps, and they are not all equal.
Low powered class A, AB, valves is single ended, PSA and push pull, as Mike says you put your ear to the speaker with the amps turned up and you hear nothing.
I am perplexed when low powered amps ,designed specifically for sensitive speakers are so noisy, what are the designers thinking?
Keith.

You mean you're not a big fan of that comforting buzz and hiss so many cherish?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Pretty easy to feel that way when you don't have a clue.

This becomes now warning number 3 from myself.I have warned you to stay on topic and not to cast disparaging remarks to other members
It's time that you begin to follow directions Mike and get over the constant derision of members.

I think you need to take a short time off and ponder about the Admin team's recommendation to you which you continually thumb your nose at

Our TOS are meant to be followed Mike. I trust you will understand after your 3 day vacation and that you return with a better attitude

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That looks good... when you have all seats occupied try pointing the right speaker at the left person's head and vice versa, i.e. more toe. I don't particularly like this arrangement better, but it works better for sharing the sweet spot.

This is something I know Duke recommends with the similarly designed Geddes speakers. I think the theory is that it can add some late arrival reflections and reduce some early sidewall reflections.

I gave it a try. It's is pretty sweet sounding with mega toe-in. You can see from the pix below that each speaker is pointed at seats adjacent to MLP. I know, it looks wack. But with a waveguide speaker with great off axis, it can be done without losing any soundstage width. I've tried this in the past with other speakers and the soundstage just collapses. With the 4367 in the super toe-in setup, the soundstage remains very wide but it also moved much further behind the speakers. Everything is totally detached from the speaker. It's a keeper setup!
image.jpg image.jpg

Michael.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
This is something I know Duke recommends with the similarly designed Geddes speakers. I think the theory is that it can add some late arrival reflections and reduce some early sidewall reflections.

I gave it a try. It's is pretty sweet sounding with mega toe-in. You can see from the pix below that each speaker is pointed at seats adjacent to MLP. I know, it looks wack. But with a waveguide speaker with great off axis, it can be done without losing any soundstage width. I've tried this in the past with other speakers and the soundstage just collapses. With the 4367 in the super toe-in setup, the soundstage remains very wide but it also moved much further behind the speakers. Everything is totally detached from the speaker. It's a keeper setup!
View attachment 25646 View attachment 25647

Michael.
This does indeed look wacko but I have tried this setup with success. You have gone a little further with the toe in than I did but glad your enjoying it.

Those plus sized beasties do strike a pose in that configuration, still not quite Paris catwalk ;)

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Our TOS are meant to be followed Mike. I trust you will understand after your 3 day vacation and that you return with a better attitude

Unfortunately, hasn't worked in the past...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I liked crossing in front of me for awhile, but discovered it's usually due to under-current capable something in the chain of electronics somewhere. That or excessive noise (obviously not audible with ear at the speaker, but it changes the music). The solidity of the image will be somewhat weak unless panned hard left/right too, if this problem is present.

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk

View attachment 25646 View attachment 25647

Michael.
Grimm recommend the same extreme 45 degree toe in for their LS1's, crossing approx one metre I believe in front of listener, I use them that way and enjoy it, they have a software switch to select between normal 30 and 45 degree toe in.
Kei.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
This does indeed look wacko but I have tried this setup with success. You have gone a little further with the toe in than I did but glad your enjoying it.

Those plus sized beasties do strike a pose in that configuration, still not quite Paris catwalk ;)

Yeah Thomas. The JBLs could use a dietician and a few hours of TRX training in the gym. I didn't fall in love with her looks. I fell in love with her because of what she does to me. ;)

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Love is blind:D

It's cool your all about the sound! And boy have you proved it.... Respect.

No point in having pretty thin things that can't take a pounding;)

We may we'll end up with the same speaker once more.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I do prefer to have the lights turned down low when we are together. I also frequently close my eyes. She made me cry the other day. She didn't mean to hurt my feelings but she brings these emotions out of me. I can't explain it.

Love is blind:D

It's cool your all about the sound! And boy have you proved it.... Respect.

No point in having pretty thin things that can't take a pounding;)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Comparing these to the Geddes - aren't the Geddes a "controlled dispersion" speaker in which off-axis sound deliberately drops off very quickly?

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing