Jbl 4367

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
well, duh. he's trying to sell you an amp.

No he was auditioning my amps actually. And it was quite embarrassing for him to say the least.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Incorrect analysis- with your amp, you get a picket fence of odd-order harmonics and THD distortion highest at the lowest output, together. with (some) First Watts, you don't.
I don't know if I do or I don't when said with such generalization and in words only.

If all you care about is THD, go run and buy yourself a QSC or Crown amp with a zillion dbs of negative feedback and infinitesimally low THD.
Many QSC amps are class H so not sure how that got into the equation. Nor do commercial amps necessarily have the lowest THD specs.

I also find it amusing you quote 60k digital amps against amps < 10k, but that's another story.
It is the amplifier I have which I listen to day in and day out and have used it to evaluate tons of other loudspeakers. You prefer I throw out another amp I have not used?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I am a dealer for audio science. And audio science says efficiency numbers are marketing values. A big woofer in a speaker needs a ton of power. It doesn't care how efficient the compression driver is where efficiency is measured and put on the spec sheet. Unless you have efficiency number for below 500, forget about using them to figure out how much power you need.

That is why I said your low power amp can be beat and beat easily because it can easily be pushed into distortion with the type of speaker we are talking about.

Now if you have a speaker that has a wave guide for the woofer, and therefore is the size of a refrigerator, then sure. You can use low power amps. Don't confuse the two.

Amir- i would never put a low power amp on the wrong speaker. more power is only better all things considered, which they rarely are. If the JBLs, which DJ thinks are really more like 100db, they should be able to be run on 20-25 watts amps with ease.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It is the amplifier I have which I listen to day in and day out and have used it to evaluate tons of other loudspeakers. You prefer I throw out another amp I have not used?

I would love to compare them with my NC500 based units.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
i've heard many not sound very good.

then send me yours- step up to the plate!

You can't even name more than 1, or describe how the buffer stage is implemented. How do you expect anything you're saying to carry any weight? You don't even know the proper terminology to call them. you think they are "digital amps"

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
so is he becoming a dealer for your amps?

No I'm not selling through dealers. Nor am I selling any stand alone amps.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You can't even name more than 1, or describe how the buffer stage is implemented. How do you expect anything you're saying to carry any weight? You don't even know the proper terminology to call them. you think they are "digital amps"

I've owned Rowland and Nuforce. Have heard Mola Mola, Devialet D Premier, and Spec most recently.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I've owned Rowland and Nuforce. Have heard Mola Mola, Devialet D Premier, and Spec most recently.

Which amp modules were in the Rowland? How was the buffer stage implemented?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
and I'm not saying digital, or chip, or Class D can't sound good on some systems. in fact, my speakers use Hypex for active bass amps :) I just feel with high efficiency speakers, there are considerably better alternatives for the rest of the frequency range.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
and I'm not saying digital, or chip, or Class D can't sound good on some systems. I just feel with high efficiency speakers, there are considerably better alternatives.

You don't have a clue, you never even heard a good class D amp. I think Michael should know how his Mola Mola's sound with his speakers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
so is he becoming a dealer for your amps?
Dealer for his amps? What are you talking about Keith? My company does not cater to any audiophiles or retail business. We do custom electronics for commercial and mid to high-end residential. I wouldn't know the first thing about making money from selling gear to you all :). So please stop throwing these jabs.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Dealer for his amps? What are you talking about Keith? My company does not cater to any audiophiles or retail business. We do custom electronics for commercial and mid to high-end residential. I wouldn't know the first thing about making money from selling gear to you all :). So please stop throwing these jabs.

that wasn't about you.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
You don't have a clue, you never even heard a good class D amp. I think Michael should know how his Mola Mola's sound with his speakers.

ahh, now come the personal attacks- awesome!

um, ok. this has nothing to do with Michael's current sound, but was just a suggestion to try something low powered as IMO it would sound better and is a HUGE benefit of having high efficient speakers.

and you've never heard a low power SS amp on high efficiency speakers as we've figured out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing