Jbl 4367

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
http://www.residentialsystems.com/a...bring-pro-audio-performance-to-the-home/87619

I was at CEDIA last weekend where this new speaker was announced. Unfortunately, I didn't actually see this speaker. It sounds like JBL is offering the 4367 as a "consumer" version of the JBL M2. That is, it's a passive version of the M2. From the photos I can find, it looks like the waveguide is a little different from the m2. I don't see that star shaped center to the waveguide. My understanding is that star shaped center of the waveguide improves nulls at HF.

Anyone else know anything about this new "consumer" JBL speaker?

I also wonder whether the newer Harman technology (waveguide) in this JBL speaker makes it a better performer over Harman's $22,000 Revel Salon Ultima 2 speakers.

Michael.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There is a bit on their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JBLsynthesis

$15/pair.

On waveguide, it does not have to look like M2. The design software spits outs all kind of shapes depending on what directivity it is told to produce it. The 4367 uses that software for its design of waveguide just the same as M2.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
So, the analog crossover can be bypassed?

This afternoon spoke to JBL Uk's PRO audio distributor, he sells the M2 at £8k ish per pair, and the Crown amps at around the same price per pair.
He confirmed that you don't need the crown amps, and you can use for example my Illusonic to generate the dSP crossovers, and you can use any amps you choose.
What is in the JBL d spec box?
Keith.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I was told that there is no 'analogue' crossover, the Crown amps have the facility to implement DSP crossovers.
Is that correct?
Traditional analogue crossovers in the 4367 though.

Keith

I think I misunderstood you. The 4367 is a fully passive speaker. The M2 requires digital crossovers.

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011
The JBL Interface, if using the SDEC as the active crossover it includes the DSP, Parametric and ARCOS Eq. I believe if using the crown amps, it includes the active crossover, dsp and can utilize a Parametric EQ.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I'd love to hear the JBL 4367's. I don't have a dealer to set up M2's and these could be a lot of fun.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The 4367 seem much easier to integrate into an existing system. These speakers might make more sense for me than trying to incorporate an SDEC into my system. The SDEC can do everything. However, it requires specialized setup to do the more advanced functions.

The 4367 look a little short. I bet they need a little stand.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can't seem to find any information on the d spec unit?
On the M2 site they mention the Crown amps, and the hardware available for controlling multiple speakers.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Keith.
There are two packages for M2, one out of the pro group that comes with Crown amps and DSP within. The other is through the luxury division that comes with Levinson Amps and SDEC processors. The SDEC processor performs both the signal processing/crossover for M2 and room EQ. Alas, I don't think you can find a lot of information on it but ask me what you like to know and I may be able to answer :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would like to know exactly what the SDEC box does ?
Actually you are very close to the source of that technology. Harman bought BSS audio a few years back: http://bssaudio.com/en-US.

BSS makes extensive set of DSP hardware product. They are programmed using their software, London Architect in countless venues to shape sound reproduction.

What Harman did was use their audio research to implement room EQ and crossover using BSS hardware. They take standard BSS Audio DSP rack units, pre-program them with their software and sell them under the SDEC and JBL Synthesis brands.

Unlike all other competing systems, the room EQ from JBL does NOT come with ability to measure anything. Dealers are loaned an 8-microphone system that also uses BSS hardware to measure the room response. The software is told what loudspeakers you have and if it is one of Harman's it will know its capabilities so it will not try to ask them to unnatural things like boosting their bass frequencies and create a lot of distortions. For this reason, it is not very DIY friendly although post correction, you can mess with the system created filters.

There are some key benefits that come with this (please read all of this with a grain of salt given the commercial interest my company has with Harman and my personal relationship with them):
1. With 8-mic measurement system, you can repeat the process as many times you want and evolve your room EQ. With a single mic that you walk around there is no way to duplicate the results a second time.

2. The EQ software called ARCOS, is able and will program multiple subs differently. It can apply independent filter, delay and level to each one to get them to all blend as optimally as possible with each of your loudspeakers. See this article on this technology called SFM: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/Computer Optimization of Acoustics.html

3. Crossover optimizations between the sub and each loudspeaker. Again, while using multiple subs and multiple loudspeakers, the system will try to find the optimal filter settings so that each loudspeaker blends well with the subs.

4. Once these things are done, then overall set of loudspeakers -- mains and subs -- can be treated as one and global EQ applied to them just like other systems do. If one skips the previous steps, then the correction is not nearly as effective. See this article on this and overall UI for the system: http://www.madronadigital.com/Library/BassOptimization.html

5. The system is highly tunable. I can turn any correction filter on and off independently. I can listen by ear and see if a lift of 3 db at 68 Hz really made things better or just made the graph pretty. You can literally close your eyes and click with a mouse on a checkbox for that filter to hear the effect. And of course can choose to turn off all filters above certain frequency.

Everything I described works with passive loudspeakers. Where M2 is different is that it also comes with "anechoic" correction filters and crossovers in the DSP/SDEC processor.

Back to the hardware, the version I have and what started it is a two-box system: http://www.madronadigital.com/Showroom/HomeTheater.html

You get 14 output channels out of the system which you can configure to drive loudspeakers from 1 to 3 way and N number of them around the room. There are now other versions with different number of inputs and outputs.

I am not an expert on what you get when you buy the Crown amps with DSP in them. My sense is that it is a subset of all of this but I don't know. I can find out though.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Here are some specs I found:

4367 Specifications

15" 2-way Studio Monitor Loudspeaker

Specs
Features:
15" (380mm) low-frequency transducer for low-distortion, natural sound

Extremely smooth and wide frequency response

High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) horn technology

Frequency Response:
30Hz – 40kHz

Speaker Configuration:
3" (175mm) D22430K dual compression (U.S. patent no. 8280091) with High-Definition Imaging (HDI™) waveguide horn (U.S. patents pending)

15" (380mm) 2216Nd-1 Differential Drive® woofer (U.S. patent nos. 5664023, 5748760, 6768804, 6847726, 6774510)

Power Handling:
300 watts RMS

Sensitivity 1W @ 1m:
94dB

Nominal Impedance:
6 Ohms

Dimensions (H x W x D):
37-1/16" x 22-1/16" x 16-3/4" (941 mm x 560 mm x 425 mm)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
This is a VERY dynamic, low distortion speaker in a small package which doesn't need much power to reach ear piercing SPLs.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I would love to get some listener feedback on these speakers. I bet they could be a lot of fun with the right gear.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Here is a good shot of the waveguide. I talked to Kevin Voecks about how Harman designs their waveguides. He said they've written software which can predict the off axis response and it spits out the corresponding waveguide shape. Well I'm sure there's more to it than that. But that's all that I remember. :D

image.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing