Jbl 4367

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
mr humble hifi says the solen is a 6 and the jup is a 12+!

Late to the discussion but good to see my soon to - be purchased ClarityCap MRs ranked at 11+ and his personal favorites!

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
This coming Thursday I'm going to be auditioning the Revel Studio 2s, the 4367s and the Giya 3s. It's going to be interesting sonically. Visually the Giyas and the JBLs are like the beauty and the beast!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This coming Thursday I'm going to be auditioning the Revel Studio 2s, the 4367s and the Giya 3s. It's going to be interesting sonically. Visually the Giyas and the JBLs are like the beauty and the beast!

3 very interesting speakers. I love the Revel but am concerned at its need for very powerful amps ... Haveonlyt heard great things about the other 2 and will audition them soon.
Would like to read your impressions

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?

i heard all three at rm 16 (well, maybe they weren't the Giya 3 but they were some larger Giya) and i almost bought the revels. the 4367 sound awesome, nothing like i would expect but they would be difficult to place in my space and my neighbors would kill me ... they can play extremely loud without a hint of strain. but easily one of the best top 10 speaker available (at any price).

but the revels do a lot of things really well, really well. they are SO musical. but they are large and this is just my preference, and perhaps i am a bit shallow, but i don't like the new look of them for some reason. they also have this flimsy door on the back that covers adjustments and binding posts. it is suppose to hide the cables and i get why they did it and it is cleaver. but if they looked like the old ones (the old gem to this day is one of my favorite looking speakers) and sounding like the new stuff i would have my final speaker already. revel has always been one of my favorites.

interestingly, after all this i am considering a pair of Vienna Acoustics (the kiss 3 ways) as my final speaker.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
To update you on what happened; I thought the Giyas were really good, I thought the Revels were fantastic, but the 4367s were just draw dropping. So much so that I bought the M2s! (In for a penny . . . .)
PS it was Giya 2s I actually heard.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
yeah i agree with you. if i had them i would end up playing them at insane volume levels and **** all my neighbors off ... i already handle that well enough on my own! but you do have an amazing speaker.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
To update you on what happened; I thought the Giyas were really good, I thought the Revels were fantastic, but the 4367s were just draw dropping. So much so that I bought the M2s! (In for a penny . . . .)
PS it was Giya 2s I actually heard.

Just curious what amps and crossover you went with on the M2's. I absolutely LOVE my 4367's.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Just curious what amps and crossover you went with on the M2's. I absolutely LOVE my 4367's.

Also Curious .. Please let us know.

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
I use the miniDSP gear for the signal processing as worked up by POS on the Lansing Forum. Currently I'm driving the woofers with a Crown K2 and the CDs with Ncore 400 monoblocks. I will shortly be making a pair of Neurochrome Paralllel 86 amps that will then drive the CDs and the Ncores will handle the woofers. I've never heard the recommended Crown amps but I'd still wager that the Ncores / Neurochrome are in an entirely different league. These speakers deserve superb amplifiers!

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
I use the miniDSP gear for the signal processing as worked up by POS on the Lansing Forum. Currently I'm driving the woofers with a Crown K2 and the CDs with Ncore 400 monoblocks. I will shortly be making a pair of Neurochrome Paralllel 86 amps that will then drive the CDs and the Ncores will handle the woofers. I've never heard the recommended Crown amps but I'd still wager that the Ncores / Neurochrome are in an entirely different league. These speakers deserve superb amplifiers!

i have always been intrigued by diy stuff. i wish i was able to build stuff ... i would totally spend the money to try and see how it compares to what you can buy from manufactures. there are benefits to both sides and i would be interested to hear a diy amp.

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
i have always been intrigued by diy stuff. i wish i was able to build stuff ... i would totally spend the money to try and see how it compares to what you can buy from manufactures. there are benefits to both sides and i would be interested to hear a diy amp.

There are a lot of extremely clever people who contribute to the DIY Audio forum and lots of outstanding projects to choose from. You can make an amp as good as any commercial design for a fraction of the price. That is not hyperbole. Hell, putting the Ncores together is so straightforward it barely qualifies as DIY.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The DIY is audio is a great hobby. I have followed many threads in diyaudio.com and they have people with great expertise, such as John Curl.

However we must remember that DIY carries the highest existing bias factor and most products are only scrutinized by their creators in their particular and unique systems. But yes, if I had a double audiophile life the second one would follow the DIY route.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Not sure about the Neurochrome amps but the Crowns are probably better than Hypex NC400 and have built-in DSP. Recent Crown amps are very good, I have Crown XLS and Hypex NC500 amps w/OEM input. Neither are great for higher frequencies but both are excellent for bass, they are very close in performance to one another. However, I think with a better input section the NC500's higher frequencies could be much better which would make it a very good amp. If NC400 isn't as good as NC500, then the Crowns are probably better.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi there. I have been contemplating trying the Jbl 4367 and was even planning a visit to Dallasjustice (Michael) to hear them in action which never materialized due to my busy schedule. I pair of M2s with the high power Crown IT-12000HD's showed up on Audiogon for a fair price, and I would consider scooping them up unheard and try them in my room. I am quite attached to my PS audio monos poweramps, and I would hate to have to part with them to drive the M2s with the Crowns (hence my preference for the JBL 4367), and I also don't like the idea of doing a A/D - D/A conversion in the amp. Any thoughts? I am currently using the Evolution Acoustics MM3. Like them a lot, but I want to downsize because of future move to smaller premises - I won't be able to take the giant EAs with me.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Hi there. I have been contemplating trying the Jbl 4367 and was even planning a visit to Dallasjustice (Michael) to hear them in action which never materialized due to my busy schedule. I pair of M2s with the high power Crown IT-12000HD's showed up on Audiogon for a fair price, and I would consider scooping them up unheard and try them in my room. I am quite attached to my PS audio monos poweramps, and I would hate to have to part with them to drive the M2s with the Crowns (hence my preference for the JBL 4367), and I also don't like the idea of doing a A/D - D/A conversion in the amp. Any thoughts? I am currently using the Evolution Acoustics MM3. Like them a lot, but I want to downsize because of future move to smaller premises - I won't be able to take the giant EAs with me.

Don't buy the M2. You obviously want the 4367. I would wait. You have great speakers to hold you over.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The crown amps have fans unfortunately so keep that in mind as you think about using them with M2.

IME, it's a non-issue... the fans are speed controlled and never noticeable. Although, I suppose if you crank them hard then go down to low SPLs the fans might be on higher speeds for a bit. I've never noticed any fan noise though.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

I have and absolutely LOVE my 4367's. You will actually need 4 channels of amplification for the M2's. I have used many amps and also use the BHK 300 monos, among others, on the 4367's and they are wonderful. The PS Audio amps are sleepers. Amazing for the money. The 4367's are so much easier to integrate in your room/home. As much as I love my Strads, the JBL's are receiving the majority of play time.

Don't buy the M2. You obviously want the 4367. I would wait. You have great speakers to hold you over.

;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing