audio research Ref 6

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
James

you ordered one yet? :)

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
starting to like it now...but no, i must not!!!!
i am very happily be-wedded to the se.

Last edited:

T.Barry

Aug 9, 2016
Introducing McIntosh Group

We are proud to introduce McIntosh Group, formerly Fine Sounds Group, and its new website www.mcintoshgroup.com. McIntosh Group is the parent company of six luxury audio brands – Audio Research, McIntosh, Pryma, Sonus faber, Sumiko Subwoofers and Wadia – an unparalleled assemblage of performance audio brands each with its own unique history, distinctiveness and reverence from their longtime customers. The website details our vision and philosophy for McIntosh Group in addition to providing a brief overview of each brand.

We continue to be excited about what the future holds for the audio industry and look forward to growing our ongoing relationship with you.

All the best,

McIntosh Group

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I dropped the ball today and ordered a Ref 6 my first Audio Research product. I should see it in time
for the weekend

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I dropped the ball today and ordered a Ref 6 my first Audio Research product. I should see it in time
for the weekend

Congratulations on your choice for your new preamp. I have both the Ref 5SE and the much more expensive Dartzeel NHB-18NS and prefer the ARC, so you should be very happy with your new Ref 6. But be prepared for >400 hours of break-in blues. What preamp is the ARC replacing?

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I was wondering if anyone compared the SE to the Balance on the Ref 6 , I am using a Totaldac Twelve and it is SE . I can purchase some transformers from Totaldac that will convert the SE to Bal but then I will also need to purchase another pair of cables and I'm wondering if the cost vs performance is there .

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I've been using ARC reference preamps for years and unless the source has balanced outputs, there's no sonic advantage to converting a single ended output to balanced. Using a transformer to convert a single ended signal to balanced just adds another component to the signal path and technically more damage and or loss to the purity of the signal.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Even if the end result is a complete true balanced system from input to output

Audio Research stated " recommend balanced connections input -to-output for best dynamics and resolution "

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The SE inputs of ARC tube preamplifiers are excellent sounding - unless you want to isolate grounds I do not see any advantage in adding a balancing transformer. But sometimes adding a transformer can improve (or degrade, sorry) the sound quality, particularly if the transformer has a transformation ratio different from 1:1 . In doubt, you should ask the DAC manufacturer.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I gave it some thought and what you said makes sense Thanks

Last edited:

Robert < NxLT > Slowinski

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
I have purchased new Audiodharma Cable Cocker. In the meantime I`m asking myself if the result will blown me away with the speaker-Capacitor burn-in , maybe I should also burn the capacitors of my new Preamplifier the Audio Research Reference 6 ? Thake them out and burn properly on the Cable Cocker ;-) Just a thought, the unit sounds great imho. I like soldering and make some test ;-) Does anybody know somebody done that ?

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Unsolder and remove the gold coupling capacitors of a brand new, beautifully built great sounding preamp?? Unless your goal is to void the warranty.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I have purchased new Audiodharma Cable Cocker. In the meantime I`m asking myself if the result will blown me away with the speaker-Capacitor burn-in , maybe I should also burn the capacitors of my new Preamplifier the Audio Research Reference 6 ? Thake them out and burn properly on the Cable Cocker ;-) Just a thought, the unit sounds great imho. I like soldering and make some test ;-) Does anybody know somebody done that ?

wow that's a bit extreme is it not , I didn't even want to change my IEC to a 15 amp

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

This is crazy - if you want to burn-in them just get some wires with alligator clips. If the preamplier is turned - off, the capacitors are in a medium -impedance state as the cathode resistor is around 10 kohm and the other wire of the capacitor is grounded by the mute relay.

Robert < NxLT > Slowinski

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
This is crazy - if you want to burn-in them just get some wires with alligator clips. If the preamplier is turned - off, the capacitors are in a medium -impedance state as the cathode resistor is around 10 kohm and the other wire of the capacitor is grounded by the mute relay.

Thanks microstrip. That would be the best solution. Are you 100% sure that I will not harm my beloved preamplifier ? I was also thinking about this, and even take out the valves out to be sure I don't damage anything.. Can another forum member approve this approach?

Last edited:

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
IMG_1321.JPG 75 hours on the Ref 6 and can't stop listening " wow " sounded best tonight since out of the box

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing