Tesseract, an overview from an Avalon insider's perspective

Steve Huntley -Avalon

[Industry Expert]
Oct 15, 2015
Hi Steve , thanks for the insights . How many pairs have been sold / spoken for , thus far ?

Including your pair, or not? :)

We're still filling the pipeline. There are a half dozen pairs scattered all over Asia, a pair on display in Russia with our distributor there, I forget where the next pair is going. We build them about as fast as we can (a couple months for each pair) and they are sold before they are done. I expect that to continue. I can only get one or two pairs for North America every year, I know that...we just can't ramp up production on something like this. The skills required to build them take years of experience building Avalons. We have some incredibly talented and hard working guys building our products. Each pair of Tess is a bit like giving birth though...a serious team effort by everyone.

Reactions: CKKeung

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Plucked off the internet

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
There is a top cabinet (Mid-bass, midrange, tweeter) and the sub cabinet on the bottom. They ship separately. A pair of Tesseracts come in 4 crates.

Thanks...when I'm ready to make a change from my Wilson X-2.2's, these speakers are at the top of my list to consider. They are imho from a vanity standpoint...the coolest looking speakers ever.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
In post #10, Steve mentions the total height as 7'-3" or 87". I just saved you $300K unless you move your listening room upstairs.

The tessies would have to wait for my next home...."87 inches will be close to touching my listening room ceiling.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
In post #10, Steve mentions the total height as 7'-3" or 87". I just saved you $300K unless you move your listening room upstairs.

That's an inch taller than VR-11s. I'm 5'10" and I can barely reach the top of those without tip toeing. It looks like Tess' pointy top is safe from her suitors' naughty hands! :D

Funny. I was thinking about this as I started reading through the thread. My soon to possess VR-11s and Tess both remind me of two of my favorite movies ever. VR-11s are Also Sprach Zarathustra in 2001, I want to listen to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks whenever I see a Tesseract. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The tessies would have to wait for my next home...."87 inches will be close to touching my listening room ceiling.

Oh, it is terrible - my listening room door is only 83 inches - fortunately it is enough for the SoundLab's!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Oh, it is terrible - my listening room door is only 83 inches - fortunately it is enough for the SoundLab's!

On the bright side, if I stay in this home a few more years, I can take the Tess money and put it towards a lightly used Ferrari F12 so that i can have a V12 Ferrari to keep my V8 Ferrari some company in the garage.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
That's an inch taller than VR-11s. I'm 5'10" and I can barely reach the top of those without tip toeing. It looks like Tess' pointy top is safe from her suitors' naughty hands! :D

Funny. I was thinking about this as I started reading through the thread. My soon to possess VR-11s and Tess both remind me of two of my favorite movies ever. VR-11s are Also Sprach Zarathustra in 2001, I want to listen to the Lord of the Rings soundtracks whenever I see a Tesseract. :)

..the 11s remind me of 2001 a Space Odyssey

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I wonder what ever happened to these speakers? Has anyone ever heard them?

south

Nov 4, 2011
I wonder what ever happened to these speakers? Has anyone ever heard them?
Hi
On Avalon's website there is a sort of review published in a Taiwan hi fi mag. They seem to have sold a few pairs, mostly in the Far East.

Reactions: sbo6

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing