Amir RMAF 2015 Picture Thread: Part 3

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just when you thought you had seen all that was at RMAF and here I am with part 3 :D.

The last day was a relaxing one as I did not have as much to see. Still some 170 pictures to go through.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Love the look of this volume (?) control:

Fascinating story behind these drivers:

They bombard the cone with carbon particles at near speed of light at a particle accelerator. The impact smashes them so hard that they become industrial diamonds. I asked them how they managed to get time in a particle accelerator and they said the accelerator is funded by the Finnish government and this type of research is encouraged. And the lab people liked what they were doing.

This rare magnet structure was quite heavy and the construction using separate magnets in those orientation allowed better cooling, and more efficient magnetic field. The voice coil is made out of titanium (?) which almost eliminated the hysteresis that would naturally exist in the presence of magnetic field. He showed me the standard copper wire and how it fell in like it was falling in water. Whereas the one they used would free fall almost instantly. Furthermore they had a far larger gap between the voice coil and magnet structure. All, really cool stuff. Well done.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
NAD/PSB:

Very detailed and high resolution sound but unfortunately pretty bright too.

They initially had this unit tilted like this:

I explained to them that would cause an imbalance in the electron flow and cause the soundstage to suffer. They took my advice and corrected that:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Joseph Audio: by far some of the best audio at the show. Not saying this specifically to the equipment but the total package of room, system, and superb music. THis is how you do a show right!

This is a playlist worth mining. If anyone recognizes tracks they consider reference quality, please post!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Particle accelerator? Where is it located, at their home? Or in their dreams.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Synergistic Research. Boy this was by far the "best" demo efforts of any company at the show. Everything an objectivist thinks should make no audible difference, was shown in AB comparisons to do so!

I asked them for a full run-through and they did, showing me everything they had for some 45 minutes:

And this was the master of ceremonies:

No, this is not a fly on the ceiling:

They are little stickies he had put around the room and around the speaker box. You can barely see them here:

Everything he said came true. He removed them and the sonic degradation was unmistakable.

Not shown but he also demoed the cable with the battery or whatever and it too made a difference before and after. So did the little box. Took one out and bass became boomy. Took both of them and the boominess went off the scale. He unplugged the shelves (?) from power or whatever was hooked up to it and it too made a big differences. So did the original atmosphere.

Everyone in the audience was mesmerized with more than one person volunteering to say they had some of these and difference was unbelievable.

I asked how hard these things were to implement. I mean how do you know where to put all those little dots or the bass unit. Answer? It was not that important where you put them but if you call them, they will walk you through it.

What's that? You can't believe it is me that is writing these words? Well, read on. Every demo was playing a track. Pausing music, changing the setup, and playing again. At no time was the music was allowed to play while the change was being made. I failed to get him to do an AB test on the fly and tried again this year to no avail. "If I don't pause the music, at first you won't notice anything. It takes a while before you hear the effect." Yet the effects we heard were not subtle whatsoever. No idea how they could be inaudible in a quick switchover.

All control was done by an iPad that the presenter pressed against his chest like a treasure map he did not want us to see. All control was done in a dark room, using set iPad with him standing way back behind all of us.

This man has either found a way to AB demo things at a show no one else dares to do, or, playing some tricks with us on what is played in each iteration. That boomy bass sure sounded like he had turned up the sub level. And in other demos, the levels sounded different before and after. Would have been easy to rule such things out if he didn't go hiding in the back in each switchover.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We appreciate the sarcasm.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

I was confused about what was being shown here. Bruce, what was your part?

No, in a million years you won't get me to put on a "community" headphone on in a show. :)

Oh, no, you see me in the mirror! :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

This guy was literally sitting there putting together a kit!

I don't know about this. If you are going to use vintage gear, something about seeing a modern PCB in there rubs me wrong, even if it does make it sound better as they guy said:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Was fun talking to these Torus guys about their units. 5 volt voltage regulation and pretty clean build:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Ran into my good friend, Mark from AIX records:

He has a kickstarter program to fund a book he is writing on high-fidelity audio. You get some of his music as part of the bargain with the average price coming to $20. Seems like a good cause.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing