adding the Lampizator SE GG to the Trinity dac

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
there are several DHT preamps as well, Bonzo. in fact, Srajan Ebaen has extolled the virtues of DHT preamps extensively with First Watt amps.

Bill- most who post on these threads seem to have SS, go figure. I certainly don't know about the european market. clearly, there are SET amp guys who own both Lampi amps and dac.

Do they use 101ds and in the same way that Bonzo like them for speed?

Also its likely these DHT preamps cost MORE than a GG, so you get Dac and preamp for far less than an Allnic DHT preamp costing $30K.

Finally I see Amare with a EML 30A DHT preamp, driven by EF86 and EL84 tubes. This is a Flea DHT and cant be compared to the DHTs commonly used in the Lampi. Also the sound of the DHT is masked by the Driver tubes...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Do they use 101ds and in the same way that Bonzo like them for speed?

Also its likely these DHT preamps cost MORE than a GG, so you get Dac and preamp for far less than an Allnic DHT preamp costing $30K.

Finally I see Amare with a EML 30A DHT preamp, driven by EF86 and EL84 tubes. This is a Flea DHT and cant be compared to the DHTs commonly used in the Lampi. Also the sound of the DHT is masked by the Driver
tubes...

have you heard the others or are you speculating?

Manley has made a DHT preamp for 15 years- like 7k.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Speculating about what actually?

Read my post again.

Have you heard the "speed" of the 101d in the GG that Bonzo likes or are you speculating? Yes, I used to hear the Manleys all the time at my local dealer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi this is going nowhere. Can we have a separate thread dedicated to DHT pre amps? I kind of like the idea of demoing some. I don't see any reason to present it as an alternative to lampi for us SS owners though

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
you are talking about 101D speed without saying if you've heard a DHT preamp and speculating the Lampi is "faster" than other alternatives.

I've heard the Melody 2688 preamp, which uses 101Ds, extensively. I have not heard a Lampi in a familiar system. If DHT is an elite methodology, I would prefer to have it for all sources, right?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah that's why I said I am interested in demoing seriously

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yeah that's why I said I am interested in demoing seriously

Don't forget the Lampi also can come with volume control with LINE in - therefore it is actually a DHT preamp for a line source.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
KeithR - please see my comment above - if you buy a Lampi with volume control, it also comes with a line input. Therefore your turntable or other source would be going through the Lampi and used as a DHT preamp. Therefore, you are getting a reference DAC and DHT preamp with 1 line input.

http://www.lampizator.eu/Fikus/VOLUME_CONTROL.html

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
you are talking about 101D speed without saying if you've heard a DHT preamp and speculating the Lampi is "faster" than other alternatives.

I've heard the Melody 2688 preamp, which uses 101Ds, extensively. I have not heard a Lampi in a familiar system. If DHT is an elite methodology, I would prefer to have it for all sources, right?

I never said that. Read my post again and look out for ...?????

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
KeithR - please see my comment above - if you buy a Lampi with volume control, it also comes with a line input. Therefore your turntable or other source would be going through the Lampi and used as a DHT preamp. Therefore, you are getting a reference DAC and DHT preamp with 1 line input.

That is the point. Keith knows not a lot about the lampi and likely never heard one. He does not understand the PREAMP portion of it and the way the DHT are implemented (no driver tubes).

I think an equal number of owners use SS as tube amps. My pal who jusy bought one is tubed and my other Pal with the Lansche Horns uses KR Tube amps. Quite a few people run Lampi tube amps with the Dac too, whether the GM70 or the 211 Bal amps.

Keith is not talking from a position of knowledge.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

A volume control isn't an active preamplifier. Big difference.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That is the point. Keith knows not a lot about the lampi and likely never heard one. He does not understand the PREAMP portion of it and the way the DHT are implemented (no driver tubes).

Actually, I'm going to take the high road and bow out.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Intelligence or EXPERIENCE with a particular product? What do you know about the particulars of the Lampi DHT design and how they sound?

Come on now Keith, you keep putting up red herrings. You misinterpret what I say repeatedly, but no worries, lets agree to drop it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, another WBF dust up.
Keith, it's not mandatory for tubed dac users to go tubes elsewhere, just like it also isn't to run tube amps and insist on a tubed dac.
I love my Nat Audio SETs and will NEVER move back to SS, but haven't found a tubed digital product I didn't think was flawed.
Maybe the GG will change my mind.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hmm, another WBF dust up.
Keith, it's not mandatory for tubed dac users to go tubes elsewhere, just like it also isn't to run tube amps and insist on a tubed dac.
I love my Nat Audio SETs and will NEVER move back to SS, but haven't found a tubed digital product I didn't think was flawed.
Maybe the GG will change my mind.

I never said they were, Spirit. I simply inquired why a DHT preamp wouldn't be a potentially better solution for people who have multiple sources and that I found it interesting most Lampi users had SS systems on this forum.

btw, thank you Bonzo for wanting to discuss a DHT preamp. I responded to this in Mike's thread because he has a superlative DarTZeel preamp, but still enjoys the tubed dac in his system. I was curious his thoughts on the subject.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I never said they were, Spirit. I simply inquired why a DHT preamp wouldn't be a potentially better solution for people who have multiple sources and that I found it interesting most Lampi users had SS systems on this forum.

btw, thank you Bonzo for wanting to discuss a DHT preamp. I responded to this in Mike's thread because he has a superlative DarTZeel preamp, but still enjoys the tubed dac in his system. I was curious his thoughts on the subject.

I think the thing was instead of saying "Have you guys considered DHT preamps as well in your systems", your opening message jumped in as "Why don't you guys use valve preamps as an alternative to the Lampi, since most of you own SS" - that had a lot of implicit incorrect assumptions which rattled the readers.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Exactly. Most Lampi owners I know have TUBE amplification…I am sure I know more than Keith, so not sure why he is so insistent.

The other flawed assumption which you have addressed Bonzo is that Lampi owners only have the Dac because it is tubed, as oppesed to liking the SOUND of the Dac which just HAPPENS to be tubed. Clearly the Lapi implementation is pretty different to other tube designers and Keith's assertion is akin to saying a Kondo owner should rather trade it in for say an Absolare tube amp (as if they are designed the same).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing