Introducing the New HiFi Miser Forum-As discussed by Andre Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Is it the norm for reviewers to publish a review without giving the manufacturer a preview? I would rather have no review than a bad or mediocre one.

A draft is usually sent to the manufacturer to fact check. But they are not allowed to make and editorial changes. Strictly checking that the technical
facts and prices are correct. It is published regardless of whether they like it or not.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Maybe my old school high current reserves with lots of capacitance thinking is not in the norm for today's amps. I will be using these on the bass sections of the VR5 in place of the A21.

You can't beat the performance of an SMPS in this area. The same level of capacitance isn't required, because of the speed the voltage is converted to DC. The raw current delivery simply cannot be matched by a linear supply. SMPS's also filter noise from the mains much better. The main complaint with SMPS's is the noise caused by the switching. But if used with amps with a very high PSSR and CMRR, (like the hypex amps) this becomes a non-issue.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Go check out how Rogue Audio incorporates the Ncore modules into their amps. Very interesting.

Yes there's many ways to skin a cat, but when you look at the top systems that use the Ncore modules (Mola Mola, Bel Canto etc) you will notice they use the SMPS's. If coloration is desired, there's other ways to achieve this. Such as DSP algorithms designed to emulate different coloration profiles of tubes etc. Yes I know not what the "old school" crowd what's to hear, but reality when it comes to next gen tech. I've converted the stubbornest of the old school over at my place.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
My local dealer is trying to sell me a pair of BelCanto REF600M. Might buy them for a sounding board.

Very good amps. But if you want a cost no object design (yet still less cost than the Bel Canto Ref600M) let me know.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
The hyenas have turned into vultures and are now picking at the bones.
What a disgusting performance.. makes me question the relevance of this board.. and its co founder and moderators contributions which in my eyes are detractions rather than anything useful
blizzard.. take your pie in the sky DIY build that will never happen somewhere else..out of this thread

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The hyenas have turned into vultures and are now picking at the bones.
What a disgusting performance.. makes me question the relevance of this board.. and its co founder and moderators contributions which in my eyes are detractions rather than anything useful

What would inspire such comments? Are you worried about resale value on your current system?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I mentioned you too.. there fido , go fetch and play that ball..

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I mentioned you too.. there fido , go fetch and play that ball..

Come on Rodney, if you can afford a system as expensive as yours, you can surely afford to take a 60-70% hit selling it to an informed audiophile on the used market.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Well Guys sounds like Steve is banning me from this forum for sharing my ideas that are intended on helping you save money, and enjoy better sound. I guessing it must be because it may affect the bottom line of the mainstream over priced commercial products on the market. So if anyone still want's to stay in contact, I'll suggest the DIYaudio forum. Much more open minded crowd over then.

See ya later!

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Well Guys sounds like Steve is banning me from this forum for sharing my ideas that are intended on helping you save money, and enjoy better sound. I guessing it must be because it may affect the bottom line of the mainstream over priced commercial products on the market. So if anyone still want's to stay in contact, I'll suggest the DIYaudio forum. Much more open minded crowd over then.

See ya later!

this is the HiFi miser forum, it's not the place to discuss money-saving ideas :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
this is the HiFi miser forum, it's not the place to discuss money-saving ideas :)

Well one of the reasons I joined this forum was because I read this:

Welcome to What's Best Forum! Please consider joining our friendly and helpful community of enthusiasts where we discuss the best in audio and video to everything else we love from food to movies and music. We are proud of the professional conduct of our membership and strict moderation of the same, combined with high level of technical content shared by our members. If you want to learn and have fun doing it, or share what you know about our favorite hobbies without fear of antagonism, WBF forum is for you.

But this has proven to be a sham. Might as well change the name to "Computer Audiophile 2"

Anyways this was my last post.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is it the norm for reviewers to publish a review without giving the manufacturer a preview? I would rather have no review than a bad or mediocre one.
Depends on the publication. In computer world it was rare to see a review before it got published.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This forum is about the enjoyment of music and the equipment that enables us to do so. It would seem to me, having been a member here for awhile, that it is far too easy to take some member's posts to heart! That is not only not healthy, IMHO, but also not productive. I have been guilty of this as much as the next person. As they say, sometimes a flame suit is appropriate...although I fail to see why that has to be the case here. Tonight, I listened to a lot of jazz...from John Coltrane to Wynton Kelly to Miles Davis to Red Garland and others...much more therapeutic than posting vitriol against other members or ideas that have been posted here.....would you guys agree?
So, let's all take a deep breath and see if we can enjoy the forum what it is supposedly meant to be.... ( I believe )...a place to share our knowledge and impressions of the music and gear that we enjoy..perhaps we should NOT make it more than that.:cool:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am with you Dave. And have been for the last couple of months. My interest is by far music and discover/learning of the same first, and any discussion of gear second. After some 15 years, I am on a new direction and mission. Would love to see our forum move in that direction given the fact that people can't just discuss audio hardware without getting too emotionally engaged.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
If you insist on deconstructing and damning products based on your *engineering* and not how they sound.. your contribution is worthless and often divisive
IMHO *YOU* are the one that starts making things turbulent here .. it may be time for some introspection on your part.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
If you insist on deconstructing and damning products based on your *engineering* and not how they sound.. your contribution is worthless and often divisive
IMHO *YOU* are the one that starts making things turbulent here .. it may be time for some introspection on your part.

Rodney, I think you also need to read my post # 197. :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

See ya later!

Do you know how long will they keep you on DIYaudio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing