Welcome to the HIFi Miser Forum!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
iFi iUSB 3.0 ($499) and Gemini dual head USB cable ($189)

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-a...-micro-iusb-3.0-gemini-usb-cable-reviews.html

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am not a true blue dyed in the wool TV or home theater person, but I wanted better sound for my supersized :p 42" television in the TV room. I had four Fostex PM-2 powered studio monitors and thought it would be nice to have an entry level pre-amp/processor. About a year ago, on the recommendation of a forum member, I purchased the Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 pre-pros. I only use two of my Fostex speakers in that system. At $500 the UMC-200 sounds wonderful, was an absolute bargain and has been working flawlessly. It is the smaller sibling of the Emotiva XMC-1 7.2 pre-pros that costs four times as much.

Gail liked the improvement so much, that we wanted a second one for the bedroom, but when I went to order it, I was told it was discontinued and that a new similar model in the same price range would be available the beginning of 2016. I can wait a couple of months and will use my second pair of Fostex PM-2 powered speakers in the bedroom.

Now that the sound has been so improved, the whole domino effect has befallen me. The BIG :p 42 incher in the TV room will be replaced by a 65" and the television in the bedroom will be replaced by a 50"or 55". Gail says she can't see the smaller set in the bedroom well, but I know it's just a lie to get a bigger screen! ;) She deserves a new TV so I'll keep her happy!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I am not a true blue dyed in the wool TV or home theater person, but I wanted better sound for my supersized :p 42" television in the TV room. I had four Fostex PM-2 powered studio monitors and thought it would be nice to have an entry level pre-amp/processor. About a year ago, on the recommendation of a forum member, I purchased the Emotiva UMC-200 7.1 pre-pros. I only use two of my Fostex speakers in that system. At $500 the UMC-200 sounds wonderful, was an absolute bargain and has been working flawlessly. It is the smaller sibling of the Emotiva XMC-1 7.2 pre-pros that costs four times as much.

Gail liked the improvement so much, that we wanted a second one for the bedroom, but when I went to order it, I was told it was discontinued and that a new similar model in the same price range would be available the beginning of 2016. I can wait a couple of months and will use my second pair of Fostex PM-2 powered speakers in the bedroom.

Now that the sound has been so improved, the whole domino effect has befallen me. The BIG :p 42 incher in the TV room will be replaced by a 65" and the television in the bedroom will be replaced by a 50"or 55". Gail says she can't see the smaller set in the bedroom well, but I know it's just a lie to get a bigger screen! ;) She deserves a new TV so I'll keep her happy!

I also went thru the whole domino effect after moving....55 inch TV went into bedroom..what a luxury!!!

I have heard the Emotiva HT products are amazing bargains. The only thing that sorta bugs me is they discontinue products very often, but I guess that means you get amazing clearance deals.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That USB cable is fantastic. We use it in the store, and we could only better it with a $3500 Kubala Sosna cable...

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks a bunch Andre. I must say though it was quite a trip going from super clear 3-D renderings to images that must have been taken by a phone that had been through too many wash cycles in someone's pants. :D

Def. not for those who adhere to the "low mass" cable principle. It is a heavy cable indeed.

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
For under $1,250.00 I nominate the Schiit Gungnir Multibit aka The Gumby. This is one great sounding DAC. The BiFrost is available now too as a multibit for $599.00. I have yet to hear one though.

I own the Schiit Multibit BiFrost and after a 2 day break in, this DAC sounds very, very good.

Could not be more pleased.

For $600 it is a steal IMO!

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
The ELAC Discovery Z3 is a great little wireless speaker that is compatible with Roon. Price: $499

https://www.elac.com/series/discovery-z3/

The speaker was designed by Andrew Jones, a well regarded speaker designer. Subscribe to Tidal, run Roon on your existing computer, and you’ll have access to an amazing amount of music.

I love the Z3 so much that I bought two of them, one for the kitchen and one for my bedroom. I can set up multi-room playback with the stereo in the living room, or, my wife can stream her own music in the kitchen while I’m listening in the living room or bedroom.

Life is good.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am embarrassed to report that I did not know we had this sub-forum! :confused:

But I am glad we do!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing