Geneis Digital Lens Remote Issues

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I have a Genesis Digital Lens and I am having no success getting the unit to work with another remote (learning remote) that was suggested as a good remote to adapt to the unit. Does anyone know if the GDL uses a code adopted by another manufacture? The GE remote claims to be able to "learn" from a possible 300 codes but so far it's a no go.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Carolyn, Thanks. I gave you a call re: the codes but like you I'm not exactly sure how to load these numbers (Decimal and Hexidecimal) in to the universal remote. If anyone wants to chime in and offer assistance I'm all for it. ;) I came across a post forwarding me to remotecentral.com and a zip.ccf file that I can't open on my mac. I'm not even sure it would help but I think it has the manuf. codes used by the Philips Pronto TSU2000 remote. I tried getting the codes via the manual but the codes are already preprogramed into the remote itself and not listed.
So, if anyone is using a Philips Pronto TSU2000 maybe you could see if there is a code for the Genesis Digital Lens. Or maybe I'll just put in a new post. ;)

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I thought I'd put in an update for FWIW. McGowan suggested a specific GE learning remote model. I have not been able to get it to learn a command. So, using the codes sent by Carolyn got me thinking. The GE remote requires a 4 digit code and the codes from the Genesis were two digits. So I looked at all the codes offered by the GE remote and saw many were "07xx" and "08xx". So I tried "0823", the "23" being listed as a system master code on the .pdf from Carolyn. It actually worked. But while it now will turn on/off and learned only one other command it won't learn the "dither" commands.
So, doing a bit more searching put me onto a Logitech remote. Their web site has a search feature to see if a specific unit is supported. The GDL is supported, so it says. So, I sprang for one and will find out soon. I'll post again with my results. If anything it may help someone in the future. I realize it's old technology but since most my efforts ($) go in to my analog set up I don't mind listening to older digital gear if it sounds good. Plus it has some sentimentality on its side.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sorry, didn't I mention it? We've loaded the codes up to the Logitech database. You can buy a Logitech remote and download the codes for Subs, Digital Lens and Stealth Amp. Search for Manufacturer "Genesis" and product "Amplifier" - there's only one set of codes. :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sorry, didn't I mention it? We've loaded the codes up to the Logitech database. You can buy a Logitech remote and download the codes for Subs, Digital Lens and Stealth Amp. Search for Manufacturer "Genesis" and product "Amplifier" - there's only one set of codes. :)

The codes for the Digital Lens and Stealth Amp were uploaded, but as far as I know have never been tested. No has anyone mentioned to me that they have tried it.

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Well, I went ahead a picked up a Logitech Harmony 650 remote. I was initially skeptical since there was only one device listed for Genesis, though I was under the impression there were more. It had all the necessary remote commands for the GDL except the display on/off. Adding a command is easy but getting it to work is another. It learned the display on/off command but it wouldn't work on the GDL. It tried many times but gave up. The next day I tried again and got it working. I really can't say why or what I did different.
I also decide to load all my other audio gear into the remote and now, happily, use one remote for all my audio listening. I decided to keep it form myself and had to get another one for the TV, Cable, DVD, etc. A great little remote!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the feedback, Grooves. Others might have given up the first day, which is why we never got any feedback until now. Unfortunately, we didn't have a Digital Lens to try it out on so couldn't provide any more comprehensive instructions.

Does the GDL still benefit modern DACs and transports? Is that why you are using it?

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hi Gary,

Originally, the Digital Lens was my late brother's unit, as was the CAL DAC and Transport that I use. Since my Philips SACD player had croaked very early in life I decided to try out my brother's gear. In my main system, the Digital Lens had a very positive impact on playback, (yet in my other all tube system, the CAL+DL sounds worse). Since my main focus is vinyl I haven't made a big effort to upgrade my digital gear. That may change soon as I think my analog upgrades are nearly complete, (at least for now!). I realize my digital gear is dated but I have it sounding very musical at the moment and so I am content. Though I will say I don't actively sit down and listen to my CD's vs. my LP's. If and when I get the time it's for vinyl! BTW, I just picked up a couple of Al Grey LP's. ;)
I am contemplating a move to some sort of server arrangement for my CD's. But I haven't really seen an affordable unit that fits my needs/wants, so I may opt for a Mac Mini arrangement but I'm not happy with the prospect of having to use USB connections, (I'm not a fan). Boy, if I could find something (affordable) that ripped CD's to an expandable int. HDD or SSD and had an internal DAC with network ability........

Garikkk

Oct 25, 2018
Hi,
I cannot configure the Logitech Harmony remote
(instead of the original metal remout that was lost).
What I need to specify as a Model Number?

Manufacturer- Genesis
Model Number - ??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing