bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No, I meant orchestral, rock, jazz?

A mix of everything. Lower jitter and noise has a positive effect on all genres of music.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I'm curious about it myself.
Aurender always win in ease of use, though. If that's important to you...
Generally, compared to other solutions, I've found the Aurenders to have the cleanest, smoothest sound of all, maybe because of all the linear, filtered supplies they employ.
I've heard streamers that do more detail, sharper transients, etc. But overall, the Aurenders always win in naturalness.

Have you ever compared the Aurender to the Antipodes DX? I really like that the Antipodes DX offers 1TB, 2TB or 4TB SSD internal storage. But I still prefer a computer that gives me the flexibility to use any music software I want. Right now I'm looking at JRiver due to its DSP capabillity.

Ken

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Have you ever compared the Aurender to the Antipodes DX? I really like that the Antipodes DX offers 1TB, 2TB or 4TB SSD internal storage. But I still prefer a computer that gives me the flexibility to use any music software I want. Right now I'm looking at JRiver due to its DSP capabillity.

Ken

Nope. I had my sights on the Antipodes, but we never got around to auditioning it. What I like about it is that you can avoid UPNP altogether with it, as it'll read off your NAS using regular network protocols. But your choice of control app would be limited, as it uses the old Squeezebox standard, not UPNP. BTW, the Aurenders and the Auralic Aries can also read from a NAS using Samba/NFS protocols, and not only UPNP, a major plus!

Aurender also offers different internal storage options, and because the way they work, you don't need a lot of SSD space. It reads the data (off HD or network...) and puts it into a temporary SSD storage (120/240Gb), then plays off of that. So, in practice, it's like you're always playing off SSD, without having to store everything on the SSD.

But yeah, if you're talking DSP, you'll definitely better off with a proper computer... :)

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Asiufy, same Lampi overspecified linear power is applied to the Server, with each subsection being independently powered and option for going full 12v battery power with the flip of a switch. Additionally in Windows you can dive into CORE mode while still retaining wifi hotspot and JRemote type of control.

I agree that the Aurenders/Antipodes are easier to use, but they lack the flexibility of using any 3rd party playback engine like BE or to upsample on the fly to high rate pcm/dsd like HQP and JRiver/Foobar.

Depending on needs, either the dedicated streamer or the Computer server approach can provide ideal solutions with really no significant SQ compromise.

Hi Norman,

I totally agree with and endorse your line of thought. I guess the big question is, can the Lampi Komputer provide similar sound quality to an Aurender N10? If it can then I'm in!

Ken

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Norman,

I totally agree with and endorse your line of thought. I guess the big question is, can the Lampi Komputer provide similar sound quality to an Aurender N10? If it can then I'm in!

Ken

I would be shocked if it couldnt better the all in one solution on SQ (not on ultimate ease of use though). The idea of using BE and going full battery is all about ultimate SQ while still having fairly easy to use interfaces. This is what Komputer and Sound Galleries and such builds bring to the table…certain ease of use, whil still having full flexibility to use latest hardware and best in class software (with DSP and upsampling capabilities). The "Burger King" approach…your way, right away.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I would be shocked if it couldnt better the all in one solution on SQ (not on ultimate ease of use though). The idea of using BE and going full battery is all about ultimate SQ while still having fairly easy to use interfaces. This is what Komputer and Sound Galleries and such builds bring to the table…certain ease of use, whil still having full flexibility to use latest hardware and best in class software (with DSP and upsampling capabilities). The "Burger King" approach…your way, right away.

I'd be fine with Lukasz's excellent linear power supply. I'm not a big fan of using batteries. The option of all solid state discs, the ability to play DSD 256, any music software you want, do DSP correction with JRiver, easily listen to any streaming music service or internet radio station, make the Lampi Komputer a winner in my book! I just need to hear one...

Ken

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I asked this question w.r.t. Caps vs N100. I got more replies in favor of caps, though number of people who Hagee compared the two is very low. Anyway, I am now building a caps. Will them compare it to lukasz to see if I can satisfy myself that there is no further need to upgrade :p

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I asked this question w.r.t. Caps vs N100. I got more replies in favor of caps, though number of people who Hagee compared the two is very low. Anyway, I am now building a caps. Will them compare it to lukasz to see if I can satisfy myself that there is no further need to upgrade :p

If you are building Caps yourself at a lower cost, Caps vs. N100H is an appropriate comparison. For Lampi Komputer + Options, the appropriate comparison would be N10 from a price perspective. Best of luck building your Caps server!

Ken

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I'd be fine with Lukasz's excellent linear power supply. I'm not a big fan of using batteries. The option of all solid state discs, the ability to play DSD 256, any music software you want, do DSP correction with JRiver, easily listen to any streaming music service or internet radio station, make the Lampi Komputer a winner in my book! I just need to hear one...

Ken

Believe me Ken, the Lampizator server is very good indeed (hope to get mine back this week with a battery option). My Tidal LA's let me hear everything what is happening in the chain and the difference with the laptop I was using before is huge. The combination of this server and the GG with dsd replay is mighty impressive.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Believe me Ken, the Lampizator server is very good indeed (hope to get mine back this week with a battery option). My Tidal LA's let me hear everything what is happening in the chain and the difference with the laptop I was using before is huge. The combination of this server and the GG with dsd replay is mighty impressive.

+1.

listening to Quad dsd solo grand piano right now with the GG thru essentially a Lampizator Komputer 'clone' + LPS and it's magnificent. don't have the battery option but my 2 LPS's likely help and they get their power from the 10WQ Equi=tech isolation transformer Wall Panel unit.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Thanks Audiocrack and Mike for your feedback! The deeper I dig, the more attractive the Lampi Komputer is becoming. I currently run a stock Mac Mini but I'm looking to get more performance and still retain flexibility. I just took delivery on an Esoteric K-01X yesterday and I'm really enjoying it in my system. I'd love to hear DSD 256 through the Lampi GG, it must be amazing. At some point in the future, I'm hoping to add a Lampi GG to my all solid-state system as an alternative to vinyl.

Best,
Ken

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I would encourage potential users to also audition an Antipodes. A number of us in Australia have built what we understand to be clones of the Dx (same mobo, SOtM PCI card and ram, different LPS); cost to me was around A$3k including a 1 TB SSD and decent LPS. It could easily have been more. The interface is fairly basic, but I personally don't care for all the bells and whistles - I just pick something I want to play and play it. iPeng is perfect for that. Browsing by folder structure also avoids having to worry about tags (which with classical is an (ongoing) issue). The combination of Vortexbox and the hardware parts Antipodes has selected is terrific. I am very happy with the sound - certainly quite vinyl like in its presentation particularly with DSD and the (over performing) Schiit Loki. I can only imagine how nice it will sound with a (very good) DSD dac like a Lampi.

A friend compared the Antipodes to the Aurender W20 and preferred the Antipodes, by some margin. He owned both. I did not hear them compared but trust his ears. He has a very resolving (and expensive) vinyl system.

I don't think anyone is ever getting ripped off by buying a commercial music server. One shouldn't under estimate the time it takes to put it all together and make it work. And DIY efforts have little, if any, resale value, should you wish to move on. This should also factor into the equation. I would also consider the support you get with a commercial product. If you DIY you are on your own. The support from Mark Jenkins at Antipodes is legendary. I am sure the Lampi is the same. I know Naim is also very good.

I would however caution against chasing "the best" as in "the theoretical best". I noted a number of posts in another thread I posted in by a member called "Blizzard" which appear based less in actual experience and more in perceived knowledge set, which although may be technically correct (I cannot say) may not be for the less tech savvy among us. Or put another way - may induce computer based anxiety rather than musical bliss.

Sometimes when you are happy with a sound (as I am with the Antipodes clone I have) it is nice to stop and be happy with that solution, rather than looking for more.

Last edited:

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thanks Audiocrack and Mike for your feedback! The deeper I dig, the more attractive the Lampi Komputer is becoming. I currently run a stock Mac Mini but I'm looking to get more performance and still retain flexibility. I just took delivery on an Esoteric K-01X yesterday and I'm really enjoying it in my system. I'd love to hear DSD 256 through the Lampi GG, it must be amazing. At some point in the future, I'm hoping to add a Lampi GG to my all solid-state system as an alternative to vinyl.

Best,
Ken

If you wanted to mod your mac Mini I can confidently recommend the MMK kit from Uptone Audio, the Qualia 271 LPS from Portugal and a couple SSD's in a dual mount kit. Of course working inside a Mac Mini is a giant PITA. It is small, annoyingly fiddly to take apart and has delicate connectors that are proprietary (ie you have to be careful with them). Overall it is not an experience I rush to replicate.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I would encourage potential users to also audition an Antipodes. A number of us in Australia have built what we understand to be clones of the Dx (same mobo, SOtM PCI card and ram, different LPS); cost to me was around A$3k including a 1 TB SSD and decent LPS. It could easily have been more. The interface is fairly basic, but I personally don't care for all the bells and whistles - I just pick something I want to play and play it. iPeng is perfect for that. Browsing by folder structure also avoids having to worry about tags (which with classical is an (ongoing) issue). The combination of Vortexbox and the hardware parts Antipodes has selected is terrific. I am very happy with the sound - certainly quite vinyl like in its presentation particularly with DSD and the (over performing) Schiit Loki. I can only imagine how nice it will sound with a (very good) DSD dac like a Lampi.

A friend compared the Antipodes to the Aurender W20 and preferred the Antipodes, by some margin. He owned both. I did not hear them compared but trust his ears. He has a very resolving (and expensive) vinyl system.

I don't think anyone is ever getting ripped off by buying a commercial music server. One shouldn't under estimate the time it takes to put it all together and make it work. And DIY efforts have little, if any, resale value, should you wish to move on. This should also factor into the equation. I would also consider the support you get with a commercial product. If you DIY you are on your own. The support from Mark Jenkins at Antipodes is legendary. I am sure the Lampi is the same. I know Naim is also very good.

I would however caution against chasing "the best" as in "the theoretical best". I noted a number of posts in another thread I posted in by a member called "Blizzard" which appear based less in actual experience and more in perceived knowledge set, which although may be technically correct (I cannot say) may not be for the less tech savvy among us. Or put another way - may induce computer based anxiety rather than musical bliss.

Sometimes when you are happy with a sound (as I am with the Antipodes clone I have) it is nice to stop and be happy with that solution, rather than looking for more.

Or else you can buy an SD card transport that will blow away any computer or dedicated renderer on the market for $495. And I wouldn't just assume this is based on no real world experience. I have built several "purpose built for audio" computers over the years.

I put more weight on opinions that come from people who have tried both. And even more weight on what I've personally experienced.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Last edited:

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post! I read the Stereophile review on the Antipodes DX and it sounds pretty impressive for a music server. I like the fact that you have an option to have entirely solid state memory in the unit. I do not want spinning discs for a hard drive and it surprises me that Aurender still uses them in all their units. It's icing on the cake if someone is saying they prefer the Antipodes DX to the Aurender W20. If I go the music server route, the Antipodes DX would most likely be my first choice.

For computers, the possible options I'm interested in are the Lampizator Komputer, Core Audio Technology modified Mac Mini and the Uptone modified Mac Mini. With the positive feedback from Mike on his Caps computer (essentially the same as the Lampi Komputer), the Lampi is definitely right at the top of my wish list. I corresponded with Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata Research and he said he's very happy with his Core Audio Technology modified Mac Mini. I have another friend who is currently in the process of getting the Uptone modified Mac Mini so we'll have to see how he likes it.

It's nice to have choices!

Best,
Ken

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your post! I read the Stereophile review on the Antipodes DX and it sounds pretty impressive for a music server. I like the fact that you have an option to have entirely solid state memory in the unit. I do not want spinning discs for a hard drive and it surprises me that Aurender still uses them in all their units. It's icing on the cake if someone is saying they prefer the Antipodes DX to the Aurender W20. If I go the music server route, the Antipodes DX would most likely be my first choice.

For computers, the possible options I'm interested in are the Lampizator Komputer, Core Audio Technology modified Mac Mini and the Uptone modified Mac Mini. With the positive feedback from Mike on his Caps computer (essentially the same as the Lampi Komputer), the Lampi is definitely right at the top of my wish list. I corresponded with Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata Research and he said he's very happy with his Core Audio Technology modified Mac Mini. I have another friend who is currently in the process of getting the Uptone modified Mac Mini so we'll have to see how he likes it.

It's nice to have choices!

Best,
Ken

My pleasure.

Ahhh - you have your bases well covered. I am sure you will find something suitable.

BTW they are all computers - the Antipodes is an Atohm 2800 board running Vortexbox (a type of Arch Linux) - it's the epitome of a low draw small resource linux box, as opposed to the other end of the spectrum, the Komputer & Caps, which tend to the higher power, higher draw Windows based servers with more processing power & more heat. Depends what you are trying to do with it I suppose, and what you want to achieve. You really can't go too far wrong with a modded Mac Mini either, although I'd be getting someone else to mod it. Fiddly little boxes.

Or if you feel adventurous and can speak Japanese, and don't mind loading SD cards, there is Blizzard's suggestion above. Certainly appears wonderfully inexpensive.

I like SSD's in my computers. I personally think servers/computers with the music stored on a SSD sound better. But that may just be my ears.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
My pleasure.

Ahhh - you have your bases well covered. I am sure you will find something suitable.

BTW they are all computers - the Antipodes is an Atohm 2800 board running Vortexbox (a type of Arch Linux) - it's the epitome of a low draw small resource linux box, as opposed to the other end of the spectrum, the Komputer & Caps, which tend to the higher power, higher draw Windows based servers with more processing power & more heat. Depends what you are trying to do with it I suppose, and what you want to achieve. You really can't go too far wrong with a modded Mac Mini either, although I'd be getting someone else to mod it. Fiddly little boxes.

Or if you feel adventurous and can speak Japanese, and don't mind loading SD cards, there is Blizzard's suggestion above. Certainly appears wonderfully inexpensive.

I like SSD's in my computers. I personally think servers/computers with the music stored on a SSD sound better. But that may just be my ears.

Yes and google translate works great if you can't read Japanese.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
My pleasure.

I personally think servers/computers with the music stored on a SSD sound better. But that may just be my ears.
Me too,this is one of reasons why I bought Aurender W20

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing