Lampizator Komputer vs. Aurender N10

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm with you as that makes the most sense to me. Once you go ethernet you never go back.

We could think that when using ethernet the quality of the router would be a valid subject for debate. I would expect people even to develop custom routers for audio or tweak routers, however I do not see products in this zone.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
We could think that when using ethernet the quality of the router would be a valid subject for debate. I would expect people even to develop custom routers for audio or tweak routers, however I do not see products in this zone.

The guys over at computer audiophile are advocating fiber optic instead of copper for the network.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
For what it is worth, I was streaming from a windows 10 PC with a regular power supply and normal fans. I replaced that with a fan-less PC with an upgraded power supply running Windows Server 2012R2. The resulting sound was significantly better - quieter, more detail, etc etc. The streamer matters.

I wasn't suggesting the streamer didn't matter. On the contrary the focal point was degraded sound quality using a Roon endpoint.

My observation about the options is all based on the location of the core server. If the endpoint works out well and there is little to no effect on the sound then you can add Roon to anything/anywhere without limitations. With a server in the audio room, noise generated from the components are costly to avoid so the aforementioned components become mandatory..

Naturally a dedicated purpose built unit will sound better, but what if you could move it the office and it still sound them same? Would you build it differently?

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Gotcha.

Anything I have built for audio purposes has been fanless and passively cool for reasons you are stating - flexibility in where I put the unit. It does become a little more of a challenge when you are trying to upconvert to DSD256 or DSD 512.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
uRendu is linux based and limited to dsd128 for upsampling purposes. Blizzard gave an even cheaper alternative to uRendo with a Nuc and audiolinux and fiber media converters. $400 in total but still limited by linux.

A windows type aydio pc can pass dsd512.

Do people want native playback or upsampling. That is the divider...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes and no. I upsample PCM to 384 but not to DSD. I upsample DSD to DSD128. My Big7 is only DSD256 so DSD512 is out or reach right now.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Of course it goes without saying that the Dac must be compatible.

Not sure linux can do pcm 384 either.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
That is not correct.

uRendu (and other Linux based renderers like SoTM) are not 'limited' and can do PCM384 and DSD512 and DoP128. It all depends on what USB card your DAC has. If it is an Amanero card (like Lampizator and T&A Dac 8 DSD), it won't play Native DSD but will be limited to DoP128 because Amanero has not updated it's firmware. XMOS based USB DACs will happily play DSD natively upto DSD512 using the uRendu. In short, the limitation is not Linux/uRendu but the firmware on the Amanero USB cards.

Hope that helps.

uRendu is linux based and limited to dsd128 for upsampling purposes. Blizzard gave an even cheaper alternative to uRendo with a Nuc and audiolinux and fiber media converters. $400 in total but still limited by linux.

A windows type aydio pc can pass dsd512.

Do people want native playback or upsampling. That is the divider...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wow...this must be new. Only in Jan I recall people at CompAudiophile saying that uRendu would need to the latest Linux kernel of Dec 2016 and it was not going to happen anytime soon. URendu was the limitation as they would take time to integrate the new Linux. U stand corrected if this has recently changed.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think Comedus76 has it right since a lot of people on Computer audiophile are upsampling to DD512 and they are using microRendus. I know Amanero's slowness in updating their firmware has been an issue discussed over there.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
The Linux kernel gets updated regularly for DACs that develop/update their firmware to enable native DSD playback via USB using "Altset 2" and uRendu incorporates the kernel updates when they do their update releases also. The issue is that Amanero hasn't updated their firmware free of glitches (apparently its stable upto DSD256 but not DSD512) for it to be safely added to the Linuz kernel update yet. When they get their firmware glitch free, the kernel update will be a test & release cycle away and then a uRendu update after that in short order but first Amanero has to get it right which they haven't done in more than a year now - it's discouraging that Lampi and T&A aren't pushing Amanero to fix this quickly. In the meantime, like you said, one could use a Windows renderer to send DSD512 to the Lampi and T&A DACs.

Wow...this must be new. Only in Jan I recall people at CompAudiophile saying that uRendu would need to the latest Linux kernel of Dec 2016 and it was not going to happen anytime soon. URendu was the limitation as they would take time to integrate the new Linux. U stand corrected if this has recently changed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing