Lampizator Komputer vs. Aurender N10

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
To bring this thread back onto its original track, does anyone have any experience using the Lampizator Komputer? I am curious how it stacks up sonically compared to the Aurender N10 or Antipodes DX. Right now these three are the top choices to be the music server in my system.

Thanks,
Ken

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I had a listening session last Friday with the Aurender N10 as source (tried out various dCS and Emm Labs dacs). I wasn't that impressed, but it sounded better then a stock computer. The looks of the machine and the usability (especially for people that have little experience with a computer) are good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am building a CAPS 4 like PC because HQP and Bughead are the way to go, and the easy upgrades to a PC based on the improvements that happen every year will be impossible for a fixed product like Aurender to keep up with.

I haven't heard the Lampi yet, but where it clearly has advantages over my PC is that Lukasz is adding his own magic to the power supply. The Jriver plug in integrates with Bughead so one gets the GUI friendliness with the Bughead SQ. I think they are attempting to upsample through HQP to let Bughead play natively but not sure about that. Wisnon will know better.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Upsample with Jriver to dsd256, in order to keep the great GUI. Lukasz does nit think that the inferiority of upconversion vs HQP matters that much when BHE is the final playback engine.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I had a listening session last Friday with the Aurender N10 as source (tried out various dCS and Emm Labs dacs). I wasn't that impressed, but it sounded better then a stock computer. The looks of the machine and the usability (especially for people that have little experience with a computer) are good.

Just curious, but what exactly you didn't like about it?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
It is a C.A.P.S. machine. Also, the best media servers are with audio - only purpose built motherboards. MBs from ODMs are garbage. I've worked with ODMs and OEMs for ~10 years building them as part of client PCs. Not that you cannot get good sound with a x86 Media PC, just not world class. BTW - I have the same case, bet mine costs me less...

Update from Lampizator's site: $320 US$ for a 7" tablet!! That's ~$200 over retail!!!!

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I was wondering if anyone has recently purchased a Lampizator Komputer and if so, could offer their opinion on it sound quality and functionality.

Thanks,
Ken

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Update from Lampizator's site: $320 US$ for a 7" tablet!! That's ~$200 over retail!!!!

Simple, buy retail then! I am sure Lampi does not want to be in the tablet business, but offers one for completeness sake for those who dont want to get their own via normal retail channels.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I was wondering if anyone has recently purchased a Lampizator Komputer and if so, could offer their opinion on it sound quality and functionality.

Thanks,
Ken
I only heard one at the Warsaw show...but I didn't operate it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It is a C.A.P.S. machine. Also, the best media servers are with audio - only purpose built motherboards. MBs from ODMs are garbage. I've worked with ODMs and OEMs for ~10 years building them as part of client PCs. Not that you cannot get good sound with a x86 Media PC, just not world class. BTW - I have the same case, bet mine costs me less...

Lukasz himself has said everyone should build one. He sells it because his clients would like a one-stop shop. And yes, everything he touches has magic.

khonfused

Jun 15, 2015
Bavaria
Lukasz himself has said everyone should build one. He sells it because his clients would like a one-stop shop. And yes, everything he touches has magic.

That makes me want to shake his hand now.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
FWIW, I have 2 CAPS-like builds, one with a XEON processor and one with and i7, both with upgraded parts including Paul Pang's USB card. I also have an Aurender N100H. I have used all of these with my Big 7, via USB. I prefer the N100H by a pretty good margin. I have not ever listened to the Komputer so I can't comment on it. I also prefer the lack of tinkering required by the Aurender as compared to the CAPS builds running Jriver and Audiophile Optimizer.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
FWIW, I have 2 CAPS-like builds, one with a XEON processor and one with and i7, both with upgraded parts including Paul Pang's USB card. I also have an Aurender N100H. I have used all of these with my Big 7, via USB. I prefer the N100H by a pretty good margin. I have not ever listened to the Komputer so I can't comment on it. I also prefer the lack of tinkering required by the Aurender as compared to the CAPS builds running Jriver and Audiophile Optimizer.

A good reclocker in your I2S/DSD path would nullify the need for anything besides a sub $200 computer for your renderer for best performance. And yes it will out preform your Aurender and Caps computer. But the drawback is the $235 cost and 10 minutes labor to install.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

What LPS and software do you use on the caps? Also is this built to caps 4 specs, or earlier?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
What LPS and software do you use on the caps? Also is this built to caps 4 specs, or earlier?

Isn't CAPS 4 an Intel NUC? I don't recall the LPS, but it is at least CAPS 3 and runs windows server 2012 R2 with Audiophile optimizer.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Isn't CAPS 4 an Intel NUC? I don't recall the LPS, but it is at least CAPS 3 and runs windows server 2012 R2 with Audiophile optimizer.

No, from what I have heard from the likes of Elberoth, CAPS 4 is a good jump over CAPS 3.

Power supply, software used, also makes bid difference, apart from the H/W

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
No, from what I have heard from the likes of Elberoth, CAPS 4 is a good jump over CAPS 3.

Power supply, software used, also makes bid difference, apart from the H/W

As I said, I haven't heard the Komputer but when I build both of my CAPS-machines 14 months ago I used all the top H/W available including ECC memory for the Xeon build. I prefer the N100H over both the machines.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As I said, I haven't heard the Komputer but when I build both of my CAPS-machines 14 months ago I used all the top H/W available including ECC memory for the Xeon build. I prefer the N100H over both the machines.

Was this Jriver, HQP, or Bughead?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Looking at the CAPS v4 pipeline, my specs equal or exceed those including the intel mobo for Xeon.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing