Maggie .7 REALLY needs 400 wpc plus????

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yeah Ron does like to throw in shots, framing and comments for added entertainment value so I guess there is "a bit" of exaggeration in there :)

Julie's timeline wasn't clear either. When referencing tracks it was hard to follow if the tracks were listened to before or after the addition of the subwoofers. I wasn't looking for associated equipment that's usually in a side bar. There wasn't one?

This is what we get. Mystery amps:

"I listened first with a tube amp, but definitely heard better results with a solid-state one. Why? The tube amp gave almost too much leeway to the bass, making it less clearly defined. This also left the upper midrange more exposed (i.e., a shade bright). Some might like the more forward projection (not unlike what you’d hear from horn loudspeakers) of tubes, but I liked the more blended, balanced feel of the solid-state amp, so I stuck with that for most of my listening."

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interestingly I have come to conclusion, and this is ironic, that Maggies and are for INTIMATE listening, in smaller spaces..with the caveat that you need at least 3 fee from the back wall.

In this type of set up, dynamics and bass will matter little. You will feel engulfed in the performance.

In the end, you cannot fight physics.

That's an interesting conclusion. I absolutely agree with you. I think the design presents itself as a BIG speaker, when in many ways it really is not.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That's an interesting conclusion. I absolutely agree with you. I think the design presents itself as a BIG speaker, when in many ways it really is not.

EXACTLY!!

I think the notion of folks feeling they need mega watt amps to drive these panels to make
them something they are not is serious tail chasing.

Magnepan themselves admit if you take away the frame their speakers are really not big despite their appearance.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interestingly I have come to conclusion, and this is ironic, that Maggies are for INTIMATE listening, in smaller spaces..with the caveat that you need at least 3 fee from the back wall.

In this type of set up, dynamics and bass will matter little. You will feel engulfed in the performance.

In the end, you cannot fight physics.

Intimate is a good word to describe the Maggie experience. I've been a cone speaker user from the early 80s till 1997, when 2 pairs of Maggies entered my listening room ( I had to choose one of the models), and from that time on I have not seriously flirted with the idea of going back to cones. And that's because they were that intimate in relating my music to me. The speakers that my MG2.7QR replaced was the then top-of-the-line B&W Matrix 800 with four 12 inch woofers (2 per side). In the end, I found the bass excessive and fatiguing. With the 2.7s, the bass would be less than ideal, but what they did overall made me forget the lack of bass. It was very livable, and tailor fit for intimate music that I mostly listen to. That's why Andre, I agree with you 100%, "dynamics and bass will matter little". And by the way, I have 115 tube watts driving them, and I never heard distortion even at my max tolerance level. And well, I still have to say the tubes render the speakers even more intimate. :)

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I do believe the 2.xs and above, heck even the 1.xs are different animals. Magnepan themselves admit that the .7 lacks the "bite" on the bass of the 1.7 because of the small bass panel size. That's why they offer additional bass panels to match with them.

I have heard jadis' system many times and his ARC is indeed plenty for them. I'm pretty sure the Rogue would be too.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Intimate is a good word to describe the Maggie experience. I've been a cone speaker user from the early 80s till 1997, when 2 pairs of Maggies entered my listening room ( I had to choose one of the models), and from that time on I have not seriously flirted with the idea of going back to cones. And that's because they were that intimate in relating my music to me. The speakers that my MG2.7QR replaced was the then top-of-the-line B&W Matrix 800 with four 12 inch woofers (2 per side). In the end, I found the bass excessive and fatiguing. With the 2.7s, the bass would be less than ideal, but what they did overall made me forget the lack of bass. It was very livable, and tailor fit for intimate music that I mostly listen to. That's why Andre, I agree with you 100%, "dynamics and bass will matter little". And by the way, I have 115 tube watts driving them, and I never heard distortion even at my max tolerance level. And well, I still have to say the tubes render the speakers even more intimate. :)

You describe the Maggie listening paradigm beautifully!

I grew up listening to Quads. I can never forget spinning a second pressing of Rubber Soul hundreds of times, and just thinking
John Lennon was sitting right there with his acoustic guitar. It was freaky.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Guys, after mulling it over, I ordered a pair of MMGs' in Off White with Oak trim.

I think it is very clear the .7's, while clearly not needing 400 wpc, need about 100 wpc.

For my office, the $600 MMGs are a nice dip in the water and a low risk proposition.

The .7s, while I am sure are "better", more bass, clearer treble, at $1400, too much for me to spend
for this application, and that fact is I would even have to buy a new amp for them, which then puts my
lay out into the thousands. Not happening.

They should be here in a week.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Congratulations!

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Guys, after mulling it over, I ordered a pair of MMGs' in Off White with Oak trim.

I think it is very clear the .7's, while clearly not needing 400 wpc, need about 100 wpc.

For my office, the $600 MMGs are a nice dip in the water and a low risk proposition.

The .7s, while I am sure are "better", more bass, clearer treble, at $1400, too much for me to spend
for this application, and that fact is I would even have to buy a new amp for them, which then puts my
lay out into the thousands. Not happening.

They should be here in a week.

BIG Congrats on the new MMG's. I have heard most of the Maggie line, but not the MMG's. They do get a great write up and I'm sure will make a great speaker choice for your office.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Office? Good luck getting any work done :p:D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Congrats!

They look very similar to the SMG speakers I had. I used to throw parties with them!!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
BIG Congrats on the new MMG's. I have heard most of the Maggie line, but not the MMG's. They do get a great write up and I'm sure will make a great speaker choice for your office.

$600 delivered. 60 days in home trial/return period. No brainer.

The .7 is $1400, + tax. That leaves me $800+ extra in my pocket.

The MMG is 15 lbs, and easy to move and store. If I really fall in love with them I can use this purchase for credit
towards the higher models within one year.

What can go wrong!??;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Congrats!

They look very similar to the SMG speakers I had. I used to throw parties with them!!

Thanks! Magnepan claims they actually lose money on the MMG. They are betting on folks getting hooked and
move up the line, where the profit margin is. We shall see!

It was between black, gray, or off white. Trim options were Oak, Walnut, and Black.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

The MMG is 15 lbs, and easy to move and store. If I really fall in love with them I can use this purchase for credit

What can go wrong!??;)

Sounds great. If you decide to go up the line, do you have to buy from the local dealer, or are they also shipped direct?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

What can go wrong!??;)

Nothing can go wrong really, and I'd like to move there if there are new immigration openings. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And those .7 oval stands are lovely. I looked at my 2 black metal bars stands and they look neolithic. :D

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
there is driving a speaker, and there is driving a speaker.

its easy to hear ss clipping, harder on the tube front.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing