What is the Best, Most MUSICALLY Transparent Speaker for $5K? Must do Classic Rock!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Who are the contenders for most MUSICALLY Transparent (vs. "Transparency to Source" speakers which highlight sound artifacts instead of music) best speakers for $5K or less?

For a friend trying to get into high end hobby, who listens to a lot of Classic Rock, not only for the audiophile.

Thank You!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Who are the contenders for most MUSICALLY Transparent (vs. "Transparency to Source" speakers which highlight sound artifacts instead of music) best speakers for $5K or less?

For a friend trying to get into high end hobby, who listens to a lot of Classic Rock, not only for the audiophile.

Thank You!

Martin Logan, any electrostat model, or Quads, depending on budget. Logans will have better bass impacts than Quads. He can also buy Audio Exklusiv, a full range electrostat panel, from German, used around 4k EUR - the late Mr. Acoustat loved this speaker. At this level I don't think cone speakers compete, and you need to go much higher up the budget line to match a stat. He needs to have have room to pull them out 3.5 feet at least from the front wall, minimum 6 feet apart.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Martin Logan, any electrostat model, or Quads, depending on budget. Logans will have better bass impacts than Quads. He can also buy Audio Exklusiv, a full range electrostat panel, from German, used around 4k EUR - the late Mr. Acoustat loved this speaker. At this level I don't think cone speakers compete, and you need to go much higher up the budget line to match a stat. He needs to have have room to pull them out 3.5 feet at least from the front wall, minimum 6 feet apart.

Thank you. What do you think is that price equivalency point b/w a stat and a cone speaker?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Take a look a the Revel Peforma 3 series. I have a pair of F206's integrated with a sub and it is a really nice system.

Rob:)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
tough to beat Zu Druids at that price point for jamming to rock music. absolutely fantastic with guitars. without crossover, very holistic presentation as opposed to identifying a pin drop in the 5th seat in, 3rd row back of the LA Philharmonic. 60-day return policy as well.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gotta ROCK with Rock right? No wispies or wimpies allowed?

Vortex Acoustics VR-33 $3,750

Emerald Physics CS2P $2,995

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gotta ROCK with Rock right? No wispies or wimpies allowed?

Vortex Acoustics VR-33 $3,750

I was unfamiliar with this speaker so I looked it up. That sure looks like a lot of speaker for the money -- and from a great name!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you. What do you think is that price equivalency point b/w a stat and a cone speaker?

Tough to say - at the point where a good cone speaker can beat the Martin Logan Summits or the Analysis Audio, you can start affording horns (if you have the space - if you don't have the space, then cones are fine, but I would rather go Vivid Giya or MBL. For me only reason to buy Box cabinets is for small rooms, if they can go close to the wall (Audionote, Tannoys, standamounts). They can fit furniture better. But bigger boxes which you have to pull out anyway to avoid bass boom just don't make sense. If one likes rock, though, makes sense to have small boxes crossed over with DSP to subs - a powerful enough system but not too revealing.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Ron,

Yup a lot of speaker for the money. it is one of three models that are factory direct and US market only. Interestingly there are upgrade options like teflon bypass caps that nudge the price a bit over the OP's ceiling. They saved money by going with the socks instead of expensive veneers or automotive paint.

I think it is a great option for a person just getting into the hobby because aside from price, these are meant to be placed close to the front walls. As in REALLY close. This avoids a significant amount of "significant other" shock. LOL.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Jack,

They seem like a great option for someone who wants good sound and wants to keep it simple.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
PSB, Usher, Paradigm and Tyler come to mind. All excellent $/sonics ratio.

I'd steer away from planars unless you have significant power and ability to play with low impedances.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Usher Mini Dancer 2 is a great speaker that is transparent but very dynamic. I recently got my first pair of Rosso Fiorentino speakers in, the $4500 Elba, and I've been very impressed. Usher has long been my staple at that price point, but the Rosso's definitely challenge that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
PSB, Usher, Paradigm and Tyler come to mind. All excellent $/sonics ratio.

I'd steer away from planars unless you have significant power and ability to play with low impedances.

The ESL works beautifully with the cheap Quad amps. Also Krell integrateds are available cheap. For that budget it is easy - many power options

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Golden Ear Technology, Triton 1....... I've heard them. They rock!! And at that price, they are more than strong contenders......

Cheers

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The ESL works beautifully with the cheap Quad amps. Also Krell integrateds are available cheap. For that budget it is easy - many power options
I would have preferred to see you use the word "inexpensive". ;)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A pair of gently used Genesis G7.1f full-range speakers. 70% of my listening is rock, 15% blues, 10% jazz and 5% Classical.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
... at the point where a good cone speaker can beat the Martin Logan Summits or the Analysis Audio, you can start affording horns...

Arguably there are high-resolution modern horn systems within the price range of caesar's friend. Pi Speakers comes to mind (with the optional higher-end drivers), GedLee, Tyler Acoustics, and yours truly dabbles in that area as well. I haven't heard any of Tyler's Pro Dynamics line but imo the configurations are well thought-out. Earl Geddes (of GedLee) was my mentor.

One advantage of going with prosound-type drivers is their superior thermal characteristics. Short-term thermal effects (compression of peaks) sets in well before a driver approaches its rated power handling, and horn systems tend to have very good behavior in this area because they're typically operating at a very small fraction of their rated thermal power handling. Of course the key is making a horn speaker that doesn't sound like a horn, but ime that's no longer the hurdle it once was.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing