Analog and Sailing

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, beaur. Maintenance is indeed often overlooked. Just keeping the brightwork looking good on this boat is a lot of work. Same with analog. Cartridge rebuilds, cleaning records, replacing belts, cleaning styli, all the adjustments previously mentioned, etc.
Oh, powerboats require huge maintenance. I had a 32 foot power catamaran and while it was still new, had the steering rod come apart while we were in rough waters. Shut the engines down, crawled inside that bay with hot engine an inch from my nose and a wave comes over and dumps a ton of sea water on the engine. I get soaked and am dying of steam on my face. Get out and use the two engines for steering. Make it back to our mooring, go in there and notice a tiny little set screw had come loose, causing the hydraulic rams to no longer turn the engines left and right. A tiny bit of nail polish took care of it coming loose.

I spent 90% of my time maintaining the thing than using it and so eventually sold it. I lost $30,000 per year for that period even though I did vast majority of the work myself!

What is the old saying? Best days of boat ownership is the day you buy it, and the day you sell it! :D

We downsized to a much smaller fishing boat and the darn thing still requires more maintenance than we use it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Why is this in the Turntable forum?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's a verisimilitude...in setting up one's turntable for optimal performance versus operating a sailing boat. It adds a certain cachet...je ne sais pas quoi mais c'est pas grave c'est beau quand meme. :b ...Like sailing with the analog/natural elements of earth, wind, water, peace, relaxation, ...sweet melodies.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's a stretch, that's what it is.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Why is this in the Turntable forum?

Johnny, In which forum do you suggest this thread be posted?

I thought about the boat forum, but I thought my analogy would be lost on all of the fishing/power boat enthusiasts. And it is not about general audio but more specifically the constant adjustments and tweaking that go on if one is interested in optimizing the performance of an analog front end. I found this similar in broad terms to what is required to squeeze out the best boat speed from a sailboat.

I dared not post it in the science thread, though both subjects are about precision and measurements, mostly angles, speeds, weight and tilts. The analogy is surely a stretch, but I explained why it came up in the OP. And stretching can be kind of fun if it brings levity and a new way of looking at things to a particular topic.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Peter, I think you can take the analogy further. I'm not a sailor but was an avid car enthusiast. Aside from the issues of set-up that you raised, there is the issue of how visceral the experience once 'behind the wheel' at speed-when you are actually using the thing for its intended purpose, not just getting it 'ready.' I can get more joy from a well-set up older Porsche than from the latest bling exotic from Italy (and I've owned quite a few of both). At a certain point, it's not about the specs, or the theory, but a combination of things that have to do with weight, balance, and a certain immediacy of the experience. That doesn't happen all the time in analog, but when, with the right recording, it does, it is a transcendent experience. I don't pretend to have professional qualifications as a driver--far from it compared to others who have spent years honing their skills and have the instincts- but I know what it is like to be almost part of the vehicle. (I've experienced this on motorcycles as well, and would imagine that sailing the right boat that is set up 'just so' has to be the same kind of 'being part of the thing' that takes you beyond yourself). That, to me, is what it is all about, and why it is worth the trouble of fussing with the gear.
And no, I haven't done any acid recently. :)

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Gee, I have been doing hi-fi and sailboat racing (and speedskate racing) for several decades, but never noticed any similarities between hi-fi and these athletics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing