Rockport Cygnus Loudspeakers

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Beryllium Tweeters

Yeah and magico invented the berylium dome ,and if magico designs a large floorstander with side firing woofers its copying a rockport arrakis , dan dagostino made alu speakers long before magico did etc etc
Whats your deal with magico just wondering, besides that technology that works is always copied through history and refined , non frustrated people would call such a thing progress ;)

The Beryllium dome was invented by Focal JM Labs NOT Magico, nor was Magico the first to use a hybrid Beryllium/Diamond dome.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Beryllium dome was invented by Focal JM Labs NOT Magico, nor was Magico the first to use a hybrid Beryllium/Diamond dome.

Could actually be Yamaha in the 70's. IIRC the famed NS-1000 had Beryllium Tweeter and midrange,

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Beryllium Domes

Could actually be Yamaha in the 70's. IIRC the famed NS-1000 had Beryllium Tweeter and midrange,

Interesting, as Focal JM labs was granted a patent in 2006 for the use of beryllium and beryllium/aluminum domes in tweeters and midranges.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20060113144

Maybe Yamaha didn't bother to patent it. Interestingly, since the idea was already public domain vis a vis the Yamaha implementation, the 2006 patent should not have been granted in the first place!

I'm done my hijacking for the day..I promise.

Kerry

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, Yamaha were the first ones, although TAD introduced beryllium in the diaphragm of professional compression drivers at almost the same time. We can find beryllium in diaphragms currently used in TAD’s, Focal’s, REVEL’s, the Paradigm's, Magico's and JBL's and probably others I am not remembering.

Reactions: jeff1225

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Interesting, as Focal JM labs was granted a patent in 2006 for the use of beryllium and beryllium/aluminum domes in tweeters and midranges.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20060113144

Maybe Yamaha didn't bother to patent it. Interestingly, since the idea was already public domain vis a vis the Yamaha implementation, the 2006 patent should not have been granted in the first place!

I'm done my hijacking for the day..I promise.

Kerry

It seems to me that the patent covers the concave shape and the manufacturing process, not the use of beryllium.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Off course they didnt as explained further, it seems like jm labs wasnt the first either , I was only making an example /joke .
Magico used /uses ? tweeters or diaphragms from scanspeak as do many others , at least thats how it looks like , with modifications for the Q series , for that series they may have designed a new motor as well i dont know.
Seems to me scanspeak brought a new berylium dome on the market a couple of years ago and the spin off/cooperation? started from there
See every dome is different as well , the one J M lab brought on the market is an " inverted " dome iirc , i doubt they would get a patent for that though , JM labs used inverted domes as long i can remember also titanium ones
The one scanspeak made is a dome tweeter as far as i can see , with a neodymium motor consisting of multiple magnets configuration , so there is domes and inverted domes each having different diam and motors , each will also sound different , good thing about berylium is is that its stiff/ light and the resonance freq can be put further away , well out of the accepted audio band above 20 kHz

Last edited:

skytop

Feb 6, 2017
Overall the Rockport Cygnus is a real winner. I am elated to own a pair. I cannot at this time even find something to criticize as I can find no real fault with any aspect of the Cygnus’ performance. As I finalize placement and get over 100 hours on the speakers, I will update everyone on any changes I have noticed.[/QUOTE]

You are an owner of the Cygus speakers and your 'flawless' review is suspect. Your review is not critical or balanced and entirely lacking in any objectivity. Your review is disappointing and lacks any credibility.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Overall the Rockport Cygnus is a real winner. I am elated to own a pair. I cannot at this time even find something to criticize as I can find no real fault with any aspect of the Cygnus’ performance. As I finalize placement and get over 100 hours on the speakers, I will update everyone on any changes I have noticed.

You are an owner of the Cygus speakers and your 'flawless' review is suspect. Your review is not critical or balanced and entirely lacking in any objectivity. Your review is disappointing and lacks any credibility.[/QUOTE]

So you expect someone who just bought when posted to trash his own purchase? Hope about a congratulations first...

skytop

Feb 6, 2017
The tall Rockport cygnus cabinet is reclined backward. The highly directional tweeter as well as the other drivers are all pointed upwards. A very poor attitude position for drivers. Timing is also effected with the clumsy positioning of all drivers. Soundstage projection is adversely affected and halographic audio image is poor.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
The tall Rockport cygnus cabinet is reclined backward. The highly directional tweeter as well as the other drivers are all pointed upwards. A very poor attitude position for drivers. Timing is also effected with the clumsy positioning of all drivers. Soundstage projection is adversely affected and halographic audio image is poor.

I don't quite get what you are saying. Unless you position speakers such that they are toed in to point directly at your ears then you are listening off axis. The fact that the drivers are pointed up 1 to 2 degrees would all be part of the acoustic design of the speaker. Andy Payor pays a LOT of attention to detail. I doubt that the fact the cabinet is sloped back and the drivers point slightly up is by chance.

If you are worried that the drivers are pointed upwards then simply rake the speaker forward.

Reactions: rgmd11

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Overall the Rockport Cygnus is a real winner. I am elated to own a pair. I cannot at this time even find something to criticize as I can find no real fault with any aspect of the Cygnus’ performance. As I finalize placement and get over 100 hours on the speakers, I will update everyone on any changes I have noticed.

You are an owner of the Cygus speakers and your 'flawless' review is suspect. Your review is not critical or balanced and entirely lacking in any objectivity. Your review is disappointing and lacks any credibility.[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're being a bit harsh. If you don't like his opinion, just move on.

Reactions: rgmd11

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I don't quite get what you are saying. Unless you position speakers such that they are toed in to point directly at your ears then you are listening off axis. The fact that the drivers are pointed up 1 to 2 degrees would all be part of the acoustic design of the speaker. Andy Payor pays a LOT of attention to detail. I doubt that the fact the cabinet is sloped back and the drivers point slightly up is by chance.

If you are worried that the drivers are pointed upwards then simply rake the speaker forward.

SBNX is just grinding an ax. I'm not sure further replies help this forum.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
SBNX is just grinding an ax. I'm not sure further replies help this forum.
you got the wrong person it’s skytop

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing