Rockport Cygnus Loudspeakers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think I fixed it. Let me know if it continues to not be viewable. Word of warning - shot with an iPhone so the audio isn't the best. But I think the palpability of the Rockports even displays itself through iPhone speakers!

W-O-W! Sounds extremely good!!! Enjoy that! I have heard enough of Rockports to know how great they are, and while i have not heard yours, they certainly seem to suggest what everyone says...which is that Andy Payor really gets each speaker to sound great.

MagicOfMusic

Jan 25, 2016
I think I fixed it. Let me know if it continues to not be viewable. Word of warning - shot with an iPhone so the audio isn't the best. But I think the palpability of the Rockports even displays itself through iPhone speakers!

Thanks a lot Philb7777!! Sounds great, even though it was recorded by an iPhone! Rockport is amazing!

Thanks a bunch! Enjoy your wonderful system!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Try Marten Coltrane 3 . Pretty impressive

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Stupid remark that's like saying everyone is copying McIntosh and Marantz in their tube amp designs because they were the first on the market.

Thank you for your lovely remark, but no, I don't think it is the same. Some construction methods are unique (See also Magico use of tension rods, back speaker mounting etc, copied by Rockport on their 2-way floor standing model to the tee). This guy shamelessly copying these unique features, pretty lame and obvious but I am sure it helps his products sound better ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yeah and magico invented the berylium dome ,and if magico designs a large floorstander with side firing woofers its copying a rockport arrakis , dan dagostino made alu speakers long before magico did etc etc
Whats your deal with magico just wondering, besides that technology that works is always copied through history and refined , non frustrated people would call such a thing progress ;)
Thank you for your lovely remark, but no, I don't think it is the same. Some construction methods are unique (See also Magico use of tension rods, back speaker mounting etc, copied by Rockport on their 2-way floor standing model to the tee). This guy shamelessly copying these unique features, pretty lame and obvious but I am sure it helps his products sound better ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
exchange used for copied ,lol , in the end every one is guilty :p:D

The most widely used type of speaker today is the dynamic speaker, invented in 1925 by Edward W. Kellogg and Chester W. Rice. The dynamic speaker operates on the same basic principle as a dynamic microphone, but in reverse, to produce sound from an electrical signal. When an alternating current electrical audio signal is applied to its voice coil, a coil of wire suspended in a circular gap between the poles of a permanent magnet, the coil is forced to move rapidly back and forth due to Faraday's law of induction, which causes a diaphragm (usually conically shaped) attached to the coil to move back and forth, pushing on the air to create sound waves. Besides this most common method, there are several alternative technologies that can be used to convert an electrical signal into sound. The sound source (e.g., a sound recording or a microphone) must be amplified with an amplifier before the signal is sent to the speaker

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
As usual, you are reducing the argument to its lowest denominator, that ensure a fascinating discussion...

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013

Philb7777

Mar 11, 2013

I extensively listen to both Magico and Rockports for over 18 months prior to making my purchase selection. I'm not sure who is copying who and I don't want to turn this into a Magico vs Rockport thread, but the Rockports to my ears are so much more musical and natural. These speakers are both in the same price categories, but sonically they are very different. So even if similar designs (which I don't think they are), both designers are getting vastly different sonic priorities from their own respective loudspeakers.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IMO there should be more copycats in Audio. How many times do we need to reinvent the wheel? Really what is there to learn about some drivers and crossovers in a box? There is some benefit to using better materials and measurement equipment, although even that can get ridculous..

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
The feet of the Cygnus are large heavy discs. Not sure the Ansuz would work underneath them. It's certainly worth investigating though.
I tried the HRS footers under the Aviors after removing the rubber inserts. Basically it's a black anodised metal cup and the Avior spikes rest on the footer. The improvement in SQ is significant. Higher gain with the system playing louder, more clarity etc. My fav demo recording to determine how resolving/transparent my system is "Joni Mitchell -Blue(LP)". The lyrics with the high pitch nasal twang can be indecipherable. Post insertion of the HRS footers there was a clarity on side 2, particularly the last track with Richard and the Wurlitzer , which I have not heard before.
I reckon any speaker more so heavyweight speakers benefit from decoupling from the floor.
Thanks Altanpax for the insight and taking my system a notch higher.
Apologies Phil for the mild digression.
Pradeep

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Does anyone have any neat ideas on how to move a 200 lb plus speaker around from several feet down to 1/4" or less for fine tuning?

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Does anyone have any neat ideas on how to move a 200 lb plus speaker around from several feet down to 1/4" or less for fine tuning?

Furniture sliders worked like champs for my Altairs...

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I tried the HRS footers under the Aviors after removing the rubber inserts. Basically it's a black anodised metal cup and the Avior spikes rest on the footer. The improvement in SQ is significant. Higher gain with the system playing louder, more clarity etc. My fav demo recording to determine how resolving/transparent my system is "Joni Mitchell -Blue(LP)". The lyrics with the high pitch nasal twang can be indecipherable. Post insertion of the HRS footers there was a clarity on side 2, particularly the last track with Richard and the Wurlitzer , which I have not heard before.
I reckon any speaker more so heavyweight speakers benefit from decoupling from the floor.
Thanks Altanpax for the insight and taking my system a notch higher.
Apologies Phil for the mild digression.
Pradeep

Many ways to decouple effectively.
I put Apparatus Feet from Entreq under my Aviors to the same effect! I am sure the ES Pad from Entreq would have very good effects as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing