Some days, I want to throw out my stereo

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not a big classical listener, Marty, but I feel your audio pain. At least once a week I play in a rehearsal space or club, standing just a few feet from a real drum kit. God, that's a rude reminder of the limitations of audio recording and reproduction technology. An unreasonable facsimile, I'm afraid. But I still enjoy the simulation; I just accept it for what it is.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You give some one a half filled glass to find if he his a pessimist or an optimist. After listening to life performance, normally I feel pleased and astonished by how much of the life performance our best systems can currently reach for us. BTW, it is much easier to deal with the limitations of something when we know we a part of that limit.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is there a pattern here? How many objectivists are classical listeners? I know that Amir is not much into classical, nor is Purite, and now PP says he isn't either. Is Michael (DJ) a primarily classical guy? All these are pure SS, non valve guys as well. Apologies for making this another objectivist - subjectivist thread, but it's Friday afternoon

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Is there a pattern here? How many objectivists are classical listeners? I know that Amir is not much into classical, nor is Purite, and now PP says he isn't either. Is Michael (DJ) a primarily classical guy? All these are pure SS, non valve guys as well. Apologies for making this another objectivist - subjectivist thread, but it's Friday afternoon

I don't listen to a lot of classical, but I do listen to a lot of small-ensemble acoustic music, the very stuff that tubes are supposed to be best at. And I do it with an all digital, active, solid state system. Go figure.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's not the type of music we listen to @ home...it's the live music we assist @...be it Opera, Orchestral, Choral, Classical Chamber, Jazz, Blues, Rock, ...

The first original post of this thread says it all...nothing is going to change that...nothing. This is sparta, what a lovely day, it's the real presence of live music, it's the experience of being the performer, or the witness, it's there more than here, more than anywhere else except in the now, live.

Classical music (Opera) is the ultimate human expression @ the highest level...the human chords, the human voice @ its peak.
Blues singers they're cool too, just not to the grandiose level as Opera singers. Rock singers...like the Rolling Stones, or Nirvana, or Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath with Ozzy, or AC/DC, ... lol ...so far away from the deep emotional impact of the best Opera bands; figure of speech...I mean the Tenor, the Soprano male and female singers, the Opera virtuoso/maestros.

Nothing compares to Operas and Chorales. ...The human voices of the angels, the repertoire of the human range of vocal chords @ the highest emotional level.

That's my opinion, and I still love Blues & Jazz singers (males and females). ...Live, or dive.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I partly agree .classical music has always been the music of the "elite " , hard rock: AC DC , IRON MAIDEN , tells it like it is

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Bob,
Although music preferences vary, I think your standard footnote quote says it very well. Like most of us on this forum, music "stones me to my soul". It's all good! I do not believe audiophiles deserve denigration when some say we buy music to listen to our equipment. From what I can tell, music is a big part of our lives, and it does not matter how or where we get it. I'm currently on a plane and my iPod playing Bill Evans works just fine to put a smile on my face today.

That said, I'll pass on Judas Priest!!
Marty

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is there a pattern here?

Perhaps a WBF survey would be a good way to test bonzo75's theory (I do not know how the survey solicitation is posted on WBF):

If you listen primarily to classical music do you prefer tube or solid state electronics?

If you listen primarily to music other than classical music do you prefer tube or solid state electronics?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob,
Although music preferences vary, I think your standard footnote quote says it very well. Like most of us on this forum, music "stones me to my soul". It's all good! I do not believe audiophiles deserve denigration when some say we buy music to listen to our equipment. From what I can tell, music is a big part of our lives, and it does not matter how or where we get it. I'm currently on a plane and my iPod playing Bill Evan works just fine to put a smile on my face today.

That said, I'll pass on Judas Priest!!
Marty

:b ...You said it all; "It's all good."

* I just came back from outside...where the clouds are now covering the sky...it smells like it's going to rain. ...All is silence right now, just one clock ticking, the fridge's motor humming. ...Wind coming through the open window. I'm getting up, tuning the radio stations...nothing...so I'm putting a CD inside the CD player...Beethoven - Chopin - Rachmaninoff | Lee Yun-Yang (piano) & Sietse-Jan Weijenberg (violoncello)
=> Classical chamber music from Ultra Analog Recordings.
...A gift from one of our members here; Edward (Ed) Pong (master tape recordist)

Nothing close to live but that would do for now...@ home.

Hope you had a nice enjoyable flight Marty...and I have only one CD of Judas Priest, The Best of | Living After Midnight. I must have bought it when in a deep depression over a broken love affair...she left me for my best friend...and I was feeling like Nirvana...the lead singer.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Question: Do you guys sometime while sleeping deep in the wee hours of the morning glory dream about live music performances?

Can you see the artists performing on stage, and can you hear their voices (singing) with the music accompanying?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Morning glory means I can't wee..and Im dreaming of a live performance ..but not musical

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You give some one a half filled glass to find if he his a pessimist or an optimist. After listening to life performance, normally I feel pleased and astonished by how much of the life performance our best systems can currently reach for us.

I'm with you microstrip. I just attended an excellent live performance of a string quartet in a small theater auditorium. Two fellow audiophiles and I were seated directly in the center, twenty feet back from the musicians. The performance and interpretation of Shubert's "Death and the Maiden" were wonderful and it was a very enjoyable evening. One of my buddies, fellow member Al M., remarked that our reproduction systems simply do not even come close to this sound.

Well, I went home that evening and played my LP of the same music performed by Quartetto Italiano on Philips 9500 751. I found the scale, volume and presence remarkably similar to what we had just heard earlier that evening. Even dynamics and tone were very good. The real shortfall was in the absolute accuracy of timbre and ultimate clarity and resolution. The reproduction simply did not capture all of the information of the live event and perhaps that is what Al M. was articulating.

Our other buddy David commented after the concert about what our brains fill in when we listen to reproduced music. Perhaps having just heard this same music, my brain was filling in the gaps that the reproduction could not capture. I have heard that this is a possible explanation for why professional musicians do not care more about the quality of audio systems. Their brains fill in what is missing because they already know how something should sound and therefore do not need high resolution systems to enjoy music.

Regardsless, to micro's point, I was quite pleased with just how much of the experience can be had from a good system. There is nothing like actually hearing the real thing in a good hall, but we have come a long way, imo. A full scale opera or symphony is a different matter entirely, though, and so is Led Zeppelin at realistic volume. But the other really cool thing is that it only takes a few minutes to find another LP of Miles Davis, Carla White or Pink Floyd, reset the VTA, and be transported to another completely different experience, all in the comfort and convenience of your listening seat at home.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I think there is a pattern here. There seems to be a correlation between objective listeners and better measuring systems - solid state, digital, DSP, etc. I don't know about music preferences. There are plenty of digital guys who listen to classical and acoustic music, but there are also many, many classical music listeners who prefer tubes and vinyl.

I wonder too if there is any correlation between types of systems, types of music and whether or not members list their systems in their signatures or are active in music or equipment threads. I think there is a healthy mix of all of the above, but it would be interesting to see if there are any deeper patterns among the membership.

Perhaps a topic for another thread.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It's not the type of music we listen to @ home...it's the live music we assist @...be it Opera, Orchestral, Choral, Classical Chamber, Jazz, Blues, Rock, ...

The first original post of this thread says it all...nothing is going to change that...nothing. This is sparta, what a lovely day, it's the real presence of live music, it's the experience of being the performer, or the witness, it's there more than here, more than anywhere else except in the now, live.

Classical music (Opera) is the ultimate human expression @ the highest level...the human chords, the human voice @ its peak.
Blues singers they're cool too, just not to the grandiose level as Opera singers. Rock singers...like the Rolling Stones, or Nirvana, or Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath with Ozzy, or AC/DC, ... lol ...so far away from the deep emotional impact of the best Opera bands; figure of speech...I mean the Tenor, the Soprano male and female singers, the Opera virtuoso/maestros.

Nothing compares to Operas and Chorales. ...The human voices of the angels, the repertoire of the human range of vocal chords @ the highest emotional level.

That's my opinion, and I still love Blues & Jazz singers (males and females). ...Live, or dive.

That's pretty cool, but cranking Ian Gillan singing Weber's passion of Jesus Christ Superstar on a great system can be a pretty transcendental experience too.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
But the other really cool thing is that it only takes a few minutes to find another LP of Miles Davis, Carla White or Pink Floyd, reset the VTA, and be transported to another completely different experience, all in the comfort and convince of your listening seat at home.

Hi Peter,
I'm not sure I understand why you have to reset the VTA on selected pieces. Is this something you do routinely? I would think that would be rather unusual, no?
Marty

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Please don't. FYI, I have two headphone amps from Stax, both of which are tube based.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,
I'm not sure I understand why you have to reset the VTA on selected pieces. Is this something you do routinely? I would think that would be rather unusual, no?
Marty

Marty, it's way off topic, but yes, I do routinely adjust VTA for different LPs. It improves the sound but is a hassle which most do not find worth the trouble. I discuss this on my system page and in some threads on VTA/SRA. It is one of my perverse proclivities.

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut

I suggest reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. A blending of the arts and sciences can produce wonderful results and there is no need to strictly classify people as preferring one or the other.

I've been a classical fan since I was 10, took up playing piano several years before that and nearly became a professional musician before thinking long and hard about my future. I like tube amps, field coil and vintage drivers, etc. But I also embrace DSP, EQ, and active systems.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I suggest reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. A blending of the arts and sciences can produce wonderful results and there is no need to strictly classify people as preferring one or the other.

I've been a classical fan since I was 10, took up playing piano several years before that and nearly became a professional musician before thinking long and hard about my future. I like tube amps, field coil and vintage drivers, etc. But I also embrace DSP, EQ, and active systems.

I embrace DSP, EQ, too. And like tube amps, vintage drivers, etc. So, I am referring to people who strictly don't use tubes...there are such people who think tubes are distortion, and instead of using DSP and measurements as guidance, use only measurements, and not ears...not to mention that was Friday afternoon when I said this

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing