Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi, hope all is going well ! Are you using the Etna SL with your Nagra VPS stand alone? Any gain issues? I assume you have the solid state gain stage engaged...
Hi John
Good to hear from you. Trust all is well
I have converted both the Nagra VPS inputs to MM and acquired a 2nd SUT, an Airtight ATH2 that can connect 3 cartridges. The Etna SL feeds the Lyra Erodion SUT while the 0.2mv Miyajima Madake feeds the Airtight. I have never used the SS gain stage in the Nagra VPS. Never liked it. Have become a true convert to SUTs. Got the Airtight used but in as new condition from Singapore.
My 3rd arm the Durand Talea2 currently lacks a cart.
Cheers
Pradeep

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi Pradeep,
Congratulations on getting the Lyra Etna SL. I took delivery of an Etna SL in late September and I agree with you that it is certainly one of the finest cartridges available. If you only have about 10 hours on it, wait till its fully broken in - just a wonderful cartridge. I have the Lyra Olympos SL, the Atlas and the Etna SL. I would say that the Etna SL seems to integrate the best sonic qualities of both the Olympos SL and the Atlas into a single cartridge. I am using the current driven moving coil inputs on my CH Precision P1 dual mono phono stage for both the Olympos SL and the Etna SL and its a wonderful sonic match.
Again, congratulations!
Arnie

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Many thanks, Arnie
Wow an Olympos SL. Would love to hear it. I am sure that it must be a one of its kind. I had sent my Etna for repairs to Lyra sometime last year and had the choice of upgrading either to an Atlas SL or Etna SL. I am glad I chose the latter even though it took nearly a year.
Cheers
Pradeep

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

There is an audiophile here with both the Zyx Uni II and Madake. We both prefer his Zyx on classical. Where the Madake works is single instruments or vocals. It was with the FR 64s. What arm did you use them with, and did you get higher tops and more resolution with Madake?

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Jeff that is praise indeed preferring the Madake to the much vaunted Uni II. What is your take on breakin time for the Madake ?
I agree this is a very special cart.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Cascals
IIRC the Skala was about USD 5k when it was last available. The Etna is almost 2x. Off course , price is not always a true determinant of quality but with Lyra (I have owned 7 Lyra models ) there is a clear corelation between price/performance. JC's designs have evolved enormously since the Helikon, Skala etc
I can think of no parameter in which the Etna is not superior to the Skala but these are all my opinions in the context of my system, my listening priorities and my room. If your dealer has an Etna than why not take along your Skala and do a A/B demo.
NJoy

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have just spent the afternoon in a listening session featuring small-group jazz, ending with Bernstein's Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue, all sounding fabulous with the Skala. If the Etna fulfills the promise I may never play the CDp again! By the way, we are well supplied here in Portugal with vínil and more all the time.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Hi Pradeep. Congratulations on the Etna SL! You certainly waited a long time on it. Was that wait typical?

Please compare the Etna SL with the Etna for us when you get 100 hours or so on it and, as long as your at it, tell us about the Madake too.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Pradeep, I used the Cardas Record and put about 120 hours on it. Bronzo, I like the Madake much better than the ZYX in my system. It is much more musical and full. You need a heavier arm to use with the Madake because of the compliance. I would add a 10 gram weight to the mounting of the stylus and it will improve the dynamics of the Madake. I'm using the latest Basis 9 arm and Debut turntable.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
To my ears the sound of Miyajima is similar to the Ortofon SPU A95 Anniversary these pickups have a similarity to distort the sound.
The sound of this dark ship that is trying to crush you!

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Peter B is reviewing the Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux cartridge as we speak. Already proving to be a match for the Lyra lineup for less money.

Another option to consider in this All-Star lineup of carts

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Ozzi all cartridges distort the sound. To me Lyra's are too lean and tilted up in the highs. This coloration may be better in your system, but not in mine.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Atlas is fantastic in bass, speed, dynamics, timbre.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
Ozzi all cartridges distort the sound. To me Lyra's are too lean and tilted up in the highs. This coloration may be better in your system, but not in mine.

Jeffy , I absolutely agree with you cartridges in different systems played in different ways .

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Atlas is fantastic in bass, speed, dynamics, timbre.

Absolutely. Atlas is neutral and will sound like what is on the record - that is good, bad , awesome and everything in between.

Lyra only sounds lean or tilted up in the highs if the system has those tendancies.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Peter B is reviewing the Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux cartridge as we speak. Already proving to be a match for the Lyra lineup for less money.

Another option to consider in this All-Star lineup of carts

Is this the now infamous Video Clown? :D fight, fight

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Is this the now infamous Video Clown? :D fight, fight

Because Fremer says so? For every one person who doesn't like Peter, there is one who doesn't like Fremer or Valin etc..

All these guys have a plethora of experience and high end products under their belt. To each his own

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Because Fremer says so? For every one person who doesn't like Peter, there is one who doesn't like Fremer or Valin etc..

All these guys have a plethora of experience and high end products under their belt. To each his own

Personally as a consumer I do not put much credence into the infomercials from Peter B.

I hope someone like Fremer reviews your Etsuro cartridge as he does know what he is reviewing whether you agree or not - he is consistent.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing