Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
I heard comparison of the A95 cartridges, Lyra Etna, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme. Very good cartridges.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
It is the flagship of the Company's , sensitivesound.com VIOLET T-8.
I did not hear him, but order another level, INDIGO Y-12 MC.

I compare three pickups:
Koetsu Black MC, Transfiguration Spirit MC, Sensitive Sound INDIGO Y-12 MC.
Soon there will be a photo!

Attachments

• Magical Snap - 2015.11.27 23.40 - 001.jpg
    Magical Snap - 2015.11.27 23.40 - 001.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 955
Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Barry
I own the Atlas and the Etna and I am putting the Atlas up for sale.

That is interesting. Jfrech and Albert Porter also just recently sold their Atlas cartridges. I think there is a move toward a more balanced sound, one with sufficient speed and detail but also a beautiful portrayal of harmonics, and rich, warm midrange, and good weight and body. Extension and resolution are also important. A well balanced cartridge should have many fine characteristics but should not over emphasize one at the expense of another.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
That is interesting. Jfrech and Albert Porter also just recently sold their Atlas cartridges. I think there is a move toward a more balanced sound, one with sufficient speed and detail but also a beautiful portrayal of harmonics, and rich, warm midrange, and good weight and body. Extension and resolution are also important. A well balanced cartridge should have many fine characteristics but should not over emphasize one at the expense of another.

sounds like a description of the Ortofon MC Anna. it walks that balance spectacularly to my ears. needs a low noise high output phono stage and micro-dynamic capable system.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
sounds like a description of the Ortofon MC Anna. it walks that balance spectacularly to my ears. needs a low noise high output phono stage and micro-dynamic capable system.

So I have read. I would like to hear an Ortofon Anna. It is described like what I hear with the AirTight Supreme/MSL Signature Gold, but at a lower price. Mike, what other cartridges did you listen to when choosing the Anna? If I recall, you had A90s on those Durand arms and a mono cartridge. Does Jtinn represent other high end MC cartridges besides Ortofon?

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
Air Tight PC-1 Supreme
This cartridge has a dirty tone voice.
If you listen to jazz and classical this cartridge is true gem.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
So I have read. I would like to hear an Ortofon Anna. It is described like what I hear with the AirTight Supreme/MSL Signature Gold, but at a lower price. Mike, what other cartridges did you listen to when choosing the Anna? If I recall, you had A90s on those Durand arms and a mono cartridge. Does Jtinn represent other high end MC cartridges besides Ortofon?

I did not have other competitive cartridges in the same system at the same time with the Anna. but over a few years I've heard them all and also had pretty specific feedback from a few Anna users who see all the top ones. even guys who set up a number of arms in multiple systems.

I'm not in the market for a different cartridge. it gives my Studers all they can handle. the Anna is there with the other top choices.

I know Jonathan does sell other brands; not sure all the different ones he handles.

Ozzi

Nov 27, 2015
Ozzi, Welcome to the forum. What do you mean by "dirty tone voice"?

Thanks Peter, glad hear you.
When I listened cartridges one by one then the sound seemed to be on top!
But I found another method of comparing cartridges.
On the LP record I put two or three arm at a time, and surfing!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

It was a hard decision. I've owned 4 Lyra's (lydian b, Helicon, Skala, and the Atlas). I'm sure I'll get another one day. The Atlas is arguably one of the very best. That said, there is something about the Allaerts MC2 Finish that keeps drawing me in. It's very even handed everywhere, you just don't notice it until you realize you just blew through 3-4 hours listening to vinyl...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Would this do well with Thoress?

THROWBACK

Mar 16, 2016
I heard a back to back comparison of the Madake and the A95 recently at the Capital Audio Fest. Both cartridges were mounted on VPI's new 3D printed Classic arm wands on a VPI Avenger turntable. I only listened for 10 minutes or so (barely enough). Without a back to back comparison it might have been somewhat hard to tell them apart they were that close in this particular setup. The Madake was ever so slightly warmer through the midrange and highs; the A95, a little more neutral and just a touch more analytical to me. It's telling that someone else in the audience liked the A95 better.

I heard that same demo a number of times and I agree with Barry. To me the Madake just had more "body" in comparison. Maybe I was just hearing what I wanted to hear since I own a Madake, but I don't think so. BTW, I have it mounted on a Teres Illius arm, which I believe is the best arm no one has ever heard of. A Transrotor Rondino completes the analog setup. I used to be a serial swapper of all three--TT, arm and cartridge. No more. I believe I am now source-limited.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Since I am considering buying an Etna, this thread was helpful and thanks to Barry for starting it. I am presently using a Skala and consider it excellent, but after five years a change might be necessary. In choosing a new cartridge it might be mentioned that Lyra offers a generous allowance for anyone trading up the ladder from their products. While the economics shouldn't be the sole criterion, all things equal it should be an important factor in my opinion.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Since I am considering buying an Etna, this thread was helpful and thanks to Barry for starting it. I am presently using a Skala and consider it excellent, but after five years a change might be necessary. In choosing a new cartridge it might be mentioned that Lyra offers a generous allowance for anyone trading up the ladder from their products. While the economics shouldn't be the sole criterion, all things equal it should be an important factor in my opinion.
I recently upgraded from an Etna to an Etna SL. The process took nearly a year. I have also acquired a spanking new Miyajima Madake. The Etna SL and the Madake have less than 10 hours on them. I loved the Etna but I have no hesitation in saying the Etna SL is probably among the finest carts available today. As a former Skala owner the Etna SL has my highest recommendation
As for the Madake, it's a very different creature. Lovely,delicious and the champion of winds and strings.
Hope this helps
Pradeep

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I recently upgraded from an Etna to an Etna SL. The process took nearly a year. I have also acquired a spanking new Miyajima Madake. The Etna SL and the Madake have less than 10 hours on them. I loved the Etna but I have no hesitation in saying the Etna SL is probably among the finest carts available today. As a former Skala owner the Etna SL has my highest recommendation
As for the Madake, it's a very different creature. Lovely,delicious and the champion of winds and strings.
Hope this helps
Pradeep

Hi Pradeep. Congrats

What does the Etna SL do over and above the standard Etna?

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Hi Sunnyboy - Your enthusiasm is evident and appreciated but it would help to have more specifics on how the Etna improves upon the Skala which I have had for about 5 years and enjoy unfailingly. I have almost decided to upgrade to the Etna but wonder how the upgrade would work regarding a cartridge that is excellent to my ear. My main source is CD but I acknowledge the superiority of the SME/Skala combination. How will the Etna be even better? I have already listened to it at the dealer and will do so again before I give up the white beauty. The SL is another step which I'll look into.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Pradeep. Congrats

What does the Etna SL do over and above the standard Etna?
Hi Shane
It's almost like the difference between HDTV and 4k UHD....seriously it's that good
Pradeep

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hope this helps
Pradeep

Hi, hope all is going well ! Are you using the Etna SL with your Nagra VPS stand alone? Any gain issues? I assume you have the solid state gain stage engaged...

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Cascals
IIRC the Skala was about USD 5k when it was last available. The Etna is almost 2x. Off course , price is not always a true determinant of quality but with Lyra (I have owned 7 Lyra models ) there is a clear corelation between price/performance. JC's designs have evolved enormously since the Helikon, Skala etc
I can think of no parameter in which the Etna is not superior to the Skala but these are all my opinions in the context of my system, my listening priorities and my room. If your dealer has an Etna than why not take along your Skala and do a A/B demo.
NJoy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing