Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I'd like someone who owns a Lyra Etna to do a detailed review here and describe the cartridge's pluses and minuses and compare the Etna versus their other favorites. The only current review I've seen of the Etna is Fremer's. He seems to spend more time talking about the other cartridges than the Etna.

I'm looking for a LOMC cartridge with a maximum expenditure in the $7K retail range. I could afford the Air tight PC-1S but really don't want to spend that much money. I would be using it in a Triplanar VII medium mass tone arm and a Pass Labs phono preamp on a VPI table. My primary requirement is a cartridge with good tonal balance, texture, sound stage, and most important, immediacy. I want detail, but not a cartridge that would be described as "analytical", but rather "natural".

Looking at the Lyra Etna, the Miyajima Labs Madake and perhaps something you all might suggest as an alternative - Allnic Puritas or other? I have heard the Madake and liked it over the Ortofon A95. I'm looking to find someplace in the Mid-Atlantic USA where I can do an audition. I don't care about backorder times - I can wait.

Thanks!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ortofon MC Anna, assuming sufficiently refined and low noise phono stage......and amp/speakers with exceptional low frequency explosiveness, articulation and nuance.

in that general price range.

Luiz Felipe

Jan 30, 2014
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
MC Anna and Transfiguration Proteus are the best options for refinement dynamics and neutral reproduction. Proteus Just had its project redesigned with new double dampers what bring a still better resolution and quality. But for the both options you need a very high quality phono stage and your pass labs look to be adequate for this. If possible ask your local dealer for this new version for proteus, it is awesome !!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My 2 cents (or is that $7k) is the Soundsmith Straingauge. It's the most neutral transducer I know but w/NO shortage of NATURAL warmth.
I have owned various Lyras, and they either veer into stridency (eg Skala, Kleos) or euphonicness (Parnassus), and my time w/Transfigurations show they can be detailed and neutral but uninvolving l/t (Temper, Orpheus).
The Straingauge is the first cart that gives me the immediacy and verve of the Zu Denon 103, the analysis of the Orpheus, the warmth of the Parnassus.
But in a totally holistic package that means the whole is MUCH greater than the sum of it's parts.
Only caveat, is that it MUST be setup precisely, esp azimuth, or it can come off a little thin.
Get it right, and you won't want for more.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
Barry;343196 I have heard the Madake and liked it over the Ortofon A95. I'm looking to find someplace in the Mid-Atlantic USA where I can do an audition. I don't care about backorder times - I can wait. Thanks![/QUOTE said:
Sorry Barry

Overlooked that you already auditioned the A95.
What did you prefer about the Madake?

Attachments

• Ortofon-MC-A95-Phono-Cartridge-7.jpg
    Ortofon-MC-A95-Phono-Cartridge-7.jpg
    947.3 KB · Views: 2,459
Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'd like someone who owns a Lyra Etna to do a detailed review here and describe the cartridge's pluses and minuses and compare the Etna versus their other favorites. The only current review I've seen of the Etna is Fremer's. He seems to spend more time talking about the other cartridges than the Etna.

I'm looking for a LOMC cartridge with a maximum expenditure in the $7K retail range. I could afford the Air tight PC-1S but really don't want to spend that much money. I would be using it in a Triplanar VII medium mass tone arm and a Pass Labs phono preamp on a VPI table. My primary requirement is a cartridge with good tonal balance, texture, sound stage, and most important, immediacy. I want detail, but not a cartridge that would be described as "analytical", but rather "natural".

Looking at the Lyra Etna, the Miyajima Labs Madake and perhaps something you all might suggest as an alternative - Allnic Puritas or other? I have heard the Madake and liked it over the Ortofon A95. I'm looking to find someplace in the Mid-Atlantic USA where I can do an audition. I don't care about backorder times - I can wait.

Thanks!

Given you have a Pass Labs phono stage, you should be able to easily drive a .2mv cartridge. I've used 3 cartridges with my Tri Planar VII u2. Lyra Skala, Lyra Atlas and Allaerts MC2 Finish. They are all very very good. If your priorities are immediacy and natural portrayal, the Allaerts would win out from the 3 I've tried. The Atlas has more drive and explosive dynamics, the Skala more midrange beauty vs the Atlas, the Allaerts is very even handed up and down the frequency range, posses the beauty of the skala and is the imaging champ. The way the Alerts separates and presents things is space is really special. All 3 are very good.

I have not tried the Etna yet.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Interesting. Why do you think that the Madake sounds better than the Etna?

MorningD, I will admit to not trying an Etna in my own system--but auditioning one with the Triplanar/Brinkmann/ARC Phono don't get me wrong the Lyra's are excellent carts-I greatly admire the Atlas --not so much the Etna when I heard it and I did not take up an offer to audition further myself

Just the feeling one gets that something just doesn't gel--but nevertheless fine cart and one definitely to be auditioned seriously if the mood takes--not in my case however.

In the Madake it just sounded "right" pure clean Vocals /Mids with bass weight and pristine trebles--with proper alignment/setup it just floats ones boat:D!

The carts I compared it to in my own system were Ortofon A90, Shindo SPU/and previous decks recalled impressions of Koetsu Onyx/ Allaerts Boron/EMT TSD/Decca London/

to my ears the Madake was the winner but it is only this guys opinion

YVMV

Good Hunting

BruceD

Proviso --the A90 replicant will possibly only last 1000hrs to less-- it seems susceptible to rapid wear--pity it's a phenomenal sounding Cart

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Sorry Barry

Overlooked that you already auditioned the A95.
What did you prefer about the Madake?

I heard a back to back comparison of the Madake and the A95 recently at the Capital Audio Fest. Both cartridges were mounted on VPI's new 3D printed Classic arm wands on a VPI Avenger turntable. I only listened for 10 minutes or so (barely enough). Without a back to back comparison it might have been somewhat hard to tell them apart they were that close in this particular setup. The Madake was ever so slightly warmer through the midrange and highs; the A95, a little more neutral and just a touch more analytical to me. It's telling that someone else in the audience liked the A95 better.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
MorningD, I will admit to not trying an Etna in my own system--but auditioning one with the Triplanar/Brinkmann/ARC Phono don't get me wrong the Lyra's are excellent carts-I greatly admire the Atlas --not so much the Etna when I heard it and I did not take up an offer to audition further myself

Just the feeling one gets that something just doesn't gel--but nevertheless fine cart and one definitely to be auditioned seriously if the mood takes--not in my case however.

In the Madake it just sounded "right" pure clean Vocals /Mids with bass weight and pristine trebles--with proper alignment/setup it just floats ones boat:D!

The carts I compared it to in my own system were Ortofon A90, Shindo SPU/and previous decks recalled impressions of Koetsu Onyx/ Allaerts Boron/EMT TSD/Decca London/

to my ears the Madake was the winner but it is only this guys opinion

YVMV

Good Hunting

BruceD

Proviso --the A90 replicant will possibly only last 1000hrs to less-- it seems susceptible to rapid wear--pity it's a phenomenal sounding Cart

Thanks, Bruce.
There is another factor that may be discounted here, and that is the respective output of each cartridge. It would seem that the OP may not be concerned with this factor since he is using a ss phono stage, however, I think it does come into consideration with those who are running tube phono stages.
In my case, all but the Lyra's and Koetsu's are discounted, simply too much noise from the tube phono stage with such low outputs. Somewhat of a shame, as I know several of the above mentioned cartridges are quite good.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks, Bruce.
There is another factor that may be discounted here, and that is the respective output of each cartridge. It would seem that the OP may not be concerned with this factor since he is using a ss phono stage, however, I think it does come into consideration with those who are running tube phono stages.
In my case, all but the Lyra's and Koetsu's are discounted, simply too much noise from the tube phono stage with such low outputs. Somewhat of a shame, as I know several of the above mentioned cartridges are quite good.

Yes I use a SS Phono with the carts I mentioned -and have zero noise-- in your case the Ortofons would be negated possibly as well.

BruceD

number95

May 14, 2014

Thanks!

Good tonal balance, neutral, immediacy... I suppose you may also consider Zyx Uni II at that price range.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I heard a back to back comparison of the Madake and the A95 recently at the Capital Audio Fest. Both cartridges were mounted on VPI's new 3D printed Classic arm wands on a VPI Avenger turntable. I only listened for 10 minutes or so (barely enough). Without a back to back comparison it might have been somewhat hard to tell them apart they were that close in this particular setup. The Madake was ever so slightly warmer through the midrange and highs; the A95, a little more neutral and just a touch more analytical to me. It's telling that someone else in the audience liked the A95 better.

Thats intersting The A95 is a littel warmer than the A90 and a litte more like the Mc ANNA in that respect. If you found the A 95 too analytical i am almost sure you wont be a big fan of the Lyras either. You need something with a little more "Koetsuness"....

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Barry
I own the Atlas and the Etna and I am putting the Atlas up for sale. It's a great cart but I prefer the Etna. In the interest of full disclosure I should point out that I am saving for a TT upgrade and I am awfully short of moolah. I have two TTs up and running and have switched the carts between both tables. All my audio friends are inclined to the same view : in the context of my system,room and musical priorities, the Etna is the superior cart. It's is so embarrassingly good that I thought I needed a reality check and invited my dealer for a listen. Thanks to the Etna(obviously there are other factors at play especially the Wavacs) I am getting a level of sonic bliss and enjoyment that equals if not surpasses the best that I have heard anywhere.
Sorry for the rambling, but the Etna was the last piece in the puzzle.
The virtues of the Etna: it's sheer diversity and range. Brilliant with Jimi Hendrix, Adiago di Albinoni, Diana Krall, I honestly can't find any shortcomings. To provide some context. Carts that have come and gone include both the Transfiguration Orpheus L and the Proteus and the whole Lyra range from Helikon, Scala to the Titan i.
In short, IMHO this is a breathtaking cart ,unrivalled and unsurpassed. Off course, YMMV
Cheers
Pradeep

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Barry
In short, IMHO this is a breathtaking cart ,unrivalled and unsurpassed. Off course, YMMV
Cheers
Pradeep

Well that sounds like a rave review, Pradeep and is certainly helpful! Etna Output voltage: 0.56 mV@5 cm/sec so no problem with my Xono Phono gain (I do need to tinker with it a bit as the last modifications to it still may need burn in or adjustment).

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Curve ball option: new Kiseki blue or purple.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
...In short, IMHO this is a breathtaking cart ,unrivalled and unsurpassed. Off course, YMMV
Cheers
Pradeep

Wow...thanks for posting...I've been wondering...

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Those damn German audio reviewers at Stereoplay, HiFi Statement, & Audio proved so poetic about the Etna that I took the plunge and got it.

My German is pretty bad. They don't teach German like this where I went to school, but even Google Translate choked on the Etna review from StereoPlay. Mickey will have to keep working to maintain literary chops like these:

"Without questions, without weakness, almost without words: Among friends of the superiority the vinyl sound, who really needs more convincing at this very high level. Here Olympus is busy. Our new reference."

"Bottom Line: No, it is not Atlas. But it is pretty much the juiciest, most powerful pickup currently available. With a wonderful handling capability of the middle layers."

"The Lyra has a jump factor and is as open as no other cartridge in this test. It also has a supremely clean, extremely dynamic, dreamlike tone and naturalness. It was natural on instruments and especially voices have an almost magical beauty. Whether Emma Kirkby, Kate Bush or Kathleen Hanna, whether punk, folk or Renaissance - the timbre and naturalness of Etna were absolutely enchanting."

Oh, wait a second, maybe my clean-up effort at trying to make sense of Google's translation output was influenced by expectation bias. Nevermind.

Lyra Etna.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing