Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

Member Sponsor Senior Member Barry's Avatar

Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

I'd like someone who owns a Lyra Etna to do a detailed review here and describe the cartridge's pluses and minuses and compare the Etna versus their other favorites. The only current review I've seen of the Etna is Fremer's. He seems to spend more time talking about the other cartridges than the Etna.

I'm looking for a LOMC cartridge with a maximum expenditure in the $7K retail range. I could afford the Air tight PC-1S but really don't want to spend that much money. I would be using it in a Triplanar VII medium mass tone arm and a Pass Labs phono preamp on a VPI table. My primary requirement is a cartridge with good tonal balance, texture, sound stage, and most important, immediacy. I want detail, but not a cartridge that would be described as "analytical", but rather "natural".

Looking at the Lyra Etna, the Miyajima Labs Madake and perhaps something you all might suggest as an alternative - Allnic Puritas or other? I have heard the Madake and liked it over the Ortofon A95. I'm looking to find someplace in the Mid-Atlantic USA where I can do an audition. I don't care about backorder times - I can wait.

Thanks!

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Madake--no contest

BruceD

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Ortofon MC Anna, assuming sufficiently refined and low noise phono stage......and amp/speakers with exceptional low frequency explosiveness, articulation and nuance.

in that general price range.

MC Anna and Transfiguration Proteus are the best options for refinement dynamics and neutral reproduction. Proteus Just had its project redesigned with new double dampers what bring a still better resolution and quality. But for the both options you need a very high quality phono stage and your pass labs look to be adequate for this. If possible ask your local dealer for this new version for proteus, it is awesome !!

Quote Originally Posted by BruceD View Post
    Madake--no contest

BruceD
    Interesting. Why do you think that the Madake sounds better than the Etna?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    My 2 cents (or is that $7k) is the Soundsmith Straingauge. It's the most neutral transducer I know but w/NO shortage of NATURAL warmth.
    I have owned various Lyras, and they either veer into stridency (eg Skala, Kleos) or euphonicness (Parnassus), and my time w/Transfigurations show they can be detailed and neutral but uninvolving l/t (Temper, Orpheus).
    The Straingauge is the first cart that gives me the immediacy and verve of the Zu Denon 103, the analysis of the Orpheus, the warmth of the Parnassus.
    But in a totally holistic package that means the whole is MUCH greater than the sum of it's parts.
    Only caveat, is that it MUST be setup precisely, esp azimuth, or it can come off a little thin.
    Get it right, and you won't want for more.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

[QUOTE=Barry;343196 I have heard the Madake and liked it over the Ortofon A95. I'm looking to find someplace in the Mid-Atlantic USA where I can do an audition. I don't care about backorder times - I can wait.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Sorry Barry

Overlooked that you already auditioned the A95.
    What did you prefer about the Madake?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Billy Shears; 10-08-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Billy cant read
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Wood MPX Reference Microcontroller, SME M2-12, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Digital: Rega Apollo, Chord 2 Qute
    Amp: Roksan Caspian M2 + DX-2 Ref Phono
    Speaker Kef-LS 50
    Cables: all MIT Magnum M3, M1 Phono, Magnum AC1

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'd like someone who owns a Lyra Etna to do a detailed review here and describe the cartridge's pluses and minuses and compare the Etna versus their other favorites. The only current review I've seen of the Etna is Fremer's. He seems to spend more time talking about the other cartridges than the Etna.

I'm looking for a LOMC cartridge with a maximum expenditure in the $7K retail range. I could afford the Air tight PC-1S but really don't want to spend that much money. I would be using it in a Triplanar VII medium mass tone arm and a Pass Labs phono preamp on a VPI table. My primary requirement is a cartridge with good tonal balance, texture, sound stage, and most important, immediacy. I want detail, but not a cartridge that would be described as "analytical", but rather "natural".

Looking at the Lyra Etna, the Miyajima Labs Madake and perhaps something you all might suggest as an alternative - Allnic Puritas or other? I have heard the Madake and liked it over the Ortofon A95. I'm looking to find someplace in the Mid-Atlantic USA where I can do an audition. I don't care about backorder times - I can wait.

Thanks!
    Given you have a Pass Labs phono stage, you should be able to easily drive a .2mv cartridge. I've used 3 cartridges with my Tri Planar VII u2. Lyra Skala, Lyra Atlas and Allaerts MC2 Finish. They are all very very good. If your priorities are immediacy and natural portrayal, the Allaerts would win out from the 3 I've tried. The Atlas has more drive and explosive dynamics, the Skala more midrange beauty vs the Atlas, the Allaerts is very even handed up and down the frequency range, posses the beauty of the skala and is the imaging champ. The way the Alerts separates and presents things is space is really special. All 3 are very good.

I have not tried the Etna yet.
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Pre & Amp: Nagra HD Pre & Amp
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus on sources, Opus Gen 5 Pre to amps & speaker
    Power Transparent Opus, Opus Source Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Interesting. Why do you think that the Madake sounds better than the Etna?
    MorningD, I will admit to not trying an Etna in my own system--but auditioning one with the Triplanar/Brinkmann/ARC Phono don't get me wrong the Lyra's are excellent carts-I greatly admire the Atlas --not so much the Etna when I heard it and I did not take up an offer to audition further myself

Just the feeling one gets that something just doesn't gel--but nevertheless fine cart and one definitely to be auditioned seriously if the mood takes--not in my case however.

In the Madake it just sounded "right" pure clean Vocals /Mids with bass weight and pristine trebles--with proper alignment/setup it just floats ones boat!

The carts I compared it to in my own system were Ortofon A90, Shindo SPU/and previous decks recalled impressions of Koetsu Onyx/ Allaerts Boron/EMT TSD/Decca London/

to my ears the Madake was the winner but it is only this guys opinion

YVMV

Good Hunting

BruceD

Proviso --the A90 replicant will possibly only last 1000hrs to less-- it seems susceptible to rapid wear--pity it's a phenomenal sounding Cart

Member Sponsor Senior Member Barry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Shears View Post
    Sorry Barry

Overlooked that you already auditioned the A95.
    What did you prefer about the Madake?
    I heard a back to back comparison of the Madake and the A95 recently at the Capital Audio Fest. Both cartridges were mounted on VPI's new 3D printed Classic arm wands on a VPI Avenger turntable. I only listened for 10 minutes or so (barely enough). Without a back to back comparison it might have been somewhat hard to tell them apart they were that close in this particular setup. The Madake was ever so slightly warmer through the midrange and highs; the A95, a little more neutral and just a touch more analytical to me. It's telling that someone else in the audience liked the A95 better.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast