B&O Beolab 90

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
The controlled dispersion (and other features) make this so much less room/placement independent than any 2-channel standard amp/speaker combination...

Pardon my poor reading comprehension, but it sounds to me like you're saying that the Beolab 90 is more room/placement dependent than other designs... am I missing something, or is there a typo?

I would have thought the opposite (less room/placement dependent), hence my asking for clarification.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Pardon my poor reading comprehension, but it sounds to me like you're saying that the Beolab 90 is more room/placement dependent than other designs... am I missing something, or is there a typo?

I would have thought the opposite (less room/placement dependent), hence my asking for clarification.

Thanks!
Yes. My brain fart. Will correct it. Thanks.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Yes. My brain fart. Will correct it. Thanks.

Thank you - that was throwing me for a loop! I didn't want to start an argument with you over your own words, but now feel comfortable quoting from your Stereophile article:

"[Geoff Martin of Beolab] was not suggesting an omnidirectional speaker, but one whose on-axis frequency response remains unchanged through, say, +/- 45 degrees, so that the room boundary reflections of waves in different parts of the room have the same tonal balance as one another. Since those reflections tend to dominate the spectral color of all listening other than in the nearfield, a technology such as Martin described would help mitigate the room's influence on the sound." (The accompanying polar map shows very effective pattern control down to 100 Hz, which is amazing.)

YES!!!

Less room influence (because the reflections are spectrally correct) = you hear MORE of the original venue!

First we had constant-directivity horns optimized to give no audible hint that they are horns, the JBL M2 being a notable example of the breed. Now we have a non-horn system apparently beating the best of the modern horns at one of their own games, namely radiation pattern control.

Of course good radiation pattern control with negligible coloration is a cat that can in more ways than one be skinned. Siegfried Linkwitz, Jorma Salmi (Gradient), and Roger West (SoundLab) have been effectively doing it for years, using neither the JBL nor Beolab approaches. (Imo Earl Geddes did it before JBL, but that's another can of worms best opened on another fishing trip.)

I would expect the Beolab approach to be amplifier-power-intensive, as the more aggressive the radiation pattern control at lower frequencies, the more energy lost to shaping the pattern as desired. This is because such shaping is done by cancelling out energy in directions that you do not want it to go, and at low frequencies, the energy wants to be omnidirectional because the wavelengths are so long in relation to the source size.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's interesting to note that Geoff Martin and Sean Olive come from the same program/alma mater.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Looks interesting but way too complicated for me and a questionable value to pay for all those drivers and electronics. I'd rather have fewer and higher quality parts. I can choose the speakers I prefer and that suit the room, I don't need a super complicated speaker to achieve this for me. I'm open to hearing it and changing my mind, but those are my first thoughts...

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Looks interesting but way too complicated for me and a questionable value to pay for all those drivers and electronics. I'd rather have fewer and higher quality parts. I can choose the speakers I prefer and that suit the room, I don't need a super complicated speaker to achieve this for me. I'm open to hearing it and changing my mind, but those are my first thoughts...

Pity that you will probably take your first thoughts with you during audition ;)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Pity that you will probably take your first thoughts with you during audition ;)

Why? Everyone has their biases. It's best if you recognize them consciously.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's interesting to note that Geoff Martin and Sean Olive come from the same program/alma mater.
Many companies follow this even when they are not specific about it. KEF is another example. Here is a mention in their LS50 white paper for example: http://www.kefamerica.com/july12/LS50 White Paper.pdf

"The baffle design provides a smooth response over the entire forward region, reducing tonal variation in
different listener positions and ensuring the most spacious sound with precise stereo imaging. "

Such loudspeakers sound good in most rooms allowing you to then make a choice as to whether you want to absorb side reflections or not. A loudspeaker with poor side response may force you into absorbing those whether you like that effect or not.

BTW, B&O is one of the few companies out there which also performs double blind listening tests of loudspeakers. So it is not much of an accident to have arrived at similar conclusions regarding listener preference.

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Had a listen to Beolab 90 today, of course in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar music (typical B&O store and B&O sales rep music choice - you can imagine). Of the only few tunes I had a listen to, I came to a conclusion that (IMHO), this is where the future is heading to. What does it sound like? It sounded like I was listening to a pair of very good active monitor in nearfield eventhough I was actually some distance away. I could hear everything, from top to bottom. Bass notes were clear, no hint of one noted bass. Voices were dimensional. No "edginess" to the sound. The only thing that I could not tell was how "refine" the sound was as I was not familiar with the music. Wish I could listen to some classical or jazz tunes so I can make better judgment but as it is, I would pick Beolab 90 over MBL 101 any day already. Would be interested to hear other comments on the Beolab. I will try to bring my own music next time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fantastic experience w/these at the Munich show.
In some ways, the sound of the show, despite my personal favourite on more audiophile grounds being the Ypsilon/Wilson room.
It was tough to draw a proper conclusion because music was played in short snippets, and I wasn't familiar w/any of it. I'm not sure if this was a trick to keep me interested, chopping and changing every few mins.

Bass was the best I've heard from any system, bar none. Fully articulate, no "one note" ****, powerul and visceral as Hell, but fully agile, able to turn on a dime.
The soundstage was a lot deeper and more lifelike than 99% of the 3-5x pricier systems at the show.

For me, I'd have to redemo w/material I'm familiar with, and with a tt/a-d convertor to trial analogue. And there's no doubt it's "one box" ethos with amps/dac's/dsp all built-in and non-upgradeable will put a lot of punters off.
But as a solution to take the OCD out of upgrading, have a solution that is streets ahead of 90% of systems out there for the real world price of Euros 70k, and as a technological tour de force, the Beolab90 is unbeatable.

Suprise of the show for me.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
In some ways, the sound of the show, despite my personal favourite on more audiophile grounds being the Ypsilon/Wilson room.
It was tough to draw a proper conclusion because music was played in short snippets, and I wasn't familiar w/any of it. I'm not sure if this was a trick to keep me interested, chopping and changing every few mins.

Bass was the best I've heard from any system, bar none. Fully articulate, no "one note" ****, powerul and visceral as Hell, but fully agile, able to turn on a dime.
The soundstage was a lot deeper and more lifelike than 99% of the 3-5x pricier systems at the show.

For me, I'd have to redemo w/material I'm familiar with, and with a tt/a-d convertor to trial analogue. And there's no doubt it's "one box" ethos with amps/dac's/dsp all built-in and non-upgradeable will put a lot of punters off.
But as a solution to take the OCD out of upgrading, have a solution that is streets ahead of 90% of systems out there for the real world price of Euros 70k, and as a technological tour de force, the Beolab90 is unbeatable.

Thanks for an honest and not entirely surprising report. The Beolab 5 has surprised me more than once and I would admit that what has kept it from more serious consideration for me has been my audiophiles leanings and prejudices.. For many , once the audiophile prejudices and reticences are out this speaker may surprise more than a few.
Notice that perhapsyou were of all the WBF people who attended the show, the only to take your time to listen to this speaker and report honestly to us.
Thanks for your candor and honesty

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Frantz, the only caveat I would make re the 90's is that music was played in snippets of a few mins each, and the "wide"/"narrow" settings were alternated a little too routinely. Hence the demo felt a little like the early days of Dolby Prologic surround sound where the customer was bombarded by 3d sound effects until the cheque was written LOL. A longer more relaxed demo is in order.
TBH, I'm going out on a limb here and say this was one of the single most dramatic hifi demos I've ever experienced (only one other truly beats it, and that was a quantum leap beyond anything I'll ever experience, and only existed in the 1930's and for 3 months in 2014).
For £55k this truly is VFM on a grand scale in high end terms, and one could learn to love them and forget about the constant upgrade path (well, there's always cables, PCs, fuses, isolation, grounding etc LOL).
It's ability to truly take the room out of the equation was stupendous.

I'm arranging a demo at a B&O store in London, hoping to have a Project tt to provide the analog loveliness, and any decision I make will hinge on whether I can countenace digitising my beloved lp's, 'cause that's what's needed if I go lp's thru the 90's.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Both my gf and I couldn't stand them at the demo at Selfridges

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Certainly a funny world in a B&O centre! When the Beolab 5 was the news of the day, we went for the first time to the Sydney outlet to see what the fuss was about - it turned out to be quite hilarious, from our point of view, because the sales chappie attempted to use their super sexy multiple disk player of the day, which did a weird vertical shifting of everything to play a track - our impressions were that their technologies were extremely flimsy, and so busy trying to look chic that they barely worked at all!

Nearly all the time was spent trying to get a CD to play, any CD that would produce output was a miracle, and so little real listening was had - it didn't impress in what we heard ... eye rolling was the order of the day, I'm afraid ... :cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
a TAD more detail please Ked.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Exactly my findings about the Devialet ... Bass per se is the best I have had at home. I quote you " powerul and visceral as Hell, but fully agile, able to turn on a dime." And add - able to reproduce the bass cues of the room. Great soundstage, yes ... But, considering my preferences, on audiophile groundings something is missing with familiar recordings of acoustic music - believability. But if my listening was mostly amplified music I would perhaps change my opinion.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fascinating, Micro. 95% of Munich was geared up to play gentle acoustic/elevator muzak, then the Beolab90's only good maybe w/rock, processed material.
Thank the Lord guys like of Sean Casey was playing a complete spectrum, from ambient/dub/dance, to rock, to jazz and classical, in the Zu/Mach room.

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Exactly my findings about the Devialet ... Bass per se is the best I have had at home. I quote you " powerul and visceral as Hell, but fully agile, able to turn on a dime." And add - able to reproduce the bass cues of the room. Great soundstage, yes ... But, considering my preferences, on audiophile groundings something is missing with familiar recordings of acoustic music - believability. But if my listening was mostly amplified music I would perhaps change my opinion.

I believe the new Original d'Atelier (D900) closes the gap here. It might only have an additional 100W of power at 6 ohms but it features among other things a redesigned class D board and optimisations to the class A amplifier section (with a doubling of current capacity). One of the first things one notices is how much more "natural" the sound is. It is effortless at all power levels. An absolute joy.

I can only imagine what it would sound like with a decent turntable feeding it. It ain't bad with the totalddac server either.

Oh - and it expected that a firmware release will come soon increasing the power output to 1kw at 6ohms. :eek:

Guillaume

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing