B&O Beolab 90

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I cant find a copy Kal ..
You say "impressive" .. how impressive..
Reading their white paper makes me drool :)
Speaker of the future? Gimmicks?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi
I , also, would like to hear those speakers. No doubt we, audiophiles will "look" at it with suspicion. the Beolab 5 B&O speaker while well regarded by some people in the audiophile press didn't resonate very strongly but it is a very serious attempt at sound reproduction capable of going toe-to-toe with many separate components-based systems costing much, much more... I must however admit that the Beolab 90 aesthetics are , to me , not pleasing ... And the price is substantial.. We'll see and listen :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

I'd say the technology is state of the art, but definitely room for improvement in the electronics area. If a 2 channel stand alone DAC/amp combo was made with the same DAC/amp components, it would probably be competitive at the $1500 range. But they use 36 channels. 36 channels of high end audiophile grade amplification and DAC would probably triple the cost of the speakers.

It will be interesting to hear comparisons of these units with $80000 2 channel purist systems.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'd say the technology is state of the art, but definitely room for improvement in the electronics area. If a 2 channel stand alone DAC/amp combo was made with the same DAC/amp components, it would probably be competitive at the $1500 range.
Apples and oranges. The controlled dispersion (and other features) make this so much less dependent on room acoustics and placement than any 2-channel standard amp/speaker combination that you have to decide on what parameters you will judge. Is it signal purity? Is it imaging? Is it harmonic balance?

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Apples and oranges. The controlled dispersion (and other features) make this so much less room/placement independent than any 2-channel standard amp/speaker combination that you have to decide on what parameters you will judge. Is it signal purity? Is it imaging? Is it harmonic balance?

It's another option for folks looking for an $80000 system. Some will love it for sure.

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut

I think it has a much better chance of being the future instead of this :)

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
I would love to listen to a speaker like this.

This kind of speaker, together with products from Meridian (or even Devialet, as long as we're talking about electronics) are conceived to "simplify" the listener setup, serving a product that has been conceived with the harmony of each component.

The drawback is the intrinsic limit in flexibility during the process of the system assembly (since there's no system...). Obviously this product category selects its buyer community a priori.

The possibility to apply DSP processing that can eliminate the disturbance provided by the lack of acoustic perfection of the room could also overcome the legitimate doubts of analog listeners (these B&O speakers also come with XLR analog connectivity). I'd be very curious to hook a phono rig and listen :)

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
The drawback is the intrinsic limit in flexibility during the process of the system assembly (since there's no system...). Obviously this product category selects its buyer community a priori.
I think audiophiles can sometimes lose sight of the fact that they are in a tiny minority. The engineers and designers at B&O probably laugh long and loud at the antics of audiophiles if, indeed, they ever give them a second thought.

But these speakers... am I to understand that they really do look like a popup laundry basket or those collapsible exhibition signs? Or maybe they are meant to be channelling modern architecture e.g. the Schlumberger building. If I were them I would have attempted a simple cylinder, elliptical, or box cross section with a fabric skin, even if it had the radical shape underneath.

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
The possibility to afford a $80k sound system (sources not included) belongs to a tiny minority too... outside the audiophile community, apart of some wealthy guy who's passionate for nordic design, these speakers are not going to sell in many copies.

The looks of them triggers some perplexity to me too.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The DSP is quite flexible.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I think it has a much better chance of being the future instead of this :)

The world's finest caps. But hard to justify the price. Their resistors are the only ones I'll use.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
The possibility to afford a $80k sound system (sources not included) belongs to a tiny minority too... outside the audiophile community, apart of some wealthy guy who's passionate for nordic design, these speakers are not going to sell in many copies.

The looks of them triggers some perplexity to me too.

I'm thinking they are more of an experiment to see how far they can take DSP. Kinda like an F1 car for Honda. What they learnt will probably trickle down into lower cost designs. It will also raise eyebrows and reinforce their rep as a manufacturer that pushes the limits.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'm thinking they are more of an experiment to see how far they can take DSP. Kinda like an F1 car for Honda. What they learnt will probably trickle down into lower cost designs. It will also raise eyebrows and reinforce their rep as a manufacturer that pushes the limits.
An experiment and a demonstration. The DSP, by its nature, is fungible and scalable. The hardware can be produced more cheaply according to demand.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
i have fiddled with DSP and DRC since the mid 90's .. always looking for that holy grail of tuneability and ability to "remove" the room.
These speakers, on paper , are as far as I have EVER seen anyone go.. a technical tour de force .. a hard core audiophiles wet dream in configureability , placement etc..
the more I read their white paper manual for these speakers , the more I desire them.. even unheard!!
Anyone want to buy a slightly used set of giya G1's and a devialet?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
i have fiddled with DSP and DRC since the mid 90's .. always looking for that holy grail of tuneability and ability to "remove" the room.
These speakers, on paper , are as far as I have EVER seen anyone go.. a technical tour de force .. a hard core audiophiles wet dream in configureability , placement etc..
the more I read their white paper manual for these speakers , the more I desire them.. even unheard!!
Anyone want to buy a slightly used set of giya G1's and a devialet?

Just setup the Giya's and the Devialet in your bedroom:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing