Loreena McKennitt

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Loreena McKennitt is one of my favorite Celtic/World Music artists. I would like to whole heartily recommend her for those looking for eclectic music and an absolutely beautiful voice.

One of the CDs that I like to listen to though not what I would consider her best is the following which is just a remarkable recording:

With my new OMA New Yorker speakers and my new First Watt M2 amp this is just a beautiful well recorded CD. If your system is up to it I think that you will be pleased particularly if you already know and like her work.

Rich

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Loreena McKennitt is one of my favorite Celtic/World Music artists. I would like to whole heartily recommend her for those looking for eclectic music and an absolutely beautiful voice.

One of the CDs that I like to listen to though not what I would consider her best is the following which is just a remarkable recording:

With my new OMA New Yorker speakers and my new First Watt M2 amp this is just a beautiful well recorded CD. If your system is up to it I think that you will be pleased particularly if you already know and like her work.

Rich

Amazing artist! Very surprised she isn't better known!

John

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I bought an older DVD/CD set (Live at Alhambra or something like that) for my wife. We both like it a lot, though the instrumentation is a bit eclectic. I'm glad you started this thread; just realized we have not listened to it since I finished* the new media room system. - Don

* For now, of course. ;)

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I think The Mask & Mirror is my favorite album of hers.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I think The Mask & Mirror is my favorite album of hers.

That or The Visit, or The Book of Secrets is probably mine. But, I will have to go back and listen to my 3 favorites of hers with the new set-up more carefully. I suspect though that the one that I opened the thread with may be an even better recording though not as good for the music.

Rich

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
I've got one of her very early CD's. I can't remember the title of the disc itself but she does a very nice cover of "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress" on it. I'll have to dig it out and give it a listen, it's been many years since I've heard it.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Last evening I went back and listened again to my favorite 3 Loreena McKenitt CDs again. With the new OMA New Yorker Prototype speakers and the new First Watt M2 in the system they sound so much better than they had previously. I still am not sure though if the CD that opened the thread with is still better recorded but it may well be. Regardless, on the proper system her voice just takes on an unbelievable presence and the 4 CDs (the 3 that I listed previously are the Re-masters) are extremely well recorded.

Rich

Last edited:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Gee, Rich, what type of speakers do you have again???

These are good albums!

Lee

Hi Lee,

I have the Prototypes of the Oswalds Mill Audio New Yorker speakers. They are really wonderful as far as I am concerned. The Production versions still have not been released and it is unfortunate that Jonathan Weiss of OMA only brought the Mini horns and did not have these for RMAF 2010. Here are some of the photos to make it easier and a reminder:

Rich

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
She is one of my favorites. Celts populated lands from Ireland to Turkey with outposts as far away as China. Loreena McKennitt knows this, and has attained much of her inspiration from travels afar.

I have several of her discs discussed already. You have to have a system with excellent highs. Any brightness will smear her high register punishing your ears.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
My CD copy of Loreena McKennitts new album The Wind That Shakes the Barley:

arrived today. My vinyl copy is supposed to ship on Friday from Canada.

I am so pleased that I ordered this new CD/vinyl recording and reserved comment listening to the MP3 download. This album is much simpler than many of Loreena's better known works. It lacks the Middle Eastern influences and is almost entirely Traditional Celtic music. It is extraordinarily well recorded and Loreen's voice is just absolutely beautiful. I can not wait to receive my vinyl copy. I initially was giving this album a 3 1/2 to 4 stars based upon the MP3 download. But, now after hearing this on the CD I would rate the album at least 4 1/2 stars and possibly as high as 5. So any of you Loreena McKennit fans out there should purchase this. You will be in for a real treat as to how well the album is recorded and Loreena's beautiful voice and vocals. Just remember this is a traditional Celtic album lacking the Middle Eastern influences. I am just not enamored with the packaging. The CD is one of those that has to be slid into the envelope at the end of the packaging.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I think I have at the most two of her albums, but always worried on my impression that this sort of music is basically the same, so I stayed away from her new releases. i might try her newest production based on your recommendation.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I also have almost all the Loreena albums but the one I like most is probably her second work "To drive the cold winter away". My CD is not with me since I moved to China but I remember that the recording was brilliant and quite natural.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing