Amir RMAF 2015 Picture Thread: Part 2

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here are the pictures I took at the show on the second day. In the interest of time, I have done less to make them look nice. Hopefully you won't hold that against my photography credentials. :)

I also have some notes on some of the rooms but I am going to post the pictures first and then look at my notes later. I will post what I remember though in the process of posting the pictures.

I will keep the thread locked for a bit to prime the pump with some images and then open it up as i post the rest.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
These guys need to be shot for picking a name that sounds like Reel to Reel but is actually loudspeaker. :D

As you will see later, these are single driver speakers but with very wide response for such a large driver. Here are the graphs, more later:

Here is the trick to wider response:

Do you see it? Don't feel bad, I did not either and thought those ripples in the cone were manufacturing flaws, only to be sternly correct that they are the bits that produce the high frequencies! :)

And this is the frequency response curve close up:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Quick visit to my "old friend" the Stax booth. Asked them if the new amps or headphones were any better than my 10 year old version. He said they were a bit but many people still preferred the older version that I have. Yippee! :D He said they hold their value very well.

The guy on the right is Steve Guttenberg who writes for CNET (?) and was asking for a review unit.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Not sure why I took these pictures as there is nothing remarkable in them. I guess once an electronics nerd, always an electronics nerd. :D

Now this a nice industrial design:

And this thing could not be more cute:

I liked the demo track being played and all I could do to find out what it was, was to take this picture. Not sure it is actually the thing that was being played. But does anyone recognize the album/track?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

For some reason, a number of booths had that album cover by Vanessa Fernandez on display. Is it a must-have reference album???

As I have noted before, anytime you see a shot of a playlist it means the people demoing the systems knew what they were doing and were playing excellent music with excellent fidelity:

If you squint and look at the track being played, you see that it is an AAC track, not even lossless! Yet it sounded pristine and if you polled everyone there, none would guess at the fact that it was a lossy track.

If you can read the list, would love to know which tracks you recommend.

Capacitor city! :D Or are they batteries???

I will go ahead and open the thread from here on as I post more.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Horrible display of my favorite brands from Harman (Revel, Mark Levinson, etc.). Both were dealers who had come to represent the company at the last minute. Would have been better if they had not come in my opinion.

I don't know who would put two loudspeakers one in front of the other, forgetting about mutual coupling, it just looks ugly.

They even left the plastic on the M series speaker? You must be kidding me:

Why not just show them in the cartons they came with so that you could sell them out the back door after the show???

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Nah, you don't say! :D

Love the book under the motor!!!

Now this is creativity when it comes to design:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another guy having a mental block on what to call his company :)

Don't you just love how he has tried to dampen the Berkeley Alpha bridge and DACs? :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

I still remember reading about VFET transistor in Sony brochures back in 1970s. So remarkable to see them reappear. Bring fond memories of those days:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing