Mac or Windows

prerich

May 21, 2012
Late to the conversation but as every one knows, I'm down with Windows. I also use JRiver as my SW of choice.

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
I tried various version of OSX, Linux and Windows. To my ear Windows Server 2012 sounds best stock, and is very tweak-able to gain even higher SQ.

patwick

Feb 16, 2016
Most of the comments are correct, it will all depend on what software you'd like to use. Almost all apps in Mac can be installed in Windows but not all Windows apps are compatible with Mac. So if I were asked, I'd personally choose Windows over Mac not only it is flexible with apps compatibility, it is also user friendly. The only disadvantage though is that Windows is prone to virus. If you'd like to know more about the comparison, go to the Computer section of Consumer Top or PC Mag

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I have used a Mac pro and dell laptops with my playback MPS-5 usb X.
The new audivana on the mac sounds much better than Jriver on the dell.
However the best sound has been from an 8 yr old mac mini running Linux(ubuntu) the improvement over the dell was staggering.
I used Jriver on all the platforms when making comparisons .
This has been such a success I have built a fairly cheap dedicated silent ITX mobo + i5, running Linux, plays 8x upsampled 44.1 and 2xDSD (HQplayer and Jriver) with no problem and great sound.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I also had to sort this out when I dived into computer audio. First I tried the Auralic Aries. I thought it sucked. Then I tried JRiver on my Mac and thought I would go nuts as it was not iTunes friendly although it allowed me to use my NAS server just fine. Then I hit a sweet spot, at least for me. Audirvana was the answer. It can flip easily between my iTunes stored files on my Mac and my NAS files. It also sounds great and has TIDAL built-in to boot! What's not to like for 49 bucks?

The limitations of my set-up appears to be two fold. Like many others, I use a USB connector (Wireworld Platinum) from my Mac to my Meitner DAC. Everyone says that is not ideal due to noise, but it's what I've got. Also, people say the Mac Power supply is el cheapo and noisy but again, it seems to work quite well although I'm sure there are better solutions out there. I have an eye on the Aurender, but it too is not iTunes friendly whereas Audirvana works like a dream for me in that regard. Clearly a work in progress, but the sound of my native DSD files is quite good so I'm not crazy about spending more money here yet.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m gonna go computeraudio as well , its easy to install a Windows version on boot camp on the mac, ive installed Windows 10.
You can then choose to boot on Windows or apple OS.
It takes some hard disk space off course, gonna run via the meitner ma 2 usb -usb

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Will be cool to play those cathedral recordings on you tube via the mac /meittner dac/ amp speakersystem , see how much of the hall acoustics will be left to hear in the end

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I also had to sort this out when I dived into computer audio. First I tried the Auralic Aries. I thought it sucked. Then I tried JRiver on my Mac and thought I would go nuts as it was not iTunes friendly although it allowed me to use my NAS server just fine. Then I hit a sweet spot, at least for me. Audirvana was the answer. It can flip easily between my iTunes stored files on my Mac and my NAS files. It also sounds great and has TIDAL built-in to boot! What's not to like for 49 bucks?

The limitations of my set-up appears to be two fold. Like many others, I use a USB connector (Wireworld Platinum) from my Mac to my Meitner DAC. Everyone says that is not ideal due to noise, but it's what I've got. Also, people say the Mac Power supply is el cheapo and noisy but again, it seems to work quite well although I'm sure there are better solutions out there. I have an eye on the Aurender, but it too is not iTunes friendly whereas Audirvana works like a dream for me in that regard. Clearly a work in progress, but the sound of my native DSD files is quite good so I'm not crazy about spending more money here yet.

Why not get the Uptone upgrade for your MM?

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Why not get the Uptone upgrade for your MM?

+1.
JS-2 + MMK (Linear Fan Controller Kit).
Combine the JS-2/MMK with a few of the free tips and tweaks and you have a player that probably beats most "CAPS" builds.
JS-2 has 2 DC output. One may be used for an external HD.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I m gonna go computeraudio as well , its easy to install a Windows version on boot camp on the mac, ive installed Windows 10.
You can then choose to boot on Windows or apple OS.
It takes some hard disk space off course, gonna run via the meitner ma 2 usb -usb

Sounds pretty crappy/messy playing you tube on the apple operating system so far, i play macbook pro usb - meitner , best digital i have are special high res recordings /sacds and dvds /blue rays almost always have good audio.
Played via meitner cd drive or toslink/ dvd player connecting to the meitner dac

mostly played classical , concertgebouw / st pauls /westminster abby, not that much from the hall acoustic left, a bit reverberation yes you hear, but it also sounds a bit compressed

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It is fun to play with testtones , just as expected from graphs /specs , my system is pistonic until 19 hz , sounds just a little bit softer with a 20 hz then with a 30 hz testtone, not much roll off , with speakers placed far out in the room
tried 18 hz and although its good audible it doesnt sound " pistonic " you hear break up

Tried my hearing range on a 20 hz - 20 khz testtone , my hearing goes to about 17-18 khz , 20 hz was very good audible.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Actually starts to sound a lot better , being on the juice for a while , as noise free as it gets .
Its just that the recordings differ a lot .
Great system by the way , see what you play , where its recorded and an unlimited source of music/documentairies /movies .
im sold.
Maximum usb cable length is 5 m , thats about the only problem , i use a 1m length by putting the apple on top of the meitner
Gonna try to make a wireless connection some day

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Further report so far ,... got to keep that apple on the juice , if on batterypower it becomes compressed fuzzy lifeless .
Had the same problem with the battery powered Nagra PLP i once owned .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing