Mac or Windows

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I am soon to receive a Playback Designs MPS-5. I have 2 options for computers for the system. I have an older Dell that I can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 that can stay permanently in the system. I also have a new Mac Book Pro that I can use but will need to remove it from the system for daily use.
What would be your recommendations?

Brad

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That'll largely depend on the software you want to use.

If you prefer JRiver over iTunes, go for the PC. Otherwise, go for the Mac. Or, if you go with the Mac, you can try and use Audirvana by itself, as they have an iPad control app too.

The PC will most likely sound better after you do all the "upgrades" (USB cards, dedicated linear PS, etc.)

Me, I'd just buy a streamer and forget computers for music playback... :)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Depend on the resolving capabilities of your system there may be significant differences in how they each sound. It is true that for PCs there are considerably more upgrade options which will presumably yield sonic benefits over a Mac, but there are also some Mac upgrades too. As for SW, JRiver supports both Mac and Windows so no issue there, assuming you like JRiver.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I get tired of hooking up and unhooking my main laptop so built a dedicated server. That would be my vote regardless of which way you go.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I get tired of hooking up and unhooking my main laptop so built a dedicated server. That would be my vote regardless of which way you go.

Depends on the interface your DAC uses. Most USB interfaces offer the best performance via ASIO. With DSD, DoP creates extra overhead on the computer, as well as higher bandwidth requirements. It also makes for extra processing on the USB receiving end. Native DSD streaming is better. But with most DAC's, Windows and ASIO is required for native DSD streaming. However, some of the latest XMOS based USB chips are native DSD capable with MAC and Linux as well.

Oops meant to reply to to thread, not your post :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I use JRiver with my Mac and had no problems with my MPS-5 however recently updating to El Capitan from Yosemite , it became evident that El Capitan does not work with the USB-X.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...itan-and-USB-X&p=342684&viewfull=1#post342684

Does that serial port output on the USB-X just send raw I2S/DSD or LVDS I2S/DSD?

If so it would be interesting to make an adapter and try out different I2S/DSD sources.

Edit: Never mind. Read your other thread and appears you have the USB-X with the 2 optical cables.

Last edited:

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
That'll largely depend on the software you want to use.

If you prefer JRiver over iTunes, go for the PC. Otherwise, go for the Mac. Or, if you go with the Mac, you can try and use Audirvana by itself, as they have an iPad control app too.

The PC will most likely sound better after you do all the "upgrades" (USB cards, dedicated linear PS, etc.)

Me, I'd just buy a streamer and forget computers for music playback... :)

I have read good and bad about both JRiver and Audirvana depending on whether you use Mac or PC. I have no clue which would be to my liking.

You can put me in my shop with rough cut lumber and I can hand you back carved Chippendale style furniture but put me in front of a computer with instructions and its deer in the headlights time.

I guess I may need to try both and see. Possibly someone in our local Audio group may have a simple enough setup I can get a comparison with my system.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Depend on the resolving capabilities of your system there may be significant differences in how they each sound. It is true that for PCs there are considerably more upgrade options which will presumably yield sonic benefits over a Mac, but there are also some Mac upgrades too. As for SW, JRiver supports both Mac and Windows so no issue there, assuming you like JRiver.

My system as I mentioned soon to arrive DP MPS-5, ARC Ref 3, ARC 610T's, Martin Logan CLS IIz (new panels and rebuilt interface ) 4 ML Depth i subs, Shunyata Hydra feeding MPS-5 and Ref3, Shunyata Python PC's on all equipment, Altair XLR interconnects, Andromeda Speaker Cables. Everything is in dedicated, acoustically treated room.

I realize the which is better is impossible for someone to answer in my system. Just looking for this type of feedback as to why each person likes what they chose.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012

That would be my preference as long as the windows 7 with upgrades will work well and sound very good.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
You can put me in my shop with rough cut lumber and I can hand you back carved Chippendale style furniture but put me in front of a computer with instructions and its deer in the headlights time.

If all you want to do is listen to music, may I be a little insistant and refer you to a proper streamer, instead of a general purpose computer? The Auralic Aries at $1600 would be a good choice. Or an Aurender, at $2600, with built-in storage. Both are simple enough to use that you won't feel bothered or stumped.

Now, if you want to "explore" and try different things, it's always fun to try new software, USB cards, etc., and you'll most likely hear differences in everything.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
For me its Windows and Jriver. Just best flexibility and sound. If you have Wireless you can use a ipad and the Jremote App to remote controll the Program.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Why not enjoy both-- with VirtualBox you can run Windoze--and the music software on your Mac trouble free--no?

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I use JRiver with my Mac and had no problems with my MPS-5 however recently updating to El Capitan from Yosemite , it became evident that El Capitan does not work with the USB-X.

Wow! You are such a techie these days! I am impressed!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My son came over yesterday and and uninstalled El Capitan and reinstalled Yosemite. All is good again. I did speak to Andreas about the problem. He said that in his talk with Apple his wasn't the only device that went down in the update. They are working to resolve it but I am sure it won't come over night.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
There is a multi-page thread on another forum (Computer Audiophile) warning users not to install El Capitan. Apparently it's not just Playback Designs which is broken - a whole heap of other DAC's are broken as well.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Decided to go with PC based system after after speaking with Jonathan Tinn. He was amazingly helpful and instrumental in putting the system together. It turns out it was cheaper to purchase a new laptop rather than upgrading my old one.

Thanks for all the information.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing